Get IntelliPH working without InteliChlor?

I was only harping on the venting because of a discussion I had with another here, in another thread. He concluded that his Stenner had no dedicated vent, that the air could get through the tank's fill hole cover. And since there's no way to redirect that air movement, or seal it up, then surrounding materials could be at risk. (Again, not based on personal experience.)

Very good to hear about your luck with the IpH and no surrounding corrosion, that's been on my mind of late.

Interesting about the vent. I had assumed it was just a hole, not a one-way, because they make it so that you can seal an extension tube to it (which I'm in the process of deploying). I assumed the tube was used to carry off acid fumes. If it was just to allow air in, you wouldn't need the tube. I do think it must vent both ways, though, to allow air in, but also to allow for expansion in the sun. That's a pretty good volume of air when the tank is low, if it sucked in a bunch of air at night, where would it go the next day? Not through the pump, that would mess with the dosing...

Well, I just pulled off the vent tubing and couldn't see through the vent. Not definitive, but not the daylight I was hoping to see to dispel the one-way valve idea...

There's no way it's just vented to Atmosphere because the acid fumes are one of the worst parts of dealing with acid to begin with. Any pressure buildup in the tank could get vented through the system and into the pool plumbing or simply get expelled the next time the pump runs.

having a vacuum inside of the container seems to be a far more realistic issue because of the volume of liquid that is constantly being removed from the canister.

If that did just vent to Atmosphere then everything around the tank would get corroded as has been the case for many people with leaking acid jugs.

There's no way it's just vented to Atmosphere because the acid fumes are one of the worst parts of dealing with acid to begin with. Any pressure buildup in the tank could get vented through the system and into the pool plumbing or simply get expelled the next time the pump runs.

having a vacuum inside of the container seems to be a far more realistic issue because of the volume of liquid that is constantly being removed from the canister.

If that did just vent to Atmosphere then everything around the tank would get corroded as has been the case for many people with leaking acid jugs.

I see what you're saying, but if heat-expanded air vented through the pump, then the dosing would be off, possibly by a lot, at the very least making for inconsistent doses. Plus, how would air get past the peristaltic pump? Isn't that a couple rollers pinching the tube? The peristaltic pump (on an IntellipH anyway) is part of the back flow prevention. Part in the injector, but also in the pump. I've assumed that the rollers are providing that, but maybe there is a check valve in there, too?

The air has to be able to go back and forth through the vent, which is why they provide the tube connection, so you can run that tube as far away from anything you need to.

Just guessing, I admit...

You're already using all of your relays and you're limited to 4 with the ET4.

If you purchase another relay you can use the Aux Extra socket to power the circuit. You can also consolidate what you have now to free up a relay but I don't know what you have hooked up now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
so you'd have to use the AuxN ports? You have a special connector, it looks like Aux4 exists? Also, how do you know the output voltage?

d,

You do not have an Aux 4.. You have a Pump/Filter relay and Aux 1, 2 and 3..

The coil voltage for the relay is about 24 VDC... You really should use the standard EasyTouch relay, which comes with the "special" that plugs into the main board..

See this link.. Amazon.com: Pentair 520106 Relay Assembly Replacement Pool and Spa Control Systems, 3 HP: Garden Outdoor

Thanks,

Jim R.

so I can buy that relay assembly and plug it in the J12 then use that? I then still need a transformer that I attached to the "load" of the new relay assembly?

d,

You would plug your new relay into J17 (I believe).. it is the one marked "solar" and has two pins.. this plug can either be used to start a solar pump or be used as the Aux-Ex (Aux 10) relay driver.

If you plan to use the relay to run your Acid feeder pump, then you need to first determine the voltage needed to run the pump. I believe that the standard pump the comes with the IpH runs off of about 30 VDC... Which you will NOT get from a transformer...

Your very first task should be to determine exactly what voltage your pump needs and where you plan to get that voltage from.

Once you know the voltage that will run the pump, then you need to input the voltage to the line side of your new relay and then connect the output or load side of the relay to the pump motor.

Thanks,

Jim R.

My control panel does have Aux4, 5, 6, etc available to program?

- - - Updated - - -

If the input for the relay is 24VDC, can't I just get one of the wires, and run that straight from the ET J12 or J17 to the pump? Then I don't need a transformer or relay.

My control panel does have Aux4, 5, 6, etc available to program?

- - - Updated - - -

If the input for the relay is 24VDC, can't I just get one of the wires, and run that straight from the ET J12 or J17 to the pump? Then I don't need a transformer or relay.

It looks like you have the ET4 which means you are maxed out on relays. That may not be the case but I don't know why you wouldn't have the remainder of the relays in place.

I suppose you can try powering it directly off the relay board but I would think if something happened it could end up frying your entire board. I also doubt it has the amperage to run the pump...risky.

I powered the relay off of the filter pump circuit and ran the load side of the relay to the small transformer (which looks like the same one that Dirk posted in a prior post) that inturn Powers the intellipH.

I then set up an AUX circuit, named it acid pump, scheduled it to run during the pump run Cycle and set up an egg timer so that if it accidentally turned on it would only run for a short period of time.

I imagine that Dirk will struggle with this since there isn't really a safeguard to stop the pump from running if there was some sort of issue with the filter pump but you got to take some risk to have some reward right? :scratch:

IMG_20181017_113424014.jpg

d,

I am sorry, but that is not how this works... The EasyTouch 4 and 8 both use the same main board and front panel, but the firmware in the ET4 limits you to only 3 Aux relays.. all the extra connectors and buttons for Aux 4 through 7 are not usable with the ET 4.

Also, the DC voltage to turn the relays on and off can't be used to run your pump, because the pump uses too much current.

I think before modifying your EasyTouch, that you consult a friend, or professional, that has a solid background in electronics to help you get this done.. Otherwise, I am a little worried that you might damage your ET, which could cost you a pretty penny to repair. :(

Thanks,

Jim R.

Brian,

That looks a lot more like a small AC to DC power supply to me than just a transformer.

I think the OP is wanting to use the original pump from the IpH, which I believe only runs off of DC, so I'm not sure how a transformer will provide the needed DC voltage???

And I must say... that you do some very neat work...

Jim R.

Brian,

That looks a lot more like a small AC to DC power supply to me than just a transformer.

I think the OP is wanting to use the original pump from the IpH, which I believe only runs off of DC, so I'm not sure how a transformer will provide the needed DC voltage???

And I must say... that you do some very neat work...

Jim R.

Sorry Jim, it is a power supply not a Transformer. It steps down to 24 volts DC which runs the pump head just fine. it sounds and runs exactly the same as it did when it was powered by the Pentair controller

Brian,

That makes more sense to me and is exactly what the OP needs to run his IpH pump...

Can you please fly out here and rewire my ET so that it looks as professional as yours??? :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.