New Build in SC

madtv126

Gold Supporter
Jul 30, 2018
Fort Mill, SC
We just signed a contract for a new gunite pool build in SC. We are very excited.

18'x 38' Rectangular Design
Sport Bottom 3.5ft - 6.5ft -4ft
7'x7' Spa
Filter – 580 square feet cartridge filter
Never-lube valves
Two Jandy (2) hp variable speed pumps
Two skimmers with extra large leaf baskets
Six (6”) inch band of frost proof waterline tile
Silver travertine coping
Two LED pool lights
One LED Spa Light
Digital salt generator
Two Lit Shears and LED Uplights at shears in bench
400K BTU Heater
Pebble Tec Interior - TBD
Robotic Pool Cleaner
Travertine Decking

I would love thoughts on any aspect and questions of course, this site has been amazing and I look forward to sharing pics of build.

3.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 356
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:

"Digital Salt Generator" does not tell us what we need to know.. If it is a Jandy Salt system you need to make sure it is big enough for your pool and that it is not part of a mineral dispensing package.

Salt cells need to be at least 2 x the volume of your pool.. How many gallons will your pool be?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Agree u don't need 2 VS pumps unless u run the sheer decent at same time as spa u may not have enough flow but I still wouldn't want 2 pumps juat me tho
Ah, I missed the shears ... that is likely the reason for the 2 pumps. You just need to decide if you really need to be running the shears and the spa at the same time.

All great questions, I added some more pics. As for the 2 pumps I was told I needed two pumps due to the size of the overflow on the spa, we want to use the shears and the spa together. I originally was going to have deck jets as well with another pump but decided against it.

As for the water capacity I believe average depth is 4.83 feet and around 25,000 gallons total, give or take due to bench and steps and corners being lopped off.

I am curious to see what people think about the depth, 3.5 to 6.5 to 4 are we going too deep in middle to create a weird slope. I am 6'4" and want to be able to float on a noodle dangling and my neighbors pool is 6 feet deep and i can do that but i can also touch the bottom and stand while still keeping my head high enough to breath.

My other neighbor has a jump rock and a slide and their pool is 8 feet deep and the slope is like falling off a cliff when you move out of the shallow end. Their kids seem to always bee in the shallows except when jumping off rock. Our thoughts were to allow the kids to jump off of the spa into a deeper part of pool at our house in a way very similar to our first neighbors.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

For the other questions, the robot is a dolphin, all the equipment is Jandy, i am getting model numbers etc. now.

- - - Updated - - -

Its a Jandy but don't know the model yet. No mineral system my lurking on this site helped me say no to that. Other PB I spoke to said oh you need it. I said why and he said it just makes sense. This guy said no need and I don't like them.

Pool is approx 25k gallons.

I am curious to see what people think about the depth, 3.5 to 6.5 to 4

I love it. I'm wanting to do 4/6/4 soon. If we don't do a sport pool, I'm going to try to make the shallow end as large as possible. In my past pool experiences, the deep-end is not used nearly as much as the shallow end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should get the automation with the SWG included. Aqualink rs (purelink) and iaqualink. Also, make sure that you get the 1400 cell and not the 700 cell.

Going with a stand alone SWG doesn't make sense with a variable speed pump.

A single speed pump is controlled by turning power on and off by a switch or timer. A SWG can be tied to the same power to turn it off when the pump is off.

A variable speed pump gets continuous power and is controlled by its onboard controller. So, that makes a SWG get power all the time, which isn't safe.

Automation controls everything, so everything works together without conflict.

You should get the PureLink, which is the Aqualink RS with the SWG power controller in the AquaLink box.

I would also make sure that you're getting the 1400 cell, which has twice as many plates inside as the 700 cell. The 1400 should last twice as long and make twice as much chlorine in the same amount of time.

Finally got our shotcrete. Curious about people's thoughts on the shotcrete vs guinite debate.
88a74989dbe80810cef6a6268a10a04b.jpg

One goes on this way, the other goes on that way. Both make a good shell for a pool so it is all good!

Do you know what time it is? It is time for your own set of links! It is a lot of info so this will give you some time to start learning it. It will all start to sink in once you start using it:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Pool Math

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Have you started bonding with it yet? aka watering it.........this will help slow the curing down to slow the cracks down. It might still crack some but so long as they are small (cannot get your fingers in) it is okay.

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim,. I have been watering hoping it will grow. I also have the app and book on my phone and just got my tft-100 deluxe test kit.

I am going to test my tap water a few times before filling the pool to just get the hang of the testing.

The forum has been amazing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.