Corrosion Issues With Salt?

CalebM

Aug 12, 2018
Natick
Moved from here

I'm curious if you are still active on this site. I live in metro-west too and my builder is suggesting the same ozone/uv solution. I'm curious what you decided and how it is working for you.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

You will find if you search here on the forum that there are no documented cases of corrosion caused by SWCG pools. Most corrosion in a pool environment is due to out of control pH that is not managed by the pool owner.

As far as UV and Ozone -- read
Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!
UV - Pros and Cons

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

- - - Updated - - -

You will also find that the vast majority of pool owners on this site that have a SWCG providing chlorine for their pool would not have a pool with out it.

Welcome to TFP :)

If my SWG failed today I would have another one being shipped today... I promise the sun has way more UV than any bulb they may install..

Caleb,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the real answers to all of your pool builder's myths... :shark:

I have three saltwater pools and have zero corrosion issues... None!

You live in a place where I suspect they dump tons of salt on the highways... so why would you be worried about a little pool water that has about the same amount salt as your tears???

One of the major problems with a Ozone and UV sanitization systems is that you cannot easily measure if they are working or not.. With a saltwater (really chlorine) pool, you can easily test the pool water so that you know your pool is sanitized, and not just hope it is..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Also note that many pools become salt pools over time with the salt that is added with chemicals like liquid chlorine. Most non-SWG pool owners are not testing for salt levels and don’t realize they have salt pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.