Looking to buy a new variable speed pump - brand/model suggestions?

Culleebo

Bronze Supporter
Jul 30, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello! I currently have a single speed that whines louder than... well, you get the point.

It's has to go. So I have a 19500 gal IG vinyl oval pool, no water features or pool lights. Hayward sand filter. I'm looking for mostly brand suggestions and models (not asking for what HP I need, I'll calculate that - just haven't yet). I would like timing features, but since I have to replace the timer also, I reckon I can just get a timer with wireless capabilities and scheduling options.

Any suggestions of brands/models? Or what to stay away from?

Thank you! :stirpot:

With a VS pump you do not need a timer. They have a timer built into the controller.

To confirm, no SWCG, pressure side cleaner, suction side cleaner, etc?

Lots of options for basic, standalone VS pumps. Pentair Superflo VS, Pureline, etc.

For wireless control some form of automation is needed. The automation needs to be mated with the pump system to be sure they talk to each other.

InyoPools can provide guidance if you give them a call.

c,

Variable speed pumps are not at all like single speed pumps... There is zero need to "calculate" the HP as in reality they are actually variable horsepower pumps.

VS pumps come in two basic sizes.. 1.5 HP (max) HP pumps that have 1.5" plumbing... and 3 (Max) HP pumps that have 2" plumbing. (There is no reason not to use a 3 HP VS pump on 1.5" plumbing)

Most VS pumps have there own built in timer, so having a separate timer/scheduler can't be used most of the time.

I believe that Pentair makes the best pool pumps, but they don't have any that would meet your wireless needs.

Here is a link to OMNI VS which may be just what you are looking for... http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjWyfnfifDcAhVGRqwKHfTiCGQQFjAAegQICBAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hayward-pool.com%2Fshop%2Fen%2Fpools%2Fvs-omni-variable-speed-pumps-with-smart-pool-control-i-vsomni&usg=AOvVaw02XX7edornkmfK3X9J6KeM

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you guys for the quick responses! :cheers:

I guess I don't need it to be wireless as long as I can control the schedule, which like you said the timers are built in. Ideally, I'd like to be able to break up the run time throughout the day for better skimming. The pool is surrounded by pines trees and my life is a constant battle of pushing and pulling pine needles from and to where I want them. I'm constantly sweeping the roof and driveway. :brickwall: It's a fight I'll never win.

Anyway, to answer Marty, there is no SWCG but there is plumbing and a motor on the pad for a cleaner to be plugged into under water next to the skimmer return window. I don't plan on using it unless it has more benefit over a robot (I've been eyeing a dolphin). I'm not sure if it pulls or pushes, but the line goes into the same line from the main pump before the multi valve, so I'm guessing suction. The only other thing I should mention is there is an old gas heater and therefore the plumbing for it, but we don't plan on using/replacing it, so I don't want to buy a pump with that in mind.

So bottom line is, if I'm buying a VS pump, HP isn't really a concern of hitting it on the head because of the multitude of speeds the pump can run on, and therefore can be set to the proper speeds to meet the flow needs for my pool?

I think I'll call inyopools too.

C,

If you have a problem with skimming you can always run the pump 24/7...The cost to run a VS pump at low RPM 24/7 is less than $20 bucks a month... Just a personal opinion, but I would run 24/7 before I would turn it on and off several different times a day. Not sure it would make any difference to the pump, one way or the other.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.