Considering Switch to SWG Next Summer

May 25, 2018
Bethany, CT
I think I'd like to switch my pool over to a SWG next summer since I'm getting pretty tired of pouring in gallons of bleach.

I figured I'd be on the look out for any sales throughout the winter to try to save a little money on the conversion, but I have very little knowledge about what products I should be looking for. Should I focus on the name brands? Most of my equipment now is Hayward. Is there some product that is the industry standard? Are there brands to avoid? What should I expect to pay to convert (I'll do the labor)?

Thanks!

Look for at least a 40k cell (that is the upper limit for Hayward), Pentair and Circupool have larger 60k cells.

If you do not have Hayward automation, then the SWG brand does not really matter.

Are you going to install yourself? It is fairly basic. If so, only cost is the equipment and some salt and some CYA.

c,

The larger the cell the less you will have to run your pump.. A 40K cell is your minimum size.

Here is a good comparison chart showing various brands.. Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features

I am not a fan of the CircuPool "SJ" cells as they all require a salt level higher than 3500 ppm, which means you can start to taste it..

I am a highly biased Pentair kind of guy, but I would not install one of there cells, standalone. They are really designed to be controlled by an automation system.

I would not have a pool that was not a saltwater pool... :p

Good luck with your upgrade,

Jim R.

@Jimrahbe What do you mean by an automation system with regards to the Pentair? Does it control more than the SWG?

c,

Most salt system have a control panel which supplies power to the salt cell.. This control panel also allows you to run self tests on the cell and tell how well the cell is working.

The Pentair cells do not have this external control panel because they are designed to be controlled by an expensive pool automation system. You can run the cell from buttons and lights on the cell itself, but what you can do is somewhat limited.

I have a Pentair pool automation system, so I use the Pentair salt cell. But, if I did not have the automation system, I would use a cell that had a separate control panel, like almost every other cell made.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.