New Owner - High Combined Chlorine and TA - Need Help Please

You started this thread with a CC of 2.5 I believe. That is very high and is a result of chlorine consuming organics in your water. You SLAM to eradicate those organics.

After you have maintained SLAM level FC for a couple days, do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if you have successfully eliminated the organics.

Visible algae means your pool is overwhelmed. Catching it before it gets to that point is good as your SLAM should go quickly.

Good morning. My question is this:
my SLAM target FC is 28 and pool math says add 385oz 8.25% bleach. If I do that, run pump at 3000 rpm, do first test after 2 hours, what if FC is only 14 at that time meaning that it never got to 28 w the 385oz?

Do not overthink this.

"my SLAM target FC is 28 and pool math says add 385oz 8.25% bleach. If I do that, run pump at 3000 rpm, do first test after 2 hours, what if FC is only 14 at that time add enough bleach to get back to 28 ppm.

So you may be wondering why your FC didn't get to 28...

Could be old bleach that is no longer at it's published strength, a lot of organics that really did chew through 14 FC in the 2 hours you waited to test, a math error (with the most common being that your pool is a different volume than you entered), or testing error.

I will look for the 10% chlorine from Home Depot that MK suggested in previous post.

I tested this morning and CC was still at zero which is good news. However, the FC was also near zero. The pool is very clear, can see penny's tail side in 5.5' deep end, and I don't see any green, yellow, black anywhere. The Hayward Aquarite says 3200 (I think it's a t-3). I have not measured the salt. Could it be that the SWG is not generating chlorine?

Do you still recommend I do the SLAM method at this point?

Good morning. So following your advice, purchased 10% chlorine at Home Depot. Added, tested after 2 hours and continued until evening. Yesterday evening, added and got FC to 28 let pump run all day and all night. Just tested this morning and FC is 10. Following pool math, I added another 2 gallons of 10%. Pump is still running.

Am concerned, does it make sense that I've added 8 gallons of 10% chlorine in past day and half to a 10k gallon pool? Again, there's no visible algae, water looks clear, etc.

Can there be something wrong with pump, filter, SWG?
Thank you.

You have algae/organics consuming the chlorine. Keep you FC at SLAM level as often as possible.

Tonight, do a proper OCLT. After the sun goes down, take a water sample and record the FC you get. In the morning, before the sun comes up, take a water sample and test your FC and CC.

- - - Updated - - -

Be sure your SWCG is off. Especially for the OCLT. It is best to leave your pump running.

Did as you said. Pump is running all day. Just tested and FC is 10. I just poured another 2 gallons of 10%, that’s 10 gallons since we started this thread. I will test again in the morning.

Are you sure this is the right way?

The SLAM will go much quicker if you are able to test your FC and add the required LC more often. When letting the FC fall so far below SLAM level you significantly reduce the rate of eradication of the organics.

Try a OCLT tonight. Test your FC after the sun goes down. If you add any LC, you need to test again after about 30 minutes. Then test in the morning before the sun hits the pool surface.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your pump can run 24 hours a day without issue. As it is a vs pump, run it at 1000 rpm or so to reduce electricity use.

You need to run your pump at least at a rate sufficient to close the flow switch on your SWCG.

Then, if necessary, to say run a suction side cleaner or more completely skim debris from the surface, you may need to raise your rpm for that.

So, when this is over, start at 1200 rpm and see if that allows your SWCG to run. If it does, try it. If not, raise it 100 rpm and try that. Repeat until you have a rpm that allows your SWCG to run.

It is not likely you need to run the pump at that high a rate. I run mine at 1500 rpm. It uses ~200 watts/hr at that rate. I suspect yours is using upwards of 1000 watts/hr at the 3000 rpm.

Are you removing the cover for several hours each day during the daylight hours? That is necessary to burn off the CC build up in the water.

I doubt your pump consumes 1100 watts/hr at 1300 rpm. Not sure if your system can tell what you are consuming electricity wise.

Test again in 2 hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.