New Owner - High Combined Chlorine and TA - Need Help Please

One scoop is sufficient at normal FC levels. When you SLAM, you may need to add a bit more as your FC levels will be quite high.

You SLAM during all waking hours. Once you start, you test your FC and dose back to shock level FC as often as possible, preferably no less than 4 times per day.

Have you read the article?

No Clorox. It contains Cloromax - a polymer.

Only plain, no scent, non splashless, non fabric protection bleach. Most of it is now 6%. Liquid chlorine from Home Depot, Lowes, and Walmart is 10%.

Cloromax has polymers in it. There are members that have used it and posted pictures of very foamy pools. It is also just 6% sodium hypochlorite.

To our knowledge it does not damage anything. Continuous use may plug up cartridge filters and create scum lines.

The product you have may not have Cloromax. Check the label. It is possible you have a product designed for commercial purposes and not household laundry use.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For SLAMING, my FC shock level is 28. Once I add enough chlorine to get there, I check several times a day and add chlorine if needed to maintain 28 FC.
once level does not drop below 27 overnight then I’m done?
if yes, can kids swim w this level fc? Or do I wait for it to drop to 8?

With a CYA of 70, correct. At the start, the more often you can test and dose with LC back to SLAM level the quicker the process will go.

The kids can swim at that level FC. As long as you can see the bottom of the deep end of the pool.

After a couple days do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Keep us updated on how it goes.

If you want to save on your reagents when testing FC, you could always use a 5mL sample. One scoop of the powder and then each drop is 1ppm. I use a 10mL syringe off of Amazon to squirt in the 5mL. Run your OCLT with the 10mL sample. Testing during the day with 5mL.

Hi, here's the update.
Using pool math I poured in 375oz of 8.25% bleach.
FC made it up to 14 but not higher
I tested the water early this morning after the pump ran all night
My FC was down to 3
My CC was down to 0-0.5!! (remember this was the problem I was having, it previously was at 2.5)
My ph is 7.2
Alkalinity still high at 170
CYA still at 70-80

I will test again this evening. Any recommended next steps? The FC still seems low, no?

How long after adding the bleach did you test the FC? BTW, Home Depot has pretty fresh 10% liquid chlorine in my neck of the woods, I'd imagine it to be the same out on the westside.

Immediately bring the FC back up to SLAM level. The keys to SLAM is to get FC to shock level and MAINTAINING the FC at shock level. It sounds like the FC is doing it's job and killing the algae in your pool. Keep your FC up, pump running 24/7 and keep brushing.

I tested appx 30 min after adding Pool math recommended 375oz. I only hit 14 FC. Do I add more and as much as needed to hit 28 (my shock level)?
also, you mention algae. Is algae always visible because if yes, than I don’t see any. I did notice tiny soda-like bubbles on pool liner this morning when I was in the water

Please read the SLAM Process article. You are not following it.

Bring your FC to 28 ppm using liquid chlorine. Test FC in 2 hours, add liquid chlorine to bring FC to 28 ppm. Keep repeating that. After a couple days you can do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Use PoolMath to determine how much liquid chlorine you need to add each time you test FC.

Sorry, that was precisely my question. Per pool math, I added 375oz of bleach and only got FC to 14. So my question is... do I add more bleach until I get to 28 even though that’s more than pool math calculated??

You add what PoolMath says to get to 28 ppm. You test your FC in 2 hours, add enough LC to get to 28 ppm, repeat, repeat............

Pump is running 24 hours a day during a SLAM

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.