Gold Supporter
Jun 25, 2012
Conroe, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I guess its time to join the parade of new builds as I am very close to selecting a PB.

After a lengthy process of meeting PB's and going through the initial design process/quote with 5 or 6, I narrowed down to three that I have asked for final quotes. I received the first of these today. Please offer comments.

Pool
36’ x 20' free form pool with 11' round spa.
Total perimeter of 142' and Surface Area 814 SqFt.
Depth 3.5' to 6'
Steel reinforcing through-out pool structure. Beam- (5) #4 Cont. Beam, Floor/Walls: #3 @ 8" o.c.b.w. grade 60
Gunite of pool structure with continuous bond beam around skimmer; gunite to meet or exceed APSP, city or county requirements.
Finish of pool interior with hand-troweled, water-proof – Wet Edge Pebble Plaster (Level One)
6” band of water-line tile: Type: Travertine Color: Standard
Equipment as follows:
Pump Intelliflo 3HP, 230V, VSF Variable Speed/ Flow Pump
Pump Whisperflo 3HP, 115/208-230V UR
Clean & Clear+ Filter Cartridge 520
Rainbow In-line Chlorinator #320
Silencer Blower 1HP 240V
Boost-Rite Ee 1.1 HP 115/230v
Cleaner Booster Motor
Master temp Heater 400K BTU NG Low Nox
EasyTouch8 Control System Pool/Spa
EasyTouch Wireless Controller – 8 Circuit System
(1) Tan Super Pro Autofill
(3) Pool - LED Color Intellibrite 5G Light
(1) Spa - LED Color Intellibrite 5G Light
(2) Shelf Colorvision Bubbler gunite niche kit and 100 Globrite Color LED Lights
Racer IG Pressure Side Pool Cleaner
18” White Poly Bristle Curved Aluminum Wall Brush Aluminum Leaf Skimmer
#806 - 8©-15.5© Outer Lock Telepole
#136 ABS EZ Read Combo Sink/Float Thermometer
#203 SuperFlex Vacuum head
1.5 x 30 VAC Hose Deluxe
4 Way “All-in-one” Test Kit
Pool equipment to be installed with 97 feet of right skimmer
Skimmer and leaf basket as follows: (2) Skimmers
Jandy valves and non-corrosive plumbing throughout
Main drain with 9 “ diameter gate –VG Baker Rated
Gunite concrete pads with steel reinforcement for pool equipment

Pavilion
16' x 30' pavilion with composite roof
8"x8" cedar clad posts
7' wide x 9' tall Feature wall wired for TV
Outdoor Kitchen, w. Grill, sink, pizza oven, storage.

Decking and Drainage
330 SqFt of Travertine tumbled versaille pattern pavers - overlay
1,420 SqFt of Travertine tumbled versaille pattern pavers - new
212 LnFt of 4" drain line
5 brass drains covers.

I know I want to get a robot cleaner so ditching the pressure side and booster is known.

I will attempt to upload some renders of PB1 design.

- - - Updated - - -

gdfein-PB1-Aerial-view.jpg
gdfein-PB1-Front-side-view.jpg
gdfein-PB1-Pavilion-view1.jpg

Seems odd that you need the Intelliflo AND another 3HP Whisperflo ... did not look like you had enough water features for all that pump capacity.
Ditch the Rainbow trichlor tablet feeder
Ditch the booster pressure cleaner (VERY inefficient) and get a robot (ah just saw you mentioned that).
I would add the SWG to your Easytouch ... but you will likely get a lot of unwarranted push-back from your builder. The travertine is not as susceptible to salt issues as some of the softer stones (like flagstone down there).

Reactions: setsailsoon
I like the design and I’d question the pump size as well like Jason said.

Also I’m just south of you in Spring. I’d highly recommend the salt water chlorine generator. I built last summer and ended up installing one this spring. With the heat and length of swim season it’s been a great investment.

Here are some picks of the second PB, and the design we ultimately went with.

Fein D4.1_010_snip TFP.jpg
Fein D4.1_001_snip TFP.jpg

The primary differences in the proposals were PB1 was Wet Edge plaster, and PB2 was Pebble Tec. PB2 also recommended DE filtration over cartridge, but was fine doing either. His comment was that for our pool at ~24k gallons, he thought DE would be a better fit. So my question to you viewers is what are the pros / cons of DE versus cartridge filtration. Yes I've searched and read already so I am partially educated but always welcome opinions.

We signed contract with PB#2 last week and the HOA/town approvals have begun. PB2 was a little more $$, but their structure sub has done a couple examples of the pavilion we envision for friends and they just gave us an overall more comfortable feel that when (not if) we encounter issues in the project, they will make good to have a happy customer.

Pool
30.5' x 29' wide free form pool with 11' round spa.
Total perimeter of 120' and Surface Area 735 SqFt.
Depth 3.5' to 6'
Gallons ~ 25k
Steel reinforcing through-out pool structure. Beam- (5) #4 Cont. Beam, Floor/Walls: #3 @ 8" o.c.b.w. grade 60
Gunite of pool structure with continuous bond beam around skimmer; gunite to meet or exceed APSP, city or county requirements.
Finish of pool interior with hand-troweled, water-proof – Pebble Tech Plaster (Level One)
6” band of water-line tile: Type: Travertine Color: Standard
Equipment as follows:
Pump Intelliflo 3HP, 230V, VSF Variable Speed/ Flow Pump
Pump Whisperflo 3HP, 115/208-230V UR
DE Filter 60 SqFt Plus
Rainbow In-line Chlorinator #320
Blower (1) 1.5HP Polaris Blowers
Boost-Rite Ee 1.1 HP 115/230v
Cleaner Booster Motor
Dedicate Spa Booster (14 Jets)
Master temp Heater 400K BTU NG Low Nox
EasyTouch8 Control System Pool/Spa
EasyTouch Wireless Controller – 8 Circuit System (incl. IOS controller)
(2) Pebbletop Chanel Drains
(1) Tan Super Pro Autofill
(3) Pool - LED Color Intellibrite 5G Light
(1) Spa - LED Color Intellibrite 5G Light
(1) Shelf Colorvision Bubbler gunite niche kit and 100 Globrite Color LED Lights
Polaris 280 IG Pressure Side Pool Cleaner
18” White Poly Bristle Curved Aluminum Wall Brush Aluminum Leaf Skimmer
#806 - 8©-15.5© Outer Lock Telepole
#136 ABS EZ Read Combo Sink/Float Thermometer
#203 SuperFlex Vacuum head
1.5 x 30 VAC Hose Deluxe
4 Way “All-in-one” Test Kit
Pool equipment to be installed with 97 feet of right skimmer
Skimmer and leaf basket as follows: (2) Skimmers
Jandy valves and non-corrosive plumbing throughout
Main drain with 9 “ diameter gate –VG Baker Rated
Gunite concrete pads with steel reinforcement for pool equipment

Pavilion
16' x 28' pavilion with composite roof
8"x8" cedar clad posts
7' wide x 9' tall Feature wall wired for TV
Outdoor Kitchen, w. Grill, sink, fridge, pizza oven, storage.

Decking and Drainage
350 SqFt of Travertine tumbled versaille pattern pavers - overlay
1,365 SqFt of Travertine tumbled versaille pattern pavers - new

Welcome comments. (edited post to have specifics comparable to PB1)

I have a DE filter at my current house and they had the same 60 square foot unit at my previous house. If I ever need to replace it, I'm going with a very large cartridge filter. I just am tired of dealing with the DE and mess.

Another advantage of a cartridge filter is that you do not backwash therefore you are not having to continuously add salt and cya to keep the water in balance for an swg pool. Although I'm the opposite Spectrum by not backwashing you do not replace with lower CH water so your CH can climb faster.

Reactions: setsailsoon
I'll just add that pool size doesn't inherently make one type of filter a better match than another as your PB suggested. At least not in any pool up to 40K gallons. Larger ones may have some other considerations. I have cartridge for our 27K pool and would choose the same again. Big filter size is the key though no matter which type. On all equipment, make sure to get all model numbers specified as the first one did.

I think the design of PB2 is great on many levels. Beautiful.

bf7b6de339e136f68641501e5ee23eaa.png

This a picture from the existing patio and FP out into the yard. Shows the wooded preserve we partially back up against.

Please let me know if this YT video works. Short 20 second clip of backyard space looking towards house.

[video=youtube_share;l91W2WVLjWs]https://youtu.be/l91W2WVLjWs[/video]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Works now.

I notice in your final plan you have kept the pressure side cleaner and do not have a SWCG. It was suggested earlier in the thread to reconsider that. Just wanted to be sure you know the issues with those decisions.

Take care.

Thanks Kim!

Planning to have the pressure side cleaner plumbed into the build and in the big picture of things the booster and Polaris280 is not a major cost, even though I plan to give one of the robots a try.

I know this is heresy on TFP, but a SWCG is just not for us as my family and I always feel we can taste the salt and feel it on our skin when we are in SW pools.

I’m currently researching liquid CL options and how they might work. I don’t love the idea of storing and buying 12gal of Clorox each week, so intrigued by pumps but hard to find many examples.

Thanks Kim!

Planning to have the pressure side cleaner plumbed into the build and in the big picture of things the booster and Polaris280 is not a major cost, even though I plan to give one of the robots a try.

I know this is heresy on TFP, but a SWCG is just not for us as my family and I always feel we can taste the salt and feel it on our skin when we are in SW pools.

I’m currently researching liquid CL options and how they might work. I don’t love the idea of storing and buying 12gal of Clorox each week, so intrigued by pumps but hard to find many examples.

Napco on the north side of town sells very fresh industrial bleach at a great price. My pool uses about 12 gal a week during the summer - (85k gallon). If you bought a 30 gal Stenner pump combo and plumbed it in, you would probably only need to do a bleach run every 2 months or so.

Here is another TFP’r that is plumbing in his Stenner.

Stenner - someone better at figuring this out
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=4767&share_tid=171657&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Etroublefreepool%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D171657&share_type=t

On filter question, I’d look at the pentair quad de 100 (hybrid cartridge / de filter). Ease of a cartridge filter on cleaning with the finer filtration of a de filter.

HOA approvals came back this week. Next step is pre-dig layout meeting with PB and construction super.

We also have an appointment with PB next weekend for materials selection. This will be the hardest part for us since we don’t have a clear vision of what we want. Hoping PB can give us good design ideas.

I'd ditch that fireplace on the patio. You'll free up more undercover space and not block the view of what you're about to spend 80-100 grand on. Design #2 is very pretty. It would be a shame to play peek-a-boo around that fire place to see that cool multi-curved wall on that back side.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.