16X48 Ultra Frame Intex Pool Filter Upgrade

Here's what I could find :

Frog a bog in July 2012 states
"The intex skimmer works great. It needs to be under water , with the blue ring floating. pushed As far to.the side wall as possible, and tilted so the ring is lower on the inbound side. "

Here is someone else's pics that show the white cup extra deep in the water and level with the water. When that skimmer starts kicking out away from the pool wall, it doesn't work well.( It may be trial & error, because mine used to work for a while, then start to suck air again)
image_zpsffajuerp.jpeg

I do not have the intex valves on my pool anymore. Another poster that sent you a pic with the new style intex valve with the air vent/ relief on it, which may also introduce air into the system. That may be something to look at.
I also read here (somewhere)that some remove the skimmer while swimming because splashing and waves cause that skimmer to suck air into the system.
I wouldn't, but I might disconnect the hose from the inlet ( inside the pool) to let it filter without skimming while swimming.
I still couldn't find the pic of someone who zip tied the skimmer tighter to the rail to keep it from angling up & away from the pool wall, which could work.In the pic above, the zip tie went from the bar on the left, that goes down in the water, to the screw section on the right, on the outside of the pool. What it did is tighten the skimmer in a better position, so wave action wouldn't let the whole contraption bob up & down.

mulia, Thanks again for replying. I took the skimmer out of the pool. I tried adjusting it different ways and it would work for a little while but then stop. I think I will eventually put in a thru-the-wall skimmer. I would like to hard plump the lines to see if I can get a better result. I just need to figure out all of the non-standard intex connections. I see the photo of your set up on anther thread and it looks great, its just what I want to do. I'm also in the process of building a deck. I will post photos when I am finished. Thank you for all of your help!

You are very welcome.I plumbed the pvc all by myself. It was easy & fun. Nowadays, there seem to be more 40mm to 1.5" adaptors than when I hard plumbed my intex pool, so you really shouldn't have to make any adaptors from scratch.I didn't. But I did take out the intex pool walll fittings and replace them with standard hayward fitting ( the inlet & outlet fittings). That allowed me to plumb everything with out intex hacks on adaptors.

You are very welcome.I plumbed the pvc all by myself. It was easy & fun. Nowadays, there seem to be more 40mm to 1.5" adaptors than when I hard plumbed my intex pool, so you really shouldn't have to make any adaptors from scratch.I didn't. But I did take out the intex pool walll fittings and replace them with standard hayward fitting ( the inlet & outlet fittings). That allowed me to plumb everything with out intex hacks on adaptors.

This is how I'm thinking of plumbing the skimmer when I install it. Does anyone see any problems with this? I will have the added ball valve to control the skimmer and use the stock Tee/valve to control the stock suction ports.

I don't want to hard plumb just yet until I know exactly how I want to do things. Probably the beginning of next year as we don't plan on taking it down over the winter.

skimmer.jpg

here's a picture of my pool.The pool is about 7 years old, I think. I kept the one inlet, cut a new hole for the skimmer, kept the original outlet, and cut a second outlet.The 2 outlets are great, because I can attach a fountain or my slime bag on it and either shut off the second outlet as needed or keep it open.

If you keep both of your inlets, make sure each has it's own shutoff valve, so you can shutoff if desired for maximum skimmer flow.
When my second inlet is open, my skimmer doesn't catch as much stuff. I usually leave my second inlet closed.
I open it for vacuuming. I close the skimmer valve while vacuuming to get maximum flow to the vac.
I would suggest, in your pic above, to replace the stock valve with pvc valves.one for each inlet, one for the skimmer, one for the outlet. you'll have much better control of everything.
also for shutting them off to work on your pump without water shooting out of the hoses.

image_zpsipk7r3vc.jpeg

Unless I replace the inlets, I don't see how I can control both with separate valves. I keep reading about people replacing the inlets and returns with Hayward brand, but I don't see HOW they did it. Especially the inlets that are just a piece of rubber? coming thru the liner.

I'm a newb and just thinking out loud here..... It seems to me if one were to add a second return, it would be more beneficial to place it below the original. That way it would stir up the water better at depth. Thoughts?

my old intex inlet & outlet ports were threaded and 2 piece with a gasket. the hayward ones are also. I took out the intex ones and installed the hayward ones. If your pool has small holes with a port type thing made out of the vinyl,you can cut out those and cut the holes to the size of the hayward inlets/ outlets with a box cutter/ exacto knife right at that point.

Will it hurt anything to install the skimmer as I have it drawn for now? My plan was to close the dual inlet valve some to get a better balance of suction to the skimmer. I don't want to drain that much water out at this time. Would rather wait until after this coming winter when I will drain it down below all the plumbing.

I found the thread here, but don't know how to link it.
Search for "Cutting Larger Intake & Return holes in your Intex".
this person replaced the little vinyl openings on the intex pool with bigger intex brand fitting, but they are that weird 40 mm size, to fit the intex hose. I used hayward standard inlet/ outlet fittings, so I could use 1.5" or 1.25 standard size pvc fittings.here's a pic I found, but also, search for that thread I mentioned above.
image_zpsbuo3ryoj.jpeg

https://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-241.aspx?searchEngineName=hayward-sp1023-1023g-1024-1025-1039-return-fitting-parts&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ShoppingFeed&utm_term=ProductListingAds&utm_content=AllProducts&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=COOd9Pai4s0CFRRZhgodZcMF2A
this link shows an example of the hayward fitting I used... " complete fitting" SP1023

Mulia, Thank you for all the information and links. The skimmer arrived yesterday and I held it up in various places. At the moment I plan on using all stock connections where I can and adding the skimmer with a Tee & ball valve as shown in my above sketch. I'm thinking I will mount the skimmer centered between both inlets so it looks pleasing from the inside of the pool. Which brings up a question. Does it really matter where the skimmer is placed in relation to the return & other inlets? I have a hi salt condition, (even though we added less than the manual told us to), which I need to address this weekend and plan on draining the pool to a level I can install the skimmer. I will address the intake(s) issue either this fall or next spring before opening up the pool as I plan to drain it down to below all plumbing fixtures for the winter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You might search for " inlet outlet placement" i read somewhere here that you just dont want to have your inlets across the pool from your outlet(. on a round pool) because half the pool wouldn't get circulation. Your 2 original inlets are below the surface of the water, so they will not effect the skimmer in that way.All three inlets open at the same time will not leave much flow to your skimmer, however. But you did say you' close your double inlet to get better skimmer action. You've got it! Looks fine!

You might search for " inlet outlet placement" i read somewhere here that you just dont want to have your inlets across the pool from your outlet(. on a round pool) because half the pool wouldn't get circulation. Your 2 original inlets are below the surface of the water, so they will not effect the skimmer in that way.All three inlets open at the same time will not leave much flow to your skimmer.
I will have the original Tee /valve that came with the two inlets. I plan on closing those down by about 50% or so.

My property is loaded with trees (Uggh!) Just do it, then play around with the valves to see what works best for your situation! good luck!
Make sure you have a shutoff for your outlet, or a way to plug it, to service your filter and pump

Does anyone have any idea how to clear up my pool cloudiness? It's still very cloudy from the initial back washing of the zeo sand. I tried vacuuming what settles to the bottom and have run the pump longer than normal but its not improving.

google " slime bag"
I am very pleased with mine
It filters down to 1 micron
there are old threads here on the site you can search for also
It is just a big white filter bag ( like a vacuum cleaner bag) that you fasten either to the hose bringing water back to the pool ( and plop that hose over the pool wall) or coneect the bag to your outlet fitting that brings water back into the pool
heres a thread about slime bags
Slime Bag, 1 micron filter. It does work

heres what I wrote to georgia dawg

Re: Still have cloudy water
image_zpsx20bek0c.jpeg

Here is a slime bag. It is attached to the return fitting, inside the pool.It filters the water a second time , after it comes out of the pools filter & before the water goes back into the pool. This is how I hook mine up.

You have a proseries pool. I don't know what your return looks like, how you could hook the bag to it, etc. so here is another way some hook up a slime bag.

Disconnect your return hose from the return fitting on the outside of your pool, attach the slime bag with a clamp, and hang it & the hose back over the wall of the pool . You would have to fasten it with a bungee cord or something to keep the hose from flopping back out.It is only used on occassion.
image_zpsetysyqp8.jpeg

Once the water is clear, I take mine out ( carefully, so the stuff inside the bag doesn't fall back into the pool) turn it upside down on a piece of pvc I have standing up in an umbrella stand, and hose it clean with the garden hose.

The bag must be cleaned after use, or the dirt inside it hardens and makes it less effective next time you use it.
I have had my bag for 4 years and I love it.
The Slime bag is expensive, around $45, that is why I advised you to look at other 1 micron filtering bags that were tried out by others on this forum.
A polishing bag ( slime bag being a particular brand) is a 1 micron filtering bag that filters much smaller particles that your filter can't catch.

hope this helps.

georgiadawg's Avatar Join Date
Jul 2014
HALLELUJAH!!!!!! The slime bag did the trick!!!! I cannot believe what a difference just 12 hours made!!!!! I've already had to clean it twice and my pool is crystal clear for the first time all summer!! Thank you!
Lisa
Northeast Georgia Pro Series above ground circular metal frame set pool 22' x 52". 11,400 gal capacity. w/ Skimmer plus 2000 pump/filter. Cartridge filter (Type C)
Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model CS8110

google " slime bag"
I am very pleased with mine
It filters down to 1 micron
there are old threads here on the site you can search for also
It is just a big white filter bag ( like a vacuum cleaner bag) that you fasten either to the hose bringing water back to the pool ( and plop that hose over the pool wall) or coneect the bag to your outlet fitting that brings water back into the pool
heres a thread about slime bags
Slime Bag, 1 micron filter. It does work

heres what I wrote to georgia dawg

image_zpsx20bek0c.jpeg

Here is a slime bag. It is attached to the return fitting, inside the pool.It filters the water a second time , after it comes out of the pools filter & before the water goes back into the pool. This is how I hook mine up.

You have a proseries pool. I don't know what your return looks like, how you could hook the bag to it, etc. so here is another way some hook up a slime bag.

Disconnect your return hose from the return fitting on the outside of your pool, attach the slime bag with a clamp, and hang it & the hose back over the wall of the pool . You would have to fasten it with a bungee cord or something to keep the hose from flopping back out.It is only used on occassion.
image_zpsetysyqp8.jpeg

Once the water is clear, I take mine out ( carefully, so the stuff inside the bag doesn't fall back into the pool) turn it upside down on a piece of pvc I have standing up in an umbrella stand, and hose it clean with the garden hose.

The bag must be cleaned after use, or the dirt inside it hardens and makes it less effective next time you use it.
I have had my bag for 4 years and I love it.
The Slime bag is expensive, around $45, that is why I advised you to look at other 1 micron filtering bags that were tried out by others on this forum.
A polishing bag ( slime bag being a particular brand) is a 1 micron filtering bag that filters much smaller particles that your filter can't catch.

hope this helps.

georgiadawg's Avatar Join Date
Jul 2014
HALLELUJAH!!!!!! The slime bag did the trick!!!! I cannot believe what a difference just 12 hours made!!!!! I've already had to clean it twice and my pool is crystal clear for the first time all summer!! Thank you!
Lisa
Northeast Georgia Pro Series above ground circular metal frame set pool 22' x 52". 11,400 gal capacity. w/ Skimmer plus 2000 pump/filter. Cartridge filter (Type C)
Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model CS8110

Thank you again mulia, I really appreciate all of your help!

I use zeobryte (same as zeosand) in my filter. The only reason I used that was because I couldn't find any sand to buy!! It works perfectly, but I do think sand is sufficient. I initially had the same problem with the zeodust. I think it needed a much longer backwash than I gave it (i backwashed for about a minute). i eventually got rid of it by tying 2 legs of pantyhose (one inside the other) on to the pool return line. Worked quite well - at least that's what I'm assuming cleared it up.. That being said, if you can get your hands on a slime bag it would more than likely work better.

GC

I use zeobryte (same as zeosand) in my filter. The only reason I used that was because I couldn't find any sand to buy!! It works perfectly, but I do think sand is sufficient. I initially had the same problem with the zeodust. I think it needed a much longer backwash than I gave it (i backwashed for about a minute). i eventually got rid of it by tying 2 legs of pantyhose (one inside the other) on to the pool return line. Worked quite well - at least that's what I'm assuming cleared it up.. That being said, if you can get your hands on a slime bag it would more than likely work better.

GC

Thank you! I will try the pantyhose until I can get the slime bag.

Pool Deck in progress....20160717_154657.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20160717_154708.jpg

Its about 5" x 10' and it only cost around $30.00!! When I bought my house there was a new wheelchair ramp that had recently been installed. I took it apart and was able to use all of the pressure treated lumber for the deck. I've still got to install the railing and do landscaping around the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.