Taking over pool care

Actual good advice from the pool store? :eek:

Stunning - but not unusual in Florida. Florida, Arizona, S Texas and S California are the only places that Pool Stores can function as a business without pushing high priced chemicals. In those areas pools are kept open year around and thus it is not so much a seasonal business as it is in the rest of the country.

I did not know that CYA could degrade with High Water Temp and High FC. What valuable information! I always thought you had to drain water. Makes sense now that my pool finally needed a shot of CYA this year for the first time in a couple of years.

Deep Cleaned the sand filter today, stuff that looked like river mud came out. I discovered that it has been filled with ZeoSand instead of regular silica sand. It appears to be doing the job. Added another bag to bring the media level up, rinsed with the hose. Then I backwashed and holy moly that was some nasty looking stuff that came out.

then rinse, then another short backwash, rinse and back to filtering. Pool is looking good

FC 16
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 120
CH 240
did not test CYA today

Has anyone tried adding a little DE to zeosand? The water is clear, but I’d like to have one of those,”Did the pool empty overnight?” level of clarity.

Multiple inches of rain today. Water was gushing out of the skimmer so I girded my loins and sallied forth into the teeth of the storm and backwashed about 5 inches of water out. Then I dumped in a generous measure of chlorine, I didn’t measure a precise amount but my thinking was that with all the rain and runoff from the trees I was better safe than sorry.

when I got back home I went and tested the water. Another inch of rain had fallen by test time

FC 15.5
CC .5
pH 7.8!
TA 120
CH 230
CYA 120

I had expected the FC to be higher. I felt like I dumped in a lot of chlorine, so either I’m getting lots of organic material from the trees and rain, or I didn’t dump the half gallon I thought I did.

Added 31oz Muratic acid to knock the pH down. It rose from 7.5 to 7.8 in less than 24hr. I assume that was from aeration by rain. It surprised me but I need to lower my TA a bit anyway so not a big deal.

added chlorine to bring FC to 17ppm. Keeping it high because several more inches of rain are forecast.

Anything else I should be doing? Water is clear, I just need to scoop debris off the bottom and brush and vacuum. That’s on tomorrow’s agenda.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Deep Cleaned the sand filter today, stuff that looked like river mud came out. I discovered that it has been filled with ZeoSand instead of regular silica sand. It appears to be doing the job. Added another bag to bring the media level up, rinsed with the hose. Then I backwashed and holy moly that was some nasty looking stuff that came out.

then rinse, then another short backwash, rinse and back to filtering. Pool is looking good

FC 16
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 120
CH 240
did not test CYA today

Has anyone tried adding a little DE to zeosand? The water is clear, but I’d like to have one of those,”Did the pool empty overnight?” level of clarity.

You might want to note the ZeoSand in your signature. That detail may make a difference at some point in your care.

I have no experience with it, read more bad than good about it. Perhaps that's why your folks had previous cloudy problems. I recall reading that it works better with Calcium levels over 200-250?, if true, you might want to watch your level with all the rain you have had recently.

They "claim" DE performance levels, so one would assume the performance boost from adding DE to it would not be the same as adding to sand.

Wulfdan ... friend type of advice. You know that the correct sand is a better option than Zeosand. Get some new sand and a shop vac and in a short time you won't have to worry or think about sand as an issue. It will be a great time to inspect your laterals also.

Any downside to keeping FC around 20?
CYA 100

obviously I’ll lose a bit more chlorine daily, but I have stains, and little kids that are probably peeing in the pool... I also have some staining of the liner I’d like to clear up

You are just wasting CL and money to the sun UV rays. You don't get any better disinfecting at FC 20 then at your target FC of 11-13. If you do have stuff for the CL in your pool to attack then the FC will quickly drop and you will add CL to bring it back to your target.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.