Help with Leaking stair gasket.

Thurge

Jun 30, 2013
Hi Guys,

So for the past 2-3 years I've been losing a LOT of water. I paid for a leak test and they found 2 sources of a leak.
The first leak is at the inlet pipe for my pump. I need to replace the pipe that threads into the front of my pump.
The second leak is at the gasket that goes around where my liner meets my stairs. Also the water level is just slightly below the last step so it's ankle deep in the shallow end.

My questions are
1. If I change the inlet should I also change the outlet? (I just changed the outlet about 2 years ago and it doesn't appear to be leaking.)
2. The pump's inlet pipe is very short and connects immediately to a Jandy Valve. Any tips on how to get it out without damaging the Jandy Valve?
3. There is a plastic trim piece that covers where I assume the screws that hold the liner in place around the stairs should be. Do they pop out, do I need to slide them out, or is it possibly a pressure based screwless setup? (I've never taken mine apart but the youtube videos seem to imply they are all screw based on vinyl liners.)
4. How hard is this second repair? Where can I get the gasket material that fits between the liner and the screws?
5. I think ants may have built a colony behind my liner and they might be the cause of this leak. If this is the case does anybody have tips on what I can do about this?

I know the first thing I'll be asked is to post photos so I'll take some and update my post as soon as possible.

Thanks a bunch folks!

Thurge.
poolsteps.jpg
pumppipe.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.