Npt equinox waterline tile in icy teal

Lcorr

May 3, 2018
Boynton beach, fl
Hey all! We finally break ground on our pool Friday! The only thing I haven't totally nailed down is the waterline tile/interior finish combo.... I'm leaning toward npt equinox in icy teal for the waterline. I love the sample, but Im slightly concerned it may be too green...Unfortunately my builder has not installed it in that color for me to see in person, and I cant find any actual photos online (just the simulated ones on npt website that look nothing like it in real life)...

does anyone on here have npt equinox icy teal tile in their pool so I could see a photo?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Efasano10
I am considering the same tile and have not been able to find any pictures of this tile installed online either. I will be using it as an accent tile (raised beam) and on the steps. I am still trying to decide on grout colors that will match both my water line (6x6 tile) and the glass tile. below is a picture of the tile grouted with a light beige. The tile does take on a darker color once it is grouted vs. the sample. I am next going to try a darker grout (one that will match the 6x6 tile), I am hoping that by going to a darker beige grout, that the grout lines will be more "muted" or less noticeable. My recommendation would be to grout your samples to give you a better feel for the color then place the tile outside (where it can be viewed easily from inside your house), that way you can get a better idea of how the tile will look with natural light. Personnally, I think the tile looks more blue than green, but the green undertones are there.
View attachment 83030

Also the tile on the top and bottom are both NPT Equinox Icy Teal, just the top is grouted and the bottom is not.

Thanks! I have been trying to post pictures, but for some reason I cant get it to work... I have taken several pics at different times of the day in the location of the pool to make sure I like it. Most of the time I see turquoise, but in shady times is when i see green... our decking will be very light (artistic pavers in ivory shellock) so we would be doing a light grout for sure

Smitty, that glass tile is gorgeous!!! I love it! And you have great taste in the 6x6 waterline tile. (very similar to mine, LOL!!!!!). I love my neutral waterline tile. It doesn't take away from my glass tile, and the neutral pattern/color is so easy to keep clean. I have one little place where I got a bit of build-up before I adjusted my chemical levels. Others couldn't even see it until I pointed it out to them. It came off with some elbow grease.

Lcorr, a turquoise or aqua tile will have some green. From the picture above, it looks like some tiles are more green than others. I love it, but it comes down to personal taste. If you are worried about too much green, you might want something with more blue. My glass tile is called Peacock which means it's in the same family of the turquoises, aquas, etc. My glass definitely leans more to the blue side of that color family. You might want to check out my build - see link in my signature.

To Lcorr and Smitty, what type and color of pool finish are you going with? I have Pebble Tec Sheen Blue granite. I think it would go perfectly with the above glass tile, unless you're wanting a contrast. For my Blue granite, I think I might have been happier with Icey Teal, because I like more muted looks. My glass tile and pool finish is a better example of a contrasted look.

Just some thoughts - maybe 2 cents worth!!!

Good luck to you both! And create your signatures, so we can help you better!

Suz

Thank you Suz. I like your tile as well, I prefer the more neutral waterline as I think it doesn't detract from the pool. I am going with Wet Edge's Pearl Matrix in Chilean Beach Caribbean.
Wet Edge | Products | Chilean Beach Caribbean

It has larger tan, beige, and black pebbles and is set in a blueish/gray mortar. I would also recommend getting a bunch of finish samples to compare as it is hard to tell what the product will look like based on the pictures available online and take those samples outside to see them in natural sunlight. I think this finish will have a similar teal (blue/green) color which the glass tile will compliment. At least that is what i am hoping for.

Your pool is gorgeous!

The problem is the exact color I want is like a cerulean blue- bright blue with a slight turqoise tint. It is available in the much high upgraded tiles, but they're too rich for my husband blood... the equinox tile is also available in a darker blue, which I had originally considered. It is gorgeous and very similar to your peacock tile, but slightly darker. I loved the sample but when I saw it in person I felt it was too much of a contrast from the water. My pool is small (28×15) freeform, but will have tiles on the edge of steps, edge of bench, and the edge of the sunshelf. So, I was concerned the dark tile was going to break up the small pool too much... because of how curvy my pool is, I was advised against doing the larger tile for my waterline. Though I'm not doing neutral, per say, I'm looking to have my waterline tile and water color kind of blend together, so you really are just getting the iridescence and shine from the tile (it reminds me of a mermaid!) as for the finish I think I would do marquis oyster if I do use the icy teal.... if I go with the darker blur equinox tile (my back up) I would do miami blue

What am I doing wrong that I cant post pics? I hit choose file, click on the photo (jpeg) and then nothing happens....?

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm just realized your tiled is the "upgrade" tile that I love but in a slightly diff shade! No wonder I loved it...This equinox was the closest I could find to the lightstreams/lightwaves tiles that i love so much

- - - Updated - - -

20180606_215441.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20180606_142416.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20180607_102734.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

1525143335748_4_1525143367851.jpg

This is one of my original renderings. We have since expanded the decking out into the back corner of my (pie shaped) yard, but want to keep some grass toward the front for my dog and young daughter... theres umbrella sleeves on the sunshelf and the top stair and we will have a salt system. It is all shallow (3ft 3 inch to 4ft). I know people on here dont seem to like that, but I am very petite (4'10), and since the pool overall is small we wanted to be able to use all of it.

I'm terrible at visualizing the real life outcome of color and design choices. I know what I like when I see something finished, but I have no idea from using samples. Now that I've lived with my glass tile for 3 years, I'm glad I didn't get a darker tile. I believe most look darker once installed unless they have constant direct sunlight.

Tile: The glass tile will be used for accents but not waterline tile, right? I would have a hard time recommending Light Streams glass tile. I was thrilled in the beginning, but after seeing all the less expensive tiles available locally, the overall look is just as stunning. Piece by piece there is a difference, but I don't believe it's worth the price. Also, Lightstreams was difficult to deal with last summer and the one before - can't speak about this summer. Look at the other local tile companies in your area.

I'm terrible at visualizing the real life outcome of color and design choices. I know what I like when I see something finished, but I have no idea from using samples. Now that I've lived with my glass tile for 3 years, I'm glad I didn't get a darker tile. I believe most look darker once installed unless they have constant direct sunlight. A lighter glass color would have looked better with my pool.

I like your idea of having the water color and waterline tile blend (now it sounds like the glass tile will be the waterline tile along with the other accents).

Water color: Soooooo very hard to decide, and then once I was in the pool, I wondered why I worried so much about it! Lol!!!! The reason for that? Because I realized how much the color changes throughout the day and depending on the sky, clouds, etc. It still amazes me. My best suggestions for selecting a color of finish are:

1. decide how much green, teal, or aqua you like. If you don't want any of those color tints, then watch the color of the pebbles on the sample. Any tans, beige's, browns, etc are going to give you a green hint - either all the time or at some times. And it all depends on the surroundings to your pool - plants, trees, decking, houses, sunlight, etc.

2. decide if you want a light, medium, or dark pool. There are pros and cons to all. Ask questions or do some research on TFP.

3. You still haven't decided???? Roll the dice and then get some sleep!!!! The colors are going to change all day anyway, so get close, and you'll be happy!

Coping: I really like your choice, and I've heard that stone is relatively cool compared to concrete products (poured, pavers).

Grass: Hahaha! I had to save a patch for my granddog Willy (see my avatar) when he comes to visit from Oregon. Oh, he brings my 34 yo son with him when he visits and his 2 yo adopted brother, Chance (another dog).

Depth: This is YOUR pool!!!! You're not the first to want/need a shallow pool, and you won't be the last!!! As long as you can do what you want in the pool (ie, tread water for exercise, dive for rings, etc), and hubby likes those depths, then it's perfect for you!!! That's all that matters! I swam in a pool one summer built for a family whose mom couldn't swim. So all the sides of the pool floor were like 3.5 or 4 feet deep with a small deep end of 6 feet so she could do 'bicycle legs' without bumping her feet. She was about 5'2", so little taller than you. It was a lovely pool. I enjoyed it a lot.

Now! Waiting for the Big Dig on Friday!!!!!! I can't wait! Pool fun, here we come!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Suz-
Yes, the glass tile will be both waterline and accents.

Overall I'd like my pool to be light to medium and bright, definitely not dark. I like aqua turqoise and teal, I dont like algae and green

Finish: The other interior color I'm contemplating is marquis marina... it's a little deeper teal and has some teal flecks in it as opposed opposed to only tans. I'm wondering if I should do that because of how shallow (and therefore light) my pool may be?? I could make myself crazy lol

Surroundings: My yard backs up to a nature preserve, so theres tons of tall palm trees and oak trees behind my house, plus we have mature starfruit and papaya treesin my yard-will all that greenery make the water look more green? Ugh

Exposure: My pool is in direct sun until about 3 or 4pm depending on the time of year. After that the the sun goes behind the trees in the preserve and it's almost entirely shaded. Because of the iridescence in the tile, the change from bright sun to complete shade makes the glass reflect very different throughout the day, much like you're talking about with the water color.

Lightstreams: As I was looking for tile I was like oh wow I love that-oh its light streams....oooohhh that's pretty, uh also lightstreams lol... I basically like every lightstreams tile I've seen... npt has their own version called lightwaves as well...also major upgrade... so, I was very happy to find this equinox one (in either color) because it was similar but literally 1/4 the price. I'm secretly kind of glad that you didnt like lightstreams- it makes me feel a little better that I'm not getting it lol! Though, like I said I absolutely love your tile and would take it in a heartbeat!

Coping: thanks! I originally wanted travertine, as I love the look of natural stone, but the pb sold me on the artistic pavers... I like that they look textured because of the shells, but they're pretty smooth (though not slippery) so I dont have to worry about moisture pooling and molding from the humidity in any nooks and crannies. And yes, like you said they dont get hot. I have had my sample out in direct sun since I got it a month ago and I step on it barefoot from time to time and its never once been hot... the pb also sold me on how durable it is compared to concrete or travertine... I think were going to do a herringbone pattern using 4x6 shellock rectangle pavers for the decking to complement the rectangles of the glass tiles in an otherwise curvy design. (Plus chevrons and the herringbone pattern is a motif that's repeated in my house so it makes sense)

Depth: Thank you for understanding... my husband is not tall, about 5'9, so hes perfectly fine with it. Honestly he has let me completely design and choose everything with the pool as long as I didnt completely blow the budget-- hes the best! Last summer I was In a friend of a friends pool that was 3.5 feet everywhere. It was the first time i was in an all shallow pool and I thought it was such a great idea because you can use the whole thing all the time! Also our current and previous homes were in gated communities with a community pool. Neither my husband nor i have gone past 4ft deep in either pool ever. Honestly it's been about 12 years since I went into a deep end. So for us I felt there was really no point. We will mostly use it for lounging, entertaining, and splashing!

Basically I'm up all night obsessing over something that, like you said, really wont matter! As long as my pool doesnt look like a swamp, and the water and tile color dont clash, I'll be thrilled.... but, those 2 scenarios are my biggest fears in this process.... so, I'll continue to obsess till its done��

I seriously cant wait till Friday. They're supposedly doing all the excavation in one day!!

Suz-

Basically I'm up all night obsessing over something that, like you said, really wont matter! As long as my pool doesnt look like a swamp, and the water and tile color dont clash, I'll be thrilled.... but, those 2 scenarios are my biggest fears in this process.... so, I'll continue to obsess till its done��

I seriously cant wait till Friday. They're supposedly doing all the excavation in one day!!

My new friend..... There's more excitement to come after the dig, LOTS and LOTS more excitement!!! Go ahead and get your sleep now!!! But I remember how I felt, so I understand.

You're doing great so far, so try not to worry. That's what TFP is here for. There really aren't any other forums this great to help us in life with the big things all the way down to choosing a pool color. Come to TFP for whatever you need. This is what we love to do, because we've been there. I like your way of thinking and you know what you want and why you want it. That puts you ahead of many, many people! For me, this was so nerve wracking because of the expense. This is almost as huge as building a home, and maybe more so, because it's a luxury item. Even though it's a luxury item, I wish we had built one when the boys were young. Pools are amazing for bringing families together. That's so important, and those of us on TFP are lucky we can have a pool. The second reason I lost sleep, especially over the 'little' things, was because so much of it you can't change like pool finish color and tile. You can't just repaint like you can a room in a house. But your tile is gorgeous, and you will love it! If you manage your own water (or hubby does) by following TFPC, you will never have a swamp. It's been 3 years, and I've never had any algae - not even after Hurricane Harvey! You will love the crystal clear water the most! And that water rocks every finish color!!!

My best advice is to hang on and enjoy the ride! This is a great and fun thing you are building, so do your best to enjoy the process. Keep your eye on the prize!

Suz

Lcorr,

My permit was just approved yesterday (it took all of 5 weeks). My pool builder said construction could take up to 3 months; however I pulled his prior permits in my County and the last 4 he did had final inspections within 2 months of being issued. So i think he is being conservative. Either way if it takes longer to do it right, then I am ok waiting. My PB has also been pushing us to select decking, finish, and tile during the permitting wait, which has turned out to be a good thing, since it has taken me some time to select everything. I am hoping we will break ground in the next two weeks.

Congrats on getting the permit approved! Our permitting process took 8 weeks. After 5 weeks we found out that my neighborhood is in it's own zone that has different easement laws than the rest of the city I live in, so we had to resubmit with the pool moved closer to my house. Another 3 weeks later we were finally approved! My pb had said it would take 6-8 weeks for permitting anyway so the oversight didnt set us back at least. We break ground Friday! We have a pretty straight forward pool, so the pb said it will be about 4-6 weeks to complete, mainly depending on weather. Of course if we get a hurricane, all bets are off. As for selections, my pb hasnt been pushing me to make decisions at all. But, they do know I'm not picking any special order items due to budget constraints. In fact, they said I have another 2 weeks at least before I have to finalize anything.
I had been waiting on definitively picking the icy teal tile because they're actually doing their first pool with it as we speak. I had planned to go see it prior to making my decision. But now the person is making changes to the pool mid build, so they're set back considerably and it will no longer be done in time for me to see without setting myself back...
Sounds like your PB is a fan of under promise, over deliver--not a band thing!

So I grouted the bottom half of my tile sample with a beige grout that is more similar to the 6x6 waterline tile (top is off white grout). I caught some flack form the guys at pool tile store when I told them I wanted to try this vs. doing a white grout with glass tile. while I love the glass tile, I am not a fan of grout lines, my thought was using a darker grout would make the lines less noticeable. the tile guys, said this wouldn't be a good idea, since the white grout grout makes the color in the tile "POP" ( i am not sure they have ever seen glass done without white grout). I am still trying to decide whether to: 1) stay with the current beige, which is slightly lighter than the 6x6 tile, but isnt too stark compared to the glass tile; or 2) go with a darker grout, which would match the 6x6 tile, but may look weird with the glass tile. thoughts?

Has anyone else used a grout color other than white with glass tile?

View attachment 83119

So I grouted the bottom half of my tile sample with a beige grout that is more similar to the 6x6 waterline tile (top is off white grout). I caught some flack form the guys at pool tile store when I told them I wanted to try this vs. doing a white grout with glass tile. while I love the glass tile, I am not a fan of grout lines, my thought was using a darker grout would make the lines less noticeable. the tile guys, said this wouldn't be a good idea, since the white grout grout makes the color in the tile "POP" ( i am not sure they have ever seen glass done without white grout). I am still trying to decide whether to: 1) stay with the current beige, which is slightly lighter than the 6x6 tile, but isnt too stark compared to the glass tile; or 2) go with a darker grout, which would match the 6x6 tile, but may look weird with the glass tile. thoughts?

Has anyone else used a grout color other than white with glass tile?

View attachment 83119

Three years ago, most of us doing glass tile used the grays for grout. My grout is a medium gray. In fact, it was LightStreams who suggested the gray grout for my color of glass. The consensus of members here seemed to be the glass tile is prettier without stark grout lines. The "disappearing" grout lines gives the effect of a solid (but patterned) glass or mosaic with butted pieces.

As with many design choices, it comes down to preference. Some stark grout lines can look great if that's the effect you're going for. Also, styles change, and I haven't been around much lately to know of any new trends.

From the pictures and not in person, I really like the beige grout you used in the bottom picture. (Is it completely dried in these photos?) I think it looks much better with your waterline tile - and it makes more sense than my gray glass grout with my beige waterline tile. (rats! :brickwall:). I don't recommend a dark grout and wouldn't even with dark glass tile (although I wouldn't go very light). I have places where the grout looks white - not sure if it's a build up or what. I think it's obvious mostly to me. If my grout had been very dark, those places would stand out more. It could be my water or the installation of the tile and water has gotten behind.

You might could go a shade darker with the grout, but it's hard to say from a picture (the differences in color shades are usually very subtle with grout). But for myself, I would not go as dark as the waterline tile.

I am considering the same tile and have not been able to find any pictures of this tile installed online either. I will be using it as an accent tile (raised beam) and on the steps. I am still trying to decide on grout colors that will match both my water line (6x6 tile) and the glass tile. below is a picture of the tile grouted with a light beige. The tile does take on a darker color once it is grouted vs. the sample. I am next going to try a darker grout (one that will match the 6x6 tile), I am hoping that by going to a darker beige grout, that the grout lines will be more "muted" or less noticeable. My recommendation would be to grout your samples to give you a better feel for the color then place the tile outside (where it can be viewed easily from inside your house), that way you can get a better idea of how the tile will look with natural light. Personnally, I think the tile looks more blue than green, but the green undertones are there.
View attachment 83030

Also the tile on the top and bottom are both NPT Equinox Icy Teal, just the top is grouted and the bottom is not.

Hi Smitty,
Were are thinking Icy Teal with our Sandstone trim and coping. Did you try the beige grout? If so, do you have pictures? We need to decide now for next week’s finish. Thanks. David.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Teresalynn

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.