Should I continue to SLAM?

Show us some full pictures and maybe we can help you with those stains.

Good morning,

I cannot upload any photos - it will not let me, says I am over my quota. It is a pretty diffuse discoloration on the liner throughout the pool.

I PASSED MY OVERNIGHT TEST!! Yipppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and as I test with sun up the FC is holding so I am excited about that.

Here are my results.

Test @9:20PM
FC = 5,5
CC = < 0.5 - Very light pink

Test @5:0AM
FC = 5.0

Test @7AM

FC = 4.5
ALK = 100
CYA = 30
pH = 6.8
CH = 125
Iron = < .15

I am refilling pool with house water instead of well water going through a metal trap filter due to all the backwashing and vacuuming. My CYA has dropped 10 ppm and I added 4 bottles of HTH metal stain defense to start treating metals.

I added Soda ash to raise pH according to pool calculator. Unfortunately as I read more of the pool school I see that was mistake becasue it made my alkalinity go up. Ugh the learning process is a rough one. I read more on Alkalinity - I have spa jets on facing up to aerate, but they are always that way so I am not sure that will help.

Test @9:25AM
FC = 4.5
CC = 0 - Clear
pH = 7.5
ALK = 130
Metal Sequestrant = 8

Next step advice? Does it include vodka? :)

Vodka tends to help most anything! :D

If you wish to post more pictures you can become a TroubleFree supporter CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! to get more server storage.

Or you can find a third party picture file hosting site. There are still some that do not charge a fee.

Soda Ash is a tough chemical to use. Always best if you just need to adjust pH, aerate or use borax if necessary. If TA needs raising, use baking soda.

Good morning,

I cannot upload any photos - it will not let me, says I am over my quota. It is a pretty diffuse discoloration on the liner throughout the pool.

I PASSED MY OVERNIGHT TEST!! Yipppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and as I test with sun up the FC is holding so I am excited about that.

Here are my results.

Test @9:20PM
FC = 5,5

Test @5:0AM
FC = 5.0

Test @7AM

FC = 4.5
ALK = 100
CYA = 30
pH = 6.8
CH = 125
Iron = < .15

I am refilling pool with house water instead of well water going through a metal trap filter due to all the backwashing and vacuuming. My CYA has dropped 10 ppm and I added 4 bottles of HTH metal stain defense to start treating metals.

I added Soda ash to raise pH according to pool calculator. Unfortunately as I read more of the pool school I see that was mistake becasue it made my alkalinity go up. Ugh the learning process is a rough one. I read more on Alkalinity - I have spa jets on facing up to aerate, but they are always that way so I am not sure that will help.

Test @9:25AM
FC = 4.5
CC = 0 - Clear
pH = 7.5
ALK = 130
Metal Sequestrant = 8

Next step advice? Does it include vodka? :)

I prefer my celebratory beverages to contain tequila, but hey, it’s your pool!

If I was going to willingly knock any one parameter out of whack, it would be TA, so not the hugest deal there.

You can use postimages.org to post pictures. It's free and easy to use. It will let you post the pics right in your response by copy and pasting a link. Once you submit your response, the picture just shows up instead of the link. Works great.

So, I became a gold member. After all you guys have helped me IMMENSELY!!!

Here is my staining photo, seems to be mostly around edges and middle of the pool!

Pool Stains.jpg

I have the HTH Metal Defense in the first pool & step looks much lighter, but that is about it. Sure hoping I do not have to do another AA treatment. It is pouring rain here now......all I can think of a metal show hahahaha

It's 5 actually, but the pictures are just not truly capturing it. The staining is subtle because it on the entire liner. The background of the liner is supposed to be white - no green tinge at all. The whole liner is green and in some spots brown.
Pool Staining (3).jpg

Pool Staining (1).jpg

Pool Staining (9).jpg

These are the waterfall rocks stained orange.

Pool Staining (6).jpg

Oh well, it is what it is metal stains (I have done 2 AA treatments and watched it change each time from white to green/brown) so I will see if it lightens some in the morning and see if I pass the overnight test again. My pool water went up 1 1/2 inches in this storm my pH and alkalinity came down. I will do another full test in the am and regroup :)

With stains, it's best to keep your pH on the low side (7.2-7.4) to prevent the stains from returning. You also want to avoid high FC levels like during a SLAM for at least a couple of weeks after the treatment. Have you been adding your maintenance dose of sequesterant after the treatment (monthly)? You need a maintenance dose because sequesterant gets broken down slowly by chlorine and has to be replaced to keep the metals in solution in the water.

Also, what type of sequesterant did you use? I used Metal Magic by Proteam with excellent results. I even read on another thread that someone switched from one of the Jacks sequesterants (Purple, Blue, Pink) to Metal Magic because his stains on his liner kept returning with regularity. Once he switched to Metal Magic, the maintenance dose would last much longer (at least a month), before he'd have to add more. I would try that if you haven't already.

You don't even have to add AA again, just add a couple of bottles of MM and see if it goes away. No need to mess with your chemistry (FC) or anything.

With stains, it's best to keep your pH on the low side (7.2-7.4) to prevent the stains from returning. You also want to avoid high FC levels like during a SLAM for at least a couple of weeks after the treatment. Have you been adding your maintenance dose of sequesterant after the treatment (monthly)? You need a maintenance dose because sequesterant gets broken down slowly by chlorine and has to be replaced to keep the metals in solution in the water.

Also, what type of sequesterant did you use? I used Metal Magic by Proteam with excellent results. I even read on another thread that someone switched from one of the Jacks sequesterants (Purple, Blue, Pink) to Metal Magic because his stains on his liner kept returning with regularity. Once he switched to Metal Magic, the maintenance dose would last much longer (at least a month), before he'd have to add more. I would try that if you haven't already.

You don't even have to add AA again, just add a couple of bottles of MM and see you it goes. No need to mess with your chemistry (FC) or anything.

Initially I used Jack's Purple after 2 AA treatments, but the stains came right back on, that is how I know what my liner should look like - I have seen it sparkly white.

I just passed my SLAM this morning & my pH is 7.2 right now.

I tried HTH Metal Defense just today honestly because it was cheaper. I have Jack's sequestrant test kit and I showed a level of 12 now before the rain.

I also have purchased the metal trap filter and use that on my fill water and switched from well to house. After I filled the pool I then hooked it up to the submersible pump to filter the metal out of the pool.

I will see how this HTH Metal Defense works over next day or so. I have been looking at metal magic as well as I want to avoid AA at all cost, but I do want the stains gone - time will tell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was buying my MM from a guy on Amazon that had it for 4 bottles for $62, but it seems that it's not available right now for anywhere near that price. When I click on my old link that I bought it from, it takes me to an offer for 2 bottles for $88. Yikes!!!

I did find a good offer though from Sunplay. If you spend $35+, you get free shipping.

https://sunplay.com/products/proteam-metal-magic-32-oz?variant=6881712603171&gclid=CjwKCAjwp7baBRBIEiwAPtjwxN_te0m8KrScr-PHmHxuGAp146IrBquMnQUV2gomO_VMrAR0tyQvdhoC3pEQAvD_BwE

I did purchase some Metal Magic from Sunplay. :) The worry I have is to use it and if it does not lift the stains I will have to do AA treatment anyway and I will have wasted all that sequestrant. I have to decide to use just Metal Magic and chance it or go straight to AA then add Metal Magic then rebalance.

My only hope is this time when I start to add chlorine after the AA is I have all my filters set up already to grab that oxidized metal right away before it stains should it happen again. Third time a charm?? Ahhhhhhhhhhh decisions!

Moving on to the Metal Removal after SLAM

Passed the overnight chlorine test for second night so let's put the SLAM to bed and head right into Metal removing!!! Going swimming today!!:party::party::party:

A brief summary: I had a severe reaction to shock in the pool upon opening this year. LONG story short I did an AA treatment, a Pool Refresh Treatment, another AA treatment and Jack's Magic Purple.This all did great for the stains, BUT I was unable to get and FC in the pool and water turned brown every time I started to add Chlorine. So, I decided to SLAM and filter out the oxidized metal and get my numbers in check THEN deal with metals. So, here I am.

I put 8 bottles of HTH Metal Stain Defense in yesterday with fair results. I have Jack's Magic test kit and show a sequestrant level of 12 so good there. (If I decide to do the AA treatment this will have to be lower right?)

I did purchase some Metal Magic since SO many on the forum recommend it to see if that will take out more of the stains.he worry I have is to use it and if it does not lift the stains I will have to do AA treatment anyway and I will have wasted all that sequestrant. I have to decide to use just Metal Magic and chance it or go straight to AA then add Metal Magic then rebalance.

My only hope is this time when I start to add chlorine after the AA is I have all my filters set up already to grab that oxidized metal right away before it stains should it happen again. Third time a charm??

Ahhhhhhhhhhh decisions!

I have purchased the Metal trap filter for fill water and currently having it filtering pool via an immersible pump to try to catch the metal I cannot see and my poly buckets filtering out the remaining rust water which is pretty much gone. I am just left with some stains and a decision I am hoping others can help with. :)

Debrina, I'm late to finding this thread and I'm *thrilled* you have tackled this and are on the way to success!

I've never seen any poster with an inground pool hook up the polyfil buckets, I always see it on above ground pools. When this is all over would you do a thread telling and showing in pics how you hooked up all your buckets, filled your skimmers, etc? This would be enormously useful for other inground metal sufferers, y'know?

Again, so happy for you! And thank you for your support of TFP :goodjob:

Maddie :flower:

So, no success story here anymore and I OFFICIALLY HATE my pool!

After passing the overnight test two nights in a row we had a heavy rain AND a sprinkler broke and flooding the patio near the pool - I found about 8 worms in the bottom of the pool and a little debris. Overall the pool looked great. I scooped out the debris and got in pool and scrubbed everything I could find. I also added 24 salt bags and started adding CYA in preparation to use the SWG.

Then I went to test and my FC was GONE! I quickly added chlorine,but could not hold the FC throughout the entire day.

I had a 2.5 drop overnight and very light pink on the cc, found 3 more worms and 1 snail in bottom of pool and 1 wiggly near it - so I had to go store AGAIN and buy more bleach. Got back up to SLAM level of 20 (new CYA level of 50 - I pulled sock out after I realized I had to SLAM again)

9:50 am
FC = 21
CC = 0
CYA 60
pH = 7.5

10:25 am
FC = 21
CC = 0

11:30 am
FC = 18.5
CC = Very light pink
Added 1 jug 8.25% bleach

12 N
FC = 15.5
CC = zero
Added 2.2 jugs 8.25% bleach

Will brush again and retest in 30 minutes

Pool is in full sun starting at 7am until about 5:30 PM. It has been hot and sunny everyday except for that storm on Tuesday.

I am exhausted and running out of my second round of reagents. Just ordered more AGAIN - at this rate I am going though it like water. I am frustrated beyond reason and am wanting to just quit. I thought I was good after passing my overnight test 2 nights in a row, but seems fate has other plans.

I have all my homemade filters and spa jets off. I am just running pool and checking every 30 minutes (brushing in between) to 1 hour if FC holds. pH had gone up from 7.2 to 7.5 as well.

Feeling VERY discouraged and not very hopeful this will ever end.

I also added 24 salt bags and started adding CYA in preparation to use the SWG.

I do not know if you added the SWG already or just adding salt as one is being installed. Although, it is always recommended to add in steps. If you suspect the pool would need 24 bags, then add 12 and test a few days later, then add 6 more and test, then keep going. You can always use liquid and not turn on the cell until you get the salt level where you need it to be. Better to add than have to remove water because there is too much salt.

Pool is in full sun starting at 7am until about 5:30 PM.

Adding at 7 a.m. is not a big deal with liquid chlorine. An overnight drop at those levels in IMO is not considered bad. The higher the concentration, the more you will consume even out of the sun. And as mentioned before, testing error is a big factor with new users of the testing kit.

I am exhausted and running out of my second round of reagents. Just ordered more AGAIN - at this rate I am going though it like water. I am frustrated beyond reason and am wanting to just quit. I thought I was good after passing my overnight test 2 nights in a row, but seems fate has other plans.

Even though not always recommended, during the initial part of the SLAM, use 5 ml. of water and each drop counts as one. It really does not matter whether your levels are 22 or 21 during the slam. You will then save 50% of drops, not powder, etc. Once you see the water getting to the clear point, then switch back to 10 ml., and each drop will count as .5. This is especially helpful if you know that the SLAM will take at least a week or so.

Feeling VERY discouraged and not very hopeful this will ever end.

Taking care of a pool never ends, but as you become familiar with a pool, correction problems become easy and with little to no headaches. Do not give up. I do not get caught up in the daily testing or overnight testing frequently. After a while, you will know your pool and how it works. Each month, if you want to be safe, you can SLAM the pool for a few days, allow your levels to drift down and perform the OCLT. With me, I have a schedule where daily the K-1000 is used. Weekly, I test with the drop kit to determine if there is CC and where my levels are. CYA monthly, TA every 3 weeks, CH monthly, and Salt monthly.

Once the pool is back to normal, add enough chlorine to keep your levels about 1-2 ppm higher than normal for a few weeks. Once you are comfortable, then allow your levels to fall down to the recommended levels and maintain them there. Always, there is a learning curve with pools, but now you are part of the forum, where help is around the corner.

Re: Moving on to the Metal Removal after SLAM

Passed the overnight chlorine test for second night so let's put the SLAM to bed and head right into Metal removing!!! Going swimming today!!:party::party::party:

A brief summary: I had a severe reaction to shock in the pool upon opening this year. LONG story short I did an AA treatment, a Pool Refresh Treatment, another AA treatment and Jack's Magic Purple.This all did great for the stains, BUT I was unable to get and FC in the pool and water turned brown every time I started to add Chlorine. So, I decided to SLAM and filter out the oxidized metal and get my numbers in check THEN deal with metals. So, here I am.

I put 8 bottles of HTH Metal Stain Defense in yesterday with fair results. I have Jack's Magic test kit and show a sequestrant level of 12 so good there. (If I decide to do the AA treatment this will have to be lower right?)

I did purchase some Metal Magic since SO many on the forum recommend it to see if that will take out more of the stains.he worry I have is to use it and if it does not lift the stains I will have to do AA treatment anyway and I will have wasted all that sequestrant. I have to decide to use just Metal Magic and chance it or go straight to AA then add Metal Magic then rebalance.

My only hope is this time when I start to add chlorine after the AA is I have all my filters set up already to grab that oxidized metal right away before it stains should it happen again. Third time a charm??

Ahhhhhhhhhhh decisions!

I have purchased the Metal trap filter for fill water and currently having it filtering pool via an immersible pump to try to catch the metal I cannot see and my poly buckets filtering out the remaining rust water which is pretty much gone. I am just left with some stains and a decision I am hoping others can help with. :)

I merged this post into this thread. Please comment if you have any help for her. THANKS! I also ask Swampy to step in!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.