New pool -- Test kit?

Jul 14, 2010
NW Ohio
Have had the Intex variety of soft-side pools for years, starting with 10' and moving up to 18'. Filled with shallow-well water, always got by with floater-tablets, and a weekly bottle of Bleach.

Finally decided to put in a permanent hard-wall, 24' Aluminum, 4' deep above-ground. Just finished clearing the circle, about to put up walls & liner and begin to fill. This will be twice as much water as I'm used to taking care of.

Would like recommendations on:

1 -- Chemical testing: The little "shaker" chlorine test is what I used. Do I need to do more -- if so, what?

2 -- Test kits: Do I need something fancier than the "shaker" -- if so, can you please give a brand/model of kit?

Thanks all!

Attachments

• 0707180954_resized.jpg
    0707180954_resized.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 71
Good luck on the pool build.

Most of us here use the TF-100 Test Kits or the Taylor K-2006C. If you get the Taylor make sure it is the C model with larger reagents.

I think your best bet is the TF100 kit. It has a ton of reagents and covers a great variety of testing needs.

I bought mine last June and have tons of reagents still. They suggest to replace the reagents once per year, if it weren't for that I could probably test my pool for 5 to 10 years with what comes in it.

Great kit, super easy to use, lots of reagents. Some people may view it as kinda pricey, but if it saves you from having to drain and fill your pool even once it was well worth it. Not to mention the cost
it could save you in dumping gallons after gallons of chlorine in a pool fighting green water.

The shaker your using probably only does chlorine... maybe pH. You really need to know at the least what your CYA levels are as well, in addition to the total alkalinity and if your using well water your
going to want to know where your calcium hardness is at.

I love my kit, well worth the price I paid. If I had any gripe, it may be that they offered a "cheaper" version with less reagents or if not maybe a "smaller" restocking kit. Who knows, it's been long enough
ago that I may have forgotten and they do offer a smaller restock kit!

I do know that each year in March they offer a discount on restocking kits for the reagents. Can't go wrong with the TF100 IMO!

Either. I have a rock yard (desert here) so just dump them out.

Do not dump in pool preferably.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.