Cloudy water because I'm a dummy

Jun 24, 2018
Buhl, Al
Hey yall, this is my first post here but I have been lurking for quite some time...

Today I setup my new sand filter with SWG. I had been using a cheap cartridge filter while building a place to house my new pump and getting the chem right for SWG startup. My problem is that once I got everything all setup and my new sand in the filter I just fired it right up.

Maybe it was working all day in the Alabama heat but I knew better, I've owned all kinds of sand/DE/Bio-Ball filters and know you have to rinse the media first. My question is what the best course of action is, should I get some floc and vac all the dust out, use clarifier and let the filter do it's thing or let it just settle out?

Good news is the SWG is up and running and my chem is all spot on thanks to this site, this is the first time I have had a successful pool startup and not had to use a bunch of chemicals. Of course I'm now older and more patient so that helped too.?

Ok thanks, I'll try that first but I'm afraid I may have a bigger issue. Turns out the bag of filter "sand" I got is a zeolite based material that many people have had problems with. Clorox filter sand +... I'll see if I can get it to clear up but I may just chalk it up to a noob mistake, cut my losses, and empty the filter to fill with real filter sand.

Also, here are my specs and chemistry. Just ran a full panel so these are up to date.

7600 gal. 18' x 48" power steel frame
1500 Gph Intex 28675EG with SWG

FC - 3ppm
CC - 0.4ppm
pH - 7.7
TA - 150
CH - 80 (vinyl liner)
CYA - 70ppm
SC (salt) - 3400ppm

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.