georgiadawg

Jul 15, 2014
Eastanollee GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Hi, we upgraded from a 22 x 52 pro series poly group Frame pool to a 24 x 52. The old pool had a cartridge filter system. This one came with a sand filter system and I have never used one of those.

My question is about vacuuming the pool. I feel stupid but I don't see how we can vacuum it the way we did with the other filtration system. (Where we hooked it directly to the intake with a hose and cover over the skimmer). Are we going to have to use a water hose every time to vacuum with this sand filter? This pool doesn't have a skimmer either, so I'm not sure how to work vacuuming with it. Do you do it the same way? Just hook your vacuum hose to the intake? If so, how does that work with the sand, etc. and any debris you suck up?

I hope I am making sense. I'm sure this is something easy but I just can't get my head around it the way it is set up now.

Thanks.

Re: New to sand filter have a few questions

I posted this question in another area but no one has replied and I really need an answer.
We upgraded from a 22x52 pro series pool with a cartridge filter and skimmer by poly group to a 24 x 52 pool from the same company that has a sand filter. But it has no skimmer. How do we vacuum it?? I can’t find anything anywhere that tells us how to do that. Before we just put the included plate and hose on the skimmer and vacuumed. I don’t see anywhere to hook a hose on this one. Or any way to keep debris out of the pump if you rigged it somehow. We can’t keep using the water hose to vacuum. It’s using way too much water and adding that water to our pool.
How do you this without a skimmer?

If you don't have an in-wall skimmer, then I'm assuming you simply have a single suction hole fitting in the side of the pool. Even if that's the case, the concept is the same. You'll need to find a way to attached a vacuum hose to that suction port. Usually there is an adapter or fitting you'll use, possibly replacing the decorative factory screw-on one with a different one for vacuuming so you can attach the hose. Then the rest is the same. With filter multiport valve in the filter position, vacuum. If the pool is really dirty with larger debris at the bottom, you can vacuum to waste which bypasses the sand, but then your water level will drop faster. SO it sounds like you just need to find a way (an interface adapter of sorts) to connect the vacuum hose to the suction port.

If your other thread is still out there, I'll either combine the two or delete the other to avoid confusion.

Thanks. The other question I have is if you hook it straight to the intake, how does that keep debris from messing up the pump? And does the debris just sit in the sand? Until you backwash? I’m worried about something like a piece of acorn or such messing up the impeller since there isn’t a basket or screen to catch larger debris like there is with a skimmer.

Regardless of how it's vacuumed (suction intake or skimmer) everything goes to the pump "basket" first. That basket (under the clear lid) is the pump's first line of defense against the large things like twigs, stones, etc. The finer stuff will slip past the basket and get caught in the filter - in your case sand. Before you vacuum, make note of your clean (baseline) starting pressure. Once you start vacuuming, check on the psi gauge. When it increases by about 25%, it's time to backwash. After you backwash, you'll do a "rinse" and watch to ensure the sight glass runs clear, and continue for about another 30 seconds or so. Then go back to filter. Always make sure to turn off the pump when changing multiport valve positions. That's very important to prevent damage.

Do you have suggestions on how or where I can find an adapter? I’ve googled but all I’ve found is one from intex and I have no idea if that will work.

It might be best to measure the actual size of that suction pipe/opening in the side of the pool, then also measure the vacuum hose as well so you can google some end-to-end adapters. If it becomes overwhelming, you might call a couple places like PoolSupply.com or Inyopools.com. I'm sure they have something. You can also post back here with those sizes and members will try to do some searching online as well to help. I know many others have had to do the same thing. We just have to find the thread.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I don’t know what that is

- - - Updated - - -

This isn’t a permanent walled pool. It’s the kind with the frame and vinyl walls. Can you retrofit one of those on a pool like this?

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t know what you are talking about with a clear lid. This pump doesn’t have that. Or the sight glass you mention. There’s nothing like that on this pump.

Yes you can put a wall skimmer on an Intex type pool, tons of people have done it (even me!) it works so much better than the silly wall intakes that are a foot or more below the waterline, or the clamp-on in-the-pool skimmers. There are lot of threads here and you tube videos. Here is just one from the sticky for Intex owners at the top of the Above Ground forum. Upgraded plumbing and thru-wall skimmer for Intex pool.

edit: I see the images don't show up in that old post but there are lots more threads on the topic. If I run across another I will link, otherwise try the search box at the top right.

Can we use the skimmer/pump that was on our 22 x 52? It's an integrated unit and worked just fine. It was actually a new pump we had bought at the end of the season last year. We saved it after the frame broke on the pool (We'd had it for several years) and we upgraded to this one. If we do that, would we keep the pump part of it on the bottom, or just plump it straight to the sand filter pump?

Can we use the skimmer/pump that was on our 22 x 52? It's an integrated unit and worked just fine. It was actually a new pump we had bought at the end of the season last year. We saved it after the frame broke on the pool (We'd had it for several years) and we upgraded to this one. If we do that, would we keep the pump part of it on the bottom, or just plump it straight to the sand filter pump?

I am not familiar with the integrated equipment, but I bet it would work one way or another. Search or maybe start another topic about connecting a pump and sand filter to an old (whatever the brand/style) that is. Here is a new more generic brand skimmer for under $30 - https://www.amazon.com/HydroTools-Swimline-Standard-Thru-Wall-Skimmer/dp/B0032JSQES/ref=pd_day0_hl_86_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0032JSQES&pd_rd_r=07ed493a-79b6-11e8-b657-fff5d677929c&pd_rd_w=iWry8&pd_rd_wg=SrsSD&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=4014010564823900592&pf_rd_r=3XGRQGMY5W6XPFAR7WJ9&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=3XGRQGMY5W6XPFAR7WJ9

Amazon.com : Pool Blaster Water Tech Max Li Pool Outdoor

This could possibly be a much easier solution.

I use one for light duty cleaning on my pool.

but do order the 4 yr extended warranty. They sometimes only last 2 years.

Thank you! This looks like the way we will probably go for this year. I'm just not quite ready to cut into my pool wall on a brand new pool. I just don't have that much confidence yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.