Pump Struggling? Air infiltrating? w/ VIDEO

May 1, 2013
Would love some advice on what experts are seeing here. Earlier this year I posted about my pump not being able to keep a full reservoir when running on the main drain only. After input, I feel the pump is losing some of its power and was unable to lift a full column of water from the main drain only. Fast forward a couple months after everything was working fine with both skimmers and main drain lines open; now the reservoir, again, is not staying full. What could be causing this? Few things I am considering.

1. Do I need to clean or service the pump itself in any way?
2. There appears to be more noise coming from the head of the sand filter. Could that be promoting the loss of suction?
3. Considering my setup, is there a pump replacement suggestion? I may identify my outlet now so I am ready when the time comes?

Here is a video of everything in motion. Pool Pump Struggling - YouTube

I appreciate the help.

After input, I feel the pump is losing some of its power and was unable to lift a full column of water from the main drain only.

It's possible that the pump impeller is worn to the point that it can't function properly, but I think unlikely. How high above the pool water level is the pump? Most likely, you have a suction side leak (somewhere between the skimmer/main drain and the pump). It gets worse when you run only from the main drain as the resistance to flow from a single return pipe is high. The noise you are hearing at the top of the filter is an air bubble from the air being drawn in from a suction side leak.

First thing to try is running water over the return line fitting where it goes into the pump to see if that reduces the air bubble in the sight glass. If it does then that's where your leak is.

It's possible that the pump impeller is worn to the point that it can't function properly, but I think unlikely. How high above the pool water level is the pump? Most likely, you have a suction side leak (somewhere between the skimmer/main drain and the pump). It gets worse when you run only from the main drain as the resistance to flow from a single return pipe is high. The noise you are hearing at the top of the filter is an air bubble from the air being drawn in from a suction side leak.

First thing to try is running water over the return line fitting where it goes into the pump to see if that reduces the air bubble in the sight glass. If it does then that's where your leak is.

Pump is roughly 1' above the water level. Couple more things that I just had occur. I turned off the breaker to the pump and somehow air pressure shot out of the skimmer and had enough force to pop the lid and turn the basket upside down. In addition, when I turned the breaker back on the pump could not prime itself. For the first time in a long time and I had to bring the hose over and help it prime. Does that further point to a specific issue? Thanks for the help.

Jon,

Either you have a massive suction side air leak or your filter is stopped up..

If your pressure gauge is working it looks maxed out!!! If not working how do you know the filter pressure???

My guess is that your pool was green and you used some kind of algaecide or clarifier that has compromised your sand filter... :(

I suggest that you put your filter in the recirculate position and see if the pump starts working and you get good flow back to your pool... If you do, you will know the problem is most likely the filter. If you still have the same problem, then I would be looking for a suction side air leak.

I doubt it is bad, but I would also make sure the impeller is connected to the motor shaft...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.