Best to have pump run longer or have a higer SWG %?

gsrel

Aug 29, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Just wondering if its best to run ones pump for longer or have a SWG set at a higher level?

I currently have my pump running at 6hrs and SWG set at 10% .. I run the pump at night around 25gpm

I was at about 1.5fc last week and today at 0.5fc - I've used the pool perhaps 3 times and it stays uncovered

Im not sure if the following are fine aswell? I see a few different websites mentioning different levels of total alkalinity (60-80, 80-120)

FC: 0.5
CC: 0.5
Total Alkalinity: 130
PH: 7.6
Salt: 3,200
Calcium Hardness: Is this necessary?
CYA: 50

Your FC is dangerously low. Raise it now with liquid chlorine.

What is your CYA?

The pool chemistry does not care when you add chlorine. As long as the minimum FC of the day does not drop below your target level FC based on your CYA as shown on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

Other factors drive your pump run. Skimming, sufficient filtering, etc. Also good circulation to all areas of the pool.

CH does not matter on the low side. To the high side, yes.

TA is something that we do not really focus on. pH is what to watch. And if your pH rises faster than you like, lower your TA. Minimum TA is 50 ppm.

/\... Bingo! Now that's more savings. Likewise, my swcg is locked at 100% and shorter motor runtime. Longer in the summer when chlorine demand is at the highest. That being said, I have to re-program the VS pump runtime schedules twice a year, big deal!

While others must run their pump longer for whatever reasons, buying an oversized salt cell to cap the output is just not me :scratch: But to each his own!

Which level should CYA be set at?

I see on my Aquacheck test strips it says that the ideal reading is between 30-50 but on the FC/CYA Chart it mentions that it should be around 70~

You can't rely on test strips for chemical checks. Get a TF-100 Test Kits and do a proper check before you add more CYA. If you get too much CYA it will require draining water to lower it.

Once you do a proper CYA test you should get your CYA to 70 - 80 for a SWG.

I suggest you dump the test strips. As they age they get more inaccurate. It doesn't take much to run any of the Taylor tests. I would never add chemicals based on a test strip result.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.