Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I being unreasonable... Pics inside

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I being unreasonable... Pics inside

Well it was time to close the pool for the first time. When we purchased and had the pool installed in April this year, we also purchased a safety cover as we have a little one on the way and two dogs.

My pool company has come by to install it yesterday and there are chunks of concrete missing around the dowels for the safety cover. There is literally only 4 or 5 holes that are drilled without taking chunks of the concrete out. Is this normal or should I be upset? I am actually quite furious as this is going to look horrendous when the safety cover is off during the summer.

Any opinions from all would be appreciated. How clean of an install is it on your IG pools?

BTW, in the first picture I already have a crack in the concrete of where the grab rails are in the deep end. Should I have a crack in the concrete only 5 months into having a pool?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    63,000 litre IG Vinyl Pool. 16 x 32 Gemini. Zeobrite filled sand filter. Zodiac Duo Clear 130 Salt System, Hayward Pool Heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Am I being unreasonable... Pics inside

The real experts will be along shortly. However, IMHO, they should've patched those chunks that are missing around those dowel screws. That would be placed under, "Paying attention to details" in my book. I have no idea about the crack in the first pic.

I'd probably be upset too, and my wife would probably be livid!
    Rob B
    My $100 pool finally died after 6 years.
    Totally got our monies worth!
    Butterfly made me do it...

3. Back To Top    #3

i would say its not unusual to have a crack. But those chips IMO should not have happened to that extent. Seems like the concrete is brittle at the top..... Just a guess. I put those anchors in Pavers and had no chipping.
    Lebanon Pa ( So Cent Pa)
    17,000 gal.
    self installed Vinyl
    SWG, 500#sand filter 3 hp hayward
    "Heat Siphon"electric heat pump

4. Back To Top    #4

You definitely should be upset. They should have taken more care when setting the dowels. The concrete should not be spalled like that. I'd definitely make them come back and fix them to your satisfaction.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Hello!
    Welcome to the forum! I believe your installer forgot your trim ring that surrounds the anchor. I have a circular trim ring that is crowned and would cover some of your chipped concrete. They should not have chipped IMO.
    18,000 IG Vinyl
    Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

I had a similar situation five years ago when my holes were drilled. My concrete work for my deck is nice and I was upset. I went back to the installer and he put flanges (they look like washers and match the color of the brass anchors that are in the holes - not sure if flanges is the right word). This improved the way these looked, but there are still several that show cracking outside the diameter of the flanges. It is an option for you to consider.
    30K gal in ground shotcrete pool with Sunstone Select finish
    Attached raised spa with spillway
    DE filter, 400K btu heater
    Ray-Vac cleaner
    Use BBB methods

7. Back To Top    #7

It's pretty hard to drill concrete without some chipping. The drill catches a piece of aggregate near the surface and pops it loose and you have a chip. I have 3 or 4 on my deck that have chips, and I was very careful drilling. One of them drilled fine, but chipped when I was tapping the anchor into the hole.

That said, yours look like they could indicate poor finishing of the concrete. The finish around the railing anchor indicates lack of concrete experience, and I wouldn't be happy with it, but the cure may be worse than living with it. How many anchors have the chipping around them? I'm afraid that you aren't going to find a patch that is going to look much better than the chips. The collars mentioned are pretty easy to install. Here's what they look like

I ordered 6 and installed them, but I decided I'd be better off ignoring the chips after they were on the anchors for a year, as they just made the anchors more noticeable.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for all the replies.

Without being home at the moment, there has to be about 20 anchors (or drilling) that have damaged the concrete in this manner. It is really disappointing, as I probably would not have gotten the safety cover if this was going to happen.

I am hoping collars will be my answer I guess, as I honestly believe that trying to patch the concrete is going to make it look worse.
    63,000 litre IG Vinyl Pool. 16 x 32 Gemini. Zeobrite filled sand filter. Zodiac Duo Clear 130 Salt System, Hayward Pool Heater.