Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Hi,

I just installed a VS pool pump, and all is working well. I am trying to dial in on how much time I should be running it and at what speed. I am using default now, whish is like 14 hours, but 10 of those are at 1200 RPM. I am sure this is too much. Not sure if really helpful but was thinking of adding a flow Meter to get a better idea of what speeds moves how much water. I have a Jandy check valve right before the pump, and I saw this item. Is this thing better than one of those where you punch a hole in the pipe? Does this degrade flow? Any reason (besides cost) I would not buy this?

http://tftestkits.net/FloVis-Flow-Meter-Retrofit-Meter-p75.html

thanks,
Paul

Paul,

There is zero "need" for a flow meter as it just does not matter in the big picture... Now if you "want" a flow meter then it should fit right in the Jandy valve housing. I can't see the meter having any more restriction on flow than your current Check valve.

I suspect you are trying to figure out how many turns overs a day you are getting... Turns overs are an old myth and sounded good at the time, but we have found it just does not matter... There is no need to worry about having a complete water turn over in a specific period of time. Chemicals are what keeps your pool sanitized and clear, not how many times you run the water through your filter.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I would start at 1100 rpm and throw a few leaves in various spots in the pool. If they make it to the skimmer within a few min you say 3 to 5 you are good, if they just sit idle bump the speed by 50 rpm or so until you get a satisfactory result. In my opinion skimming does more to keep water free of dirt and debris than filtering, better to get things before they sink then to have to remove them out of the middle of the water.

As Jim eluded to as far as sanitation all you need to do is mix the chemicals with the water to be sanitized, that happens quickly the rest is just polish.

If you attached a short length of hose(not long as to not add friction to water flow and at least the same size or bigger diameter then your existing plumbing) to the supply eyeball jet on the side of your pool and fill up a container that you know the exact volume of (maybe a large plastic container) and timed it then you could calculate your flow rate per minute. You should allow it to sink as you fill it up. Of course if you have two return eyeballs you will need two hoses and containers at the same time.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.