15' Above Ground Pool site level - Please Help

Chett

Jun 17, 2018
Brentwood, Ca
We have created a 16' circle and used a jumping jack machine to compact hard clay soil. There are some low spots in the pool, specifically on the lowest point.
Not sure where to go from here. I am reading all over not to fill the pits and valleys but to bring all the highest points around it to level with the lowest points.
I am going to use a Contempra 15' pool.

20180617_091414.jpg

My question is this:

1. IF the area is level can I fill the low spots with crushed limestone?
2. IF I cannot get the site smooth (not sure if you are supposed to) can I use a thick 15' preformed pad?
3. IF the pad is acceptable do I still use sand? Would this be under or over that pad. I did order an optional pad for the bottom when I got the pool.
4. Can I use anything other masonry sand? What other sand is acceptable for under a pool?

Any help appreciated.

How low of a low spot are we talking? If it's under 3 inches and you just need to smooth out the surface crushed limestone is fine to use. Just make sure to compact it.

If it is a significant portion of one side of the pool is low then yes you should dig down the high side to match the low side.

Any sand that is free of rocks and pebbles is fine for under the liner. You will feel even the smallest pebble thru the liner so you want the sand to be very uniform.

If you use sand you won't need a pad. The sand should be compacted with a heavy roller or compactor. This will give you a very smooth surface.

Thanks so much. It is hard clay, there are small dips and valleys in the dirt within the circle about 1-2 inches. (see previous posted pic) We will use limestone, I have heard that before. The Plane of the circle all the way around seems uniform, the bubble on the level just touches the line. How that equates to inches I am not sure. We will be purchasing a High Mil tarp then putting a gorilla pad on top of that. We will not use sand. Unless you think that is a bad mistake. I am reading some people use a tarp and pads instead of sand. Another pad (probably a cheapy) came with the pool so I can use that on top of the gorilla pad for extra thickness.

Touching the line on a level is about 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch over the length of the level. Depending on how much bubble you are touching.

It sounds like you are close and just need a finish grade and I that case sand or lime is fine you will still need the sand over the top of the lime if you add a layer of that.

Talk to your local gravel pit. Some of them sell the run off that's 1/4 Or less with lots of gravel dust mixed in... packs like concrete and easy to work with. Pretty sure the same as other places limestone

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am going to use in the following order:

1. Tarp - Not sure which kind is best
2. 1" Foam Pads
3. Liner Pad.

But I do not want to get off subject, from the postings above it has been mentioned limestone to fill in the small shallow dips and valleys. If I am allowed to do sand just for that task, I will. HD has playground sand and I can use a small amount to fill some of the shallow areas. If I cannot I can get some general use gravel 1/4" stuff.

Thoughts anyone?

I mentioned it earlier. If you are just doing finish grade and filling small dips sand is a good material to use. Just make sure to tamp it down or use a heavy lawn roller to compact the sand.

I would use the mason sand over the playground sand tho. Playground sand has small rocks in it that you may feel thru the liner. Mason sand is screened to a uniform size with no rocks/pebbles.

Thanks to everyone for your answers. I have another question. Laying a 2x6 with a level from the 12 o'clock position, to the 6 o'clock position of my circle starting at the 12 o'clock side, I am reading dead center. By the time I get to the 6 o'clock position the bubble is touching the line but not through it. Is this acceptable or bad?
What would be my next step? Thanks

OK, is 3/4" acceptable?

- - - Updated - - -

The level is at the end of the 2x6 at the edge. As I move the level back the other way to the other end the bubble goes perfectly level. With the bubble touching the line I think it is a 2% grade.

Thanks. Going on the assumption that it is level in the center and the 12 o'clock position of off by 3/4" at the 6 o'clock position am I ok?
Also I am thinking of using 1" foam pad (pink stuff) instead of sand because sand can shift or wash away in a heavy rain. Also I cannot find mason sand here. So I am using a Tarp first then the foam pad the foam cover I got with the pool.
We were also going to sink concrete piers 16x16v16 under each foot for the plates to stand on, but thinking not only is it way overkill it will take forever to dig square holes for them in dry hard clay that hardens like granite when the water evaporates.
I keep reading that 12x12x1 or 2 is sufficient. Thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.