Kailua-Kona, HI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Today, I set my new ionizer afloat . . . .

I have read TFP posts regarding water chemistry/treatment by several members, and their conflicting opinions regarding this unit seem to abound. Some opinions refer to the lack of microbial sanitation using this device. Remington Solar advises "using a small amount (2 to 3 parts per million) of sanitizer to keep your pool microbe-free. You may still use small quantities of chlorine, bromine, or a non-chlorine sanitizer."

. . . . and my personal independent product evaluation continues. :testkit:

It is too small to do much of anything useful to your pool. It is adding metals to the water which we never recommend. Not sure where you found "conflicting opinions" on TFP.

What is the point if you need to still add chlorine?
If you just keep the proper chlorine levels relative to the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] there is not purpose for this floating contraption.

Jack,

I'm pretty sure there is not a lot of "conflicting" opinions on this product here at TFP...

Magic just does not exist, and no matter what you call it, when all is said and done, you are not going to find a rabbit in that hat..

Jim R.

You mean all these conflicting opinions from TFP Moderators and TFP Experts?

--"Meanwhile we will continue to discourage anybody from using these horrible products"

--"This falls under the category of calcium reducing pipe magnets, solar "enhanced" power crystals, rainbow powered unicorn flatulence and The Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes.....and I think I'd have better luck with winning the sweepstakes...."

--"Run fast. More here, Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!"

--"Just another copper ionizer. Stay away."

--"Looks like it is probably a gimmick copper ion system, our general advice here on anything with copper in it is go running and screaming"

--"
Also, the name is really misleading. It implies that this is some sort of chlorine-free sanitizer, which is most certainly is not. It is just another overpriced algae-prevention device that introduces potentially stain causing minerals in to your pool."

Remington Solar advises "using a small amount (2 to 3 parts per million) of sanitizer to keep your pool microbe-free. You may still use small quantities of chlorine, bromine, or a non-chlorine sanitizer."

Typical industry chlorine level of 2-3 ppm - with or without the 'ionizer' - without regard to CYA levels.

;23099 said:
Pool owners frequently seek out "Chemical Free" alternatives to pool water sanitization . . . often without adequate scientific proof of their efficacy . . . there are the 'metal ion' and 'mineral' systems that might also include oxidation by oxygen (not ozone). Some of them are active and use electricity and metal electrodes to generate the ion . . . Metals do have algaestatic and bacteriostatic properties but they have very slow kill times so they look better on paper then in actual use . . . a swimming pool is an open system, meaning anything can and will drop into the pool at any time . . . a residual EPA approved sanitizer with fast kill times is needed . . . Ionizers do basically the same thing by electrolysis of copper and silver electrodes . . . they are not primary sanitizers and need to be used with a chlorine residual . . . there is that 'chlorine is bad and I want something safer' market to tap into, and there are plenty of well-intentioned people who buy into the hype . . . chlorine is an effective sanitizer and oxidizer and copper is not . . . biggest drawback to metal ion systems, besides the fact that they are NOT primary sanitizers, is that they can stain pools and people--green hair is caused by copper . . . copper is a very effective algaecide and zinc is almost as effective so if you have one of these systems your water will probably look clear most of the time because algae won't grow but other things can! Clear water does not automatically mean safe water! These systems leave you feeling like you are doing something good for your family, but what you are potentially doing is exposing them to dangerous bacteria and pathogens . . . Chlorine gets a lot of bad press but anyone who follows the methods we outline here and at TFP know that a properly chlorinated pool does not fade your bathing suits, make your eyes red, or smell like chlorine! It actually is a lot safer than the alternatives when it comes right down to it.

I do wish that I had found this post much earlier. I defer to TFP and its experts. :salut:

Why don't you just dump some copper sulfate in your pool? Same thing, 1/10th the price.

but jblizzle and Pollzzz are 100% correct, there are no conflicting opinions here. It adds copper to your pool, we are pretty united on our distaste for copper. Copper stains and only keeps algae at bay. If you want to run lower FC levels (why?) there are several far better ways to attempt it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.