Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I'm trying this shock product my neighbor has that says 78% sodium hypochlorite and 22% other. No where can I find what the other is. It says to use at night and it's a powder. 1lb bags. Does anyone know about these products and might know what the other is? Sorry don't know the brand.

Pic of label in my album in sig I can't figure out how to attach on this mobile app.

- - - Updated - - -

78% calcium hypochlorite

Typically cal hypo is 73% -- but this might be different.

Adds calcium and chlorine. Use Effects of Adding Chemicals in PoolMath to see what you get.

This is the problem pool again and this is what we got. Pool has chlorine but losing too fast. We need to put a lot in trying to raise to 20. Pool looks great just can't keep any chlorine.

- - - Updated - - -

Typically cal hypo is 73% -- but this might be different.

Adds calcium and chlorine. Use Effects of Adding Chemicals in PoolMath to see what you get.

Thanks this is what I needed to know!!

This is the problem pool again and this is what we got. Pool has chlorine but losing too fast. We need to put a lot in trying to raise to 20. Pool looks great just can't keep any chlorine.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks this is what I needed to know!!
If you ae trying to add fast, like during a SLAM Process, ignore solid products and always go with liquid.

Any lights in the pool?
Few years back someone posted about a similar issue and found algae in the fixture housing waiting to eat the chlorine

He has 2 lights but wouldn't the chlorine kill it all eventually? We have added a LOT of chlorine to this pool (mostly liquid). We got 4 cases of 12.5% and all 16 gallons went in over 2 days. More gallons 8.25% bleach than we can count. The SWCG which is on 100% output. And now the 78% cal-hypo. He is getting understandably frustrated with all this and I think ready to go back to the pool-store method where at least the issues are masked by magical chemicals. Not sure what else to do at this point.

He has been running the same sand/DE filter for 15 years and has never cleaned it out. Is it possible that is the issue? I have no experience with sand filters. He backwashes regularly though.

I almost think maybe some animal like a mouse or frogs are stuck in the plumbing somewhere.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hidden algae is more of a can't pass a oclt kind of thing. It stays hidden due to poor water circulation and typically doesn't kick out too much algae, just enough to make it come back.

Are you doing a tfp slam or just throwing stuff in

Lights do not get any flow behind them and if you pull them from the niche they are probably full of algae. Also you need to know what the CH level is and keep an eye on it if you are going to use cal-hypo. Too much calcium can also cause problems in a pool.

What are his current test results?

Lights do not get any flow behind them and if you pull them from the niche they are probably full of algae. Also you need to know what the CH level is and keep an eye on it if you are going to use cal-hypo. Too much calcium can also cause problems in a pool.

What are his current test results?

Algae will thrive without light? His CH is already at 400 plus. I am thinking we will empty out the DE filter today and inspect everything. If it looks ok I think we'll run the pool with the filter empty. If that solves the problem then he can replace all the DE. I just can't see where all this chlorine is going. I tested CYA today and it is 70. pH is low like 7.2. Salt is 3800 he added a little bit too much. Chlorine was at 2 this morning. I'll see if we can remove the lights for inspection. Never did that before.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI: Pool is very clear. Walls and all surfaces are not slimy at all just feels like clean plaster. Skimmer baskets are great and his pool gets very little garbage blowing into it.

Is the filter a sand or DE filter, you state both above? If it is a DE filter and has never been taken apart in 15 years I would expect that he needs new grids once this is taken care of. If it is a sand filter do a deep cleaning on the filter, Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter.

This sounds like a total neglect of pool maintenance and now he is paying for it. The proper way to fix it is following the SLAM procedure to a tee.

Why do you want to run the pool without the filter? If the water is clear, but consuming chlorine, running without a filter is not going to help. If it is a DE filter, back washing doesn't remove all the old DE. Once a year the filter needs to be opened up and hosed out, and the grids need to be inspected for breaks and tears. A sand filter should be deep cleaned once per year.

Ok i just found out how a de filter works I looked at YouTube. Lol I had no idea I thought it was just a container of de. So we're going to clean the filter today and check the lights.

We thoroughly cleaned out the entire DE filter all the grids look great and put brand new DE in the filter. There was a LOT of DE in there I think too much. Also cleaned behind the 2 lights and did find a bunch of brown junk that appeared organic so might have been something there. That air leak is a cracked pump lid found it while cleaning the lid so a new lid is on order. Leaks a lot but pump should be ok for another few days until the new lid comes in.

I left the pool with a FC of 4. I want to see if it drops later tonight. We are hoping for 0 drop and actually an increase. SWCG is at 90% so it should be able to keep up with any chlorine usage (pool is not being used). If I see a drop I will hit it with 3 bags of that 78% cal-hypo and hope it is just the leftover garbage from the light and filter deep cleaning.

Fingers crossed!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.