Dolphin Controller waterproofing

Mindflux

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2014
Pflugerville, TX
Are the Dolphin controllers that run the robot waterproof? My Aquabot Breeze 4WD just has a single button (Power) and I guess an internal timer and whatever else but it is water tight. I see some of the higher end Dolphins have a few more buttons on them and in some cases a display. Are these water tight? Like if they get caught left out in a storm?

The power supply is water resistant but not totally waterproof. I would not leave it out in the rain without some way of keeping water off the controller.

I have a covered patio near my pool where the cleaner stays sonits out of the sun and occasional rain. I also have a caddy. Did you get the caddy with your cleaner?

The power supply is water resistant but not totally waterproof. I would not leave it out in the rain without some way of keeping water off the controller.

I have a covered patio near my pool where the cleaner stays sonits out of the sun and occasional rain. I also have a caddy. Did you get the caddy with your cleaner?

I don't have a dolphin yet and no my Aquabot doesn't have a caddy. My issue primarily is that Texas is known in the spring time especially to have torrential downpours and the controller may get caught in them. As I said my Aquabot controller has been through many storms.

I would say that if you leave a Dolphin controller out in a rainstorm then you’re asking for trouble. It may not go bad right away but you’re definitely going to shorten the lifespan or open yourself up to failure. The controllers are not repairable, only replaceable. So a failed controller outside a warranty replacement is going to cost you $200-$300. I always suggest getting a caddy as it makes wheeling the unit around and storing it MUCH easier.

If you absolutely can’t or do not want to take the controller indoors, then I suggest you put a small plastic equipment shed or deck box (like a SunCast or similar) near the equipment so the robot can be stored under cover. If they are not on a caddy, then the Dolphin needs to be stored on its side or upside down to avoid smashing the brushes. Some people cut short lengths of 2x4 and store the unit on those so the brushes remain suspended.

Ya cover it somehow or keep it out of the weather. Same goes for direct sun on the control box, keep
it in shade somehow. I use a watering can placed in front of it.

The caddy also serves the important function of keeping the brushes from developing flat spots,
say if they were resting on the ground instead of in the caddy.

I didn't get a caddy for my cleaner, but I have the tracks on a raised board and the front brush
overhangs that so I don't get flat spots.

I would say that if you leave a Dolphin controller out in a rainstorm then you’re asking for trouble. It may not go bad right away but you’re definitely going to shorten the lifespan or open yourself up to failure. The controllers are not repairable, only replaceable. So a failed controller outside a warranty replacement is going to cost you $200-$300. I always suggest getting a caddy as it makes wheeling the unit around and storing it MUCH easier.

If you absolutely can’t or do not want to take the controller indoors, then I suggest you put a small plastic equipment shed or deck box (like a SunCast or similar) near the equipment so the robot can be stored under cover. If they are not on a caddy, then the Dolphin needs to be stored on its side or upside down to avoid smashing the brushes. Some people cut short lengths of 2x4 and store the unit on those so the brushes remain suspended.

I store my Aquabot and controller in a deck box when not in use. But as I said spontaneous rainstorms have soaked my Aquabot controller which has not caused grief yet. If I get a Dolphin I'll have to rig up a container to protect it from the elements.

I cover the power supply with a bucket if I suspect rain before I will remove the cleaner. I remove it soon after cleaning so it’s a reasonable option for me. I use a heavy duty bucket which won’t likely get blown off in a storm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.