Aqualamp Tripping GFI

Jun 12, 2015
Waterdown, Ontario
I just opened the pool today and noticed that the GFI on my Aqualamp transformer box is yellow and tripped. Yesterday I tried resetting it but it wouldn't stick. Today the reset button makes that click sound but still won't stick. The whole system is about 14 years old. There was a bit of water in the transformer box so I'm drying that out as we speak. Both fuses inside were not tripped.

I pulled the actual lights out just now and noticed that there is water in the actual housing behind where the bulb sits (there is a gasket around it so I'm assuming it should be water tight). Is it fair to assume that I need to replace the bulbs themselves (and casings) or do the GFI's on these things tend to die as well?

Just not sure if the issue is at the bulb or at the transformer box (or both)?

Thanks!

First off, please do not try to reset it again. It is telling you something is wrong. Second, there should not be any water in the transformer box or the bulb. It does sound like a re do is in order. Sorry :(

Are we talking about a GFCI outlet or a GFCI integrated in the transformer box? If the GFCI will not reset it needs to be replaced. Outdoor ones get unreliable over time due to corrosion. Easy enough to test a GFCI outlet for power by plugging something into it.

I would attack it from the sequence of GFCI -> Transformer -> Lights seeing that you have power at each point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.