First Time Opening. Need Advice.

May 23, 2018
Chicago, IL
Edit* I just noticed I posted this to the wrong Topic. My apologies.

Hello everyone.

Flying solo this year and opening our pool up on our own, without having a company do it. Had a few questions to make sure I'm not missing anything before I turn the system on.

I pulled the plugs out of the pool and both skimmers (shallow and deep). The skimmers both had 2 plugs, respectively. There is also a sliding flap inside that can cover one of the holes.
I slid it to cover the back one (assuming it is the one to the main drain from what I've read online) on both skimmers. Within an hour, it drained the pool's water level from the top to the bottom level of the skimmer. We reversed the flap to the front and it is no longer draining water. To my knowledge, the front hole is for vacuuming and goes to the filter.

I checked the filter beforehand, and there weren't any winterizing plugs stored there. The only plug I've spotted is still screwed into the filter.

My questions are:
1) Is there anything else I need to do before turning it on, other than filling the filter with water to prime it?

2) Which way is the flap supposed to go for backwashing? When should both holes remain uncovered? For vacuuming, should the back hole (main drain) be covered?
We never had to mess with the sliding flap in the skimmers before. However the company who opened it would set it was just what we used.

Last edited:
Hello Dizzy! :wave: It sounds like the "flap" in the skimmers you are referring to is the diverter valve/flap. It's designed to adjust suction flow from either (or both) of the holes in the bottom of the skimmer(s). Sometimes both holes are actually plumbed (one to a main drain, the other to the pump), sometimes one is plugged an never used - either at construction of post from a leak. So my suggestion first is to adjust the diverter flap in such a way you don't lose any water. If you think it's from the drain, close it. You don't "have" to have an operational drain anyways. It would be ideal to at least get water flowing through the poolside skimmers so you can circulate and test the water. You can always fiddle with the diverter(s) later to see if there is truly a leak at the drain or not. Definitely fill the pool up to the 1/2-3/4 level of the skimmer openings and watch everything closely. Hopefully you have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit in-hand. If not, that really needs to be a priority because most winterized pools need to have a SLAM Process performed to clear any residual algae. So let us know how it goes and if you have more questions.

Thanks for the reply :)

I tried turning the system on, leaving the diverter/flap alone, and no water was coming out if the jets in the pool. However, the system sounded normal. I noticed some water was leaking from the sand filter at the bottom. Using my smartphone's selfie camera as a mirror, i noticed theres an opening that needs a plug, but the company did not leave us the plugs. Not sure if its insurance for them to make sure we call them back to open.

If I move the diverter flap from it's current position, water will drain.

- - - Updated - - -

20180526_182810.jpg

20180526_142139.jpg
(Sorry for the grass)

i noticed there's an opening that needs a plug, but the company did not leave us the plugs.
That looks like your filter drain plug opening. At winter, they generally collect all of those items and put them somewhere safe. In your case, so safe you can't find them. :) Did you look in the filter perhaps? I doubt they would take them, but at this time of the evening on a holiday weekend you probably have no way to contact them to ask. They should know though.

Once you plug the filter and adjust the pool's water level, I'd leave the diverter alone in the skimmer so that no water leaks and just function-check the system. Make sure everything is operating okay so you can begin cleaning the pool. Once the pool can run continuously and you SLAM Process it to remove algae, then you can experiment with the diverter some more and pursue any potential leaks. Even a pool leak company would need the water clean & clear before they look - if it came down to that.

I went to our local pool store and bought the plug. Fit perfectly.
We set the pump to filter and turned it on, there still is nothing being filtered into the pump, nor is there water coming from the jets/returns. The water I put in the pump to prime it has no activity, but when i turn it off it bubbles a bit. It does sound dry.
I'm at a loss of what I'm missing in this process.
20180527_153618.jpg

When I look at your pump, there are those 3 valves in front. They allow water "in" to the pump. Only one is open (right side), the other two perpendicular are closed. So you might want to try opening those. Next, make sure the water level in the pool is high enough. About 1/2 to 3/4 up the skimmer mouth opening. There should be no plug or "gizmo" in the skimmer hole at the bottom. Finally, before turning on the pump, open the pump basket (clear) lid. Fill it full of water then put the lid back on. Also make sure your filter multiport valve is set to filter. Then turn-on the pump and see what happens.

I opened the other 2 and filled the water in the filter pump basket. It doesn't go any higher than about 1/2, not matter how much water I put in.
The result is the same as before.

There is nothing in the skimmers and the pool's water level is 1/2 of the skimmer

I should add, the meter on the sand filter isnt moving either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I opened the other 2 and filled the water in the filter pump basket. It doesn't go any higher than about 1/2, not matter how much water I put in.
So are you saying if you stand over it with a garden hose, the water is just disappearing? Maybe flowing backwards back to the pool, or can you tell?

Don't worry about that plug. We don't need it at the moment. :)

This is the only plug I haven't removed. I'm not sure what it would need to be replaced with.

View attachment 78694

That is just a drain cleanout plug. It should not be removed.

- - - Updated - - -

Try your multiport valave on RECIRCULATE to eliminate the filter.

A few other things to check:
- We need to know the pump/motor is even working. With power OFF, can you put you hand into the pump basket and with your finger tips or a small screwdriver touch the impeller where the water goes in? It will feel like a small fan of sorts. It should spin relatively easily. If so, remove your hand and let's try this...
- Fill the pump basket with water again, but this time watch closely under the lid. Does the water just sit or does it get pulled towards the filter? Can you tell?
- Lastly, if none of those seem to have any impact, place the MPV on "Recirculate" basically bypassing the filter and see if water flows that way.

Confirm the pump motor is running???

The connection between the pump motor and the pump impeller could be sheared or the impeller could be broken. You know how to get into the pump?

I can't tell where it's going. It will fill to the top but will regulate itself down to the same level (1/2), it's always been that way so it just seemed normal. I assumed the water was going into the opening of the 3 valves in front of it

In previous tests your pump was able to suck water from the skimmers and push it as far as the fliter where it flowed out of the missing drain plug. Now that you plugged that the water has to flow further through the heater and out the returns.

Assuming the pump is working properly it says you have a blockage, plug, or closed valve upstream from your filter. The pump cant push water through and you get no flow. You need to look at it section by section and disassemble and try and flow water through different sections after your filter.

A few other things to check:
- We need to know the pump/motor is even working. With power OFF, can you put you hand into the pump basket and with your finger tips or a small screwdriver touch the impeller where the water goes in? It will feel like a small fan of sorts. It should spin relatively easily. If so, remove your hand and let's try this...
- Fill the pump basket with water again, but this time watch closely under the lid. Does the water just sit or does it get pulled towards the filter? Can you tell?
- Lastly, if none of those seem to have any impact, place the MPV on "Recirculate" basically bypassing the filter and see if water flows that way.

The fan spins if I push the blades. I can't see inside it clearly, but the water is moving to some degree

I set it to Recirculate and turned it on for about 30 seconds. One jet did a few bubbles out of it and then stopped.
When I turned it off, water in the filter basket went up to the lid.

I noticed the water in the pool moving after filled the filter basket with water before I started it on Recirculate.

I set it to Recirculate and turned it on for about 30 seconds. One jet did a few bubbles out of it and then stopped.
When I turned it off, water in the filter basket went up to the lid.

I noticed the water in the pool moving after filled the filter basket with water before I started it on Recirculate.
So basically the system moves water fine on recirculate correct? You can leave it on that way if you had to for a little while? You see all the return jets moving water in the pool? The pump basket stays full as well?

So basically the system moves water fine on recirculate correct? You can leave it on that way if you had to for a little while? You see all the return jets moving water in the pool? The pump basket stays full as well?

Only one return jet bubbled and then stopped. None of the other 2 return jets did anything. I went out to turn it on again to watch the basket to be sure it stays full with water when on, the water in it is dark and has some grass/worms: presumably from the pool as it has algae and that in it currently.

(I removed the basket)
20180527_171817.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.