Good Chemical Levels but Sediment still in Salt Water Pool

simo711

Bronze Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Macon, GA
Hey ya'll, this is a new one for me. I left my pool open all winter and it was crystal clear. I ran my robot every 3 days except for when the temperature was below 60. I also ran my skimmer (SkimDevil) daily. On top of this, I ran my pool pump for 6 hours a day on around 2200 RPM.

I left for a weeklong trip and returned on the 23rd to a cloudy pool. I live in GA and have had at least 1 inch of rain a day...more to come. I am running my pool pump at 3200 RPM for 8 hours a day and I am running the robot after the pump stops around 8pm. I cannot for the life of me get my pool to clear up and every morning when I brush before the pump starts, sediment or a cloud of brown appears and then disappears into the water.

I added diatomaceous earth to the filter yesterday and that was my 'test' to see if the brown cloud was algae...it was supposed to kill it from what I read and it didn't since it was there again this morning.

Any suggestions?

My chemical levels are:

Salt - 3000
FC - 4.5
CC - 0.5
TC - 5
PH - 7.8
CYA - 50
TA - 80
CH - 75

Thanks for any pointers or suggestions!

I am having about 1 inch of rain fall a day from the tropical storm. Should I wait to do anything until it stops raining? I do not want to waste too much money or product if I can help it.

Thanks.

Raise the FC up to around 10ppm and perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

It is possible that you are seeing a low level algae bloom settling on the bottom ... or could be pollen.

In any case, with cloudy water, you likely need to follow the SLAM Process process.

After the above, consider raising the CYA higher for your SWG.

I added diatomaceous earth to the filter yesterday and that was my 'test' to see if the brown cloud was algae...it was supposed to kill it from what I read and it didn't since it was there again this morning.

I think there is some confusion here... Adding DE to a sand filter will help filter out dead algae, but it won't kill it..

I agree with Jason, do an OCLT and see where to go from there..

Thanks,

Jim R.

It is recommended to run the pump 24/7 during a SLAM if you can.

Pump speed can be low. With your VS pump I would suspect 1200 rpm is probably sufficient.

Take care.

You should backflush when your filter pressure rises 25% above clean pressure, at the same rpm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The difference in your reading is well within the recognized precision of the test. I'd take that to be a good sign. If your not sure, you can always give it another go tonight.

Did you give it a good half hour of mixing, after your FC addition, before you took the night reading?

I did give it 30 minutes. As you said, I would like to take it again....just keep thinking all this rain has caused the sediment or dust cloud. Nothing feels slimy and we had another 2 inches of rain in 45 minutes here at my home. Crazy weather this year.

Ae there any hard or fast rules on filtering? I have been running the pump for 8 hours a day at 2200 for 3 hours and 3000 for 5 hours. I also run my robot each morning. Will it just take a while to clear up because of the constant rain?

I would not think you need to run your pump at those high speeds. If you currently have sediment in your pool you would be better off to run the pump 24/7 until clear but at a low rate. Does the robot pick up the sediment?

Thanks for the tip on the speed. I assumed the higher speed would mean more water turning and more sediment going into the filter.

The robot does pick up the sediment but it also pushes it around when it tries to turn around or go up a wall. I tried vacuuming the other day but I wasn't sure it was actually doing any good...so I went back to running the robot once a day.

If the robot picks up some but also stirs it up, you might want to run it more so the sediment stays suspended and can be pulled into your main drain/skimmer, whichever is taking the flow.

If you are not fighting leaves I would suggest pulling more from your main drain. It will have a better chance of getting the sediment that is mixed up in the water.

Hey all...my pool is cloudy once more. I've had 5 inches of rain over the past week. Not sure if it's sediment that just can't get stuck in my sand filter or what not. So...I'm going to prepare for the OCLT test. Here are my current chemical results after adding chlorine last night to bring up the FC level for the OCLT:

Salt - 3100
FC - 12
CC - 0.5
TC - 12.5
PH - 7.6
CYA - 50
TA - 90
CH - 50

I'm running the pump 24 hours at 1400rpm. I have my SWG set at 45% as well.

Does anyone see any issues or concerns about what I'm running/my levels? My POP (pool owner patience) is wearing on me...I want to swim!!

Thanks everyone!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.