Concerns about an old Intex SWG

May 26, 2018
Merino
Hello all, I am a first time pool owner. We have an above ground Intex 18x48 that came with a pump filter but I also have a used Intex CS8111 SWG ( along with all the hoses and other parts) that was left from when my in-laws had a pool many years ago. The pump itself and the hoses have been stored un-covered in the garage since then. The o-rings are all shot so they will need replaced and the pump will need a good cleaning in a general way but are there other things I should be concerned about? Is the pump no good at this point?

Also, if I initially set up the pool with the factory pool pump can I easily change it over to the SWG once I get it refurbished later on?

Thanks!

Hello all, I am a first time pool owner. We have an above ground Intex 18x48 that came with a pump filter but I also have a used Intex CS8111 SWG ( along with all the hoses and other parts) that was left from when my in-laws had a pool many years ago. The pump itself and the hoses have been stored un-covered in the garage since then. The o-rings are all shot so they will need replaced and the pump will need a good cleaning in a general way but are there other things I should be concerned about? Is the pump no good at this point?

Also, if I initially set up the pool with the factory pool pump can I easily change it over to the SWG once I get it refurbished later on?

Thanks!

As long as the pump still runs, it should be fine. Or go ahead and use that SWG if you would like to convert to saltwater now. I actually recommend the stand-alone SWG over the pump/filter/SWG combo units because if the pump in the combo unit fails, you end up having to purchase a new SWG as well. But use what you have as long as it works and if it quits, get a stand-alone SWG and add it to the other pump and filter setup.

If the flexible hoses seem brittle, it might be worth replacing them as well. You can usually buy replacement ones anywhere that you can buy Intex pools. I've had one of those hoses split before, and if the pump is running it will pump all of your water out onto the ground and then run your pump dry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.