Opening Pool

Sep 3, 2016
Appleton,WI
I am new to this community (TFP community), so I have followed my pool supplier's recommendations about opening/closing my pool in the past. Now I want to try to operate my pool the TFP way. BUT, I should have had a test kit on hand to open my pool and get it balanced right away and I didn't - shame on me!.
anyway, I have ordered a kit - the [FONT=&quot]Taylor K-2006C - but it won't be delivered for another week. I have already filled the pool with water and vacuumed it. I bought 4 gallons of 8.25% bleach and have muriatic acid , baking soda and Borax on hand. My question is - should I just cover the pool with my solar cover and let the water warm up until I get the kit - then proceed to add the bleach, etc per testing? Do I run the filter for the week? I have a 24' round pool with a Nature 2 filtration system and live in Wisconsin.[/FONT]

Hi, welcome to TFP! Remove the cartridge from the Nature 2 system if you can. It adds copper to the pool which will cause staining of surfaces and light colored hair. If you used Nature 2 last year go ahead and have the water tested for copper. Depending on the results you may need to do a complete drain/refill to get rid of the copper.

If there is no copper go ahead and add a jug of bleach to the pool every other day until the test kit arrives. You can use the solar cover too, but it you don't keep the water chlorinated it will grow algae fairly quickly as the water warms. Run the pump a couple of hours a day until the test kit arrives.

Most test kits don't test for copper, so you will need to take a sample to the pool store and ask them to test for copper. You can buy separate copper kits but unless you plan to continue to use copper its not worth the expense.

I would drain the water to get rid of the metals. You can keep the water if draining is a problem, but you would need regular doses of sequestrant to keep the metals in suspension so they don't cause staining issues. Easier to drain and refill if possible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.