Repeated premature pump fail

scratchedup

Gold Supporter
Apr 2, 2013
Fayetteville, GA
My first pump motor lasted 12 + years. (AO Smith 1HP) The pump is a Pentair Challanger needing ~ 1.25HP.

I just replaced my motor for the 4th time.
Seems they only last 2 years... replaced in 2014, 2016 now 2018.

The last 3 have been 2 speed and I control it with my SWG control panel.
This time I did it all my self being super careful ...elec. disconnect...dis-assemble...O-rings / seals replace...re-assemble.

I live in Georgia and the equipment in uncovered...may be a factor... Looks like the shaft seal is compomised.

The new pump was north of $300 with a seal kit.
Just seems silly that these could all be such junk! Maybe if I replace the shaft seal every year?

Are u replacing just the electrical motor or motor, pump and strainer assembly? If you are just replacing motor and you are burning up seals i would say something is out of alignment or out of balance.

Lots of things can go wrong with installing mechanical seals. It could also be your pump housing around the seal has suffered damage at some point.

With residential pool pumps there is really no way to get it misaligned because it's all on the same shaft and the pump body bolts to the motor. Unless the impeller is really damaged theres nothing to be worried about with balancing.

What is going wrong each time with all these replacements.

Got any pics?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.