Do I need to worry about Saturation index or CH with a pool that has Aquabrite?

Oct 13, 2014
DFW Texas
Hey everyone... I took some readings.

CH 90
total Alkalinity 80
PH 7.5
CYA 50
Temp 83

When I use the whiz wheel in my kit, it shows me at a -5 saturation index.

I'm trying to decide what to adjust... I am going to bump up my PH a little to 7.7 - 7.8... my ch is low according to the book, but My pool is AquaBrite. is there any point in raising it since AB is basically impervious plastic? at 90 I shouldnt be too worried about corrosion to my heater.

What do you think?

Short answer, no. Poolmath shows -.52 CSI. That's above -.6 so you're okay, there.

Long answer: you might get some foaming which is annoying. Raising the Calcium will stop that and get the CSI closer to zero. You could even chlorinate with Cal-hypo for a while. One pail versus how many jugs?

At the Bottom of Poolmath, Effects of Adding Chemicals will tell you how much each ounce of chemical will add to your pool. (As long as you entered the volume right) So you can see how much Cal-hypo would be safe to add without driving CH too high. If you're interested.

I assume you have tile and grout at the water line, no? If you have cementitious surfaces around, I would raise the CH enough so that your normal TA and pH ranges keep you above -0.3. That should be more than sufficient to protect them and it won’t take much of rise in CH to get there. Use some cal-hypo for a while and save yourself from lugging bleach bottles around.

-5, or -.5?

ohh yea.. haha sorry... - .5

And FYI I updated my signature. I have a SWG now.

- - - Updated - - -

I assume you have tile and grout at the water line, no? If you have cementitious surfaces around, I would raise the CH enough so that your normal TA and pH ranges keep you above -0.3. That should be more than sufficient to protect them and it won’t take much of rise in CH to get there. Use some cal-hypo for a while and save yourself from lugging bleach bottles around.

correct. Ok, I will see about raising it some then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.