IC40 SWCG Powered on all the time

May 20, 2018
Fort Worth, TX
My salt water generator is on all the time, even if the pump is not on, the cell is not powered (green light off), is this what you mean by cell being powered or are you talking about the SWG itself?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Issue with my Intellichlor IC40

I am curious on what you mean if the cell is powered it may explode. My salt water generator is on all the time, even if the pump is not on, the cell is not powered (green light off), is this what you mean by cell being powered or are you talking about the SWG itself?

The SWCG must have the power turned off when the pump is not running. So if you do not have automation, you need a timer for your SWCG. As your Intelliflo has an internal timer, you cannot use that.

The SWCG has a flow switch that is a Secondary Safety Device. Do not rely on it. If it fails and the SWCG powers on without flow, it can explode.

Take care.

The SWCG must have the power turned off when the pump is not running. So if you do not have automation, you need a timer for your SWCG. As your Intelliflo has an internal timer, you cannot use that.

The SWCG has a flow switch that is a Secondary Safety Device. Do not rely on it. If it fails and the SWCG powers on without flow, it can explode.

Take care.

Should my pool builder have known this? I am reading the user manula and the wiring diagram does show the SWG and pump wired to a relay but since I did not opt for the automation and the pump has its own timer, it would negate having the relay. Im gonna look at my power board tonight when i get home, I have a timer for my pump (I am not sure why because my pump has an internal timer) and pool cleaner, I will see if i can use that. And contact my builder who should know better.

Your pump should not be wired through a timer. The Intelliflo is to be direct wired from a breaker dedicated to it. The pump itself has programmable schedules with variable pump speeds.

Good luck.

Mac,

I suggest you get it fixed.... but, just because it can explode, does not mean it will explode... There just has to be the right set of circumstances...

Kind of like driving your car with the air bags turned off... you could drive for years without any issues, but then one day some idiot runs a red light and ... well, you get the picture... :cool:

Some pool builders believe that the flow switch is good enough.. But, technically it is not...

When the pump is off the cell's power supply, or control box, should have the AC powered removed...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I just read a nice big warning in the user manual about chlorine gas buildup and that the SGC should never be energized when the pool pump is OFF and water is not flowing through unit. I am glad I read this post (along with others), like you said better to be safe than sorry. Thanks.

SO I checked out my installation and the pump, SWCG, and my UV light are wired to our timer clock, which has those pins you screw on for turning it off and on. We do not use that, because as previously stated, the pump needs continuous power (I also read that in the manual). I noticed this morning when checking FC that the UV light was on, which the user manual states, should only be on when the pump is on (flow). SMH. My builder is aware. I do not think the SWCG and UV light are wired wrong, I believe the pump should not be on the same circuit as the other equipment as it needs power all the time and it has it's on timer and clock.

You are correct the SWCG should be wired through the timer so you can set it to be powered down when the pump is off.

You should just disconnect the UV device. It consumes FC without providing any benefit to an outdoor pool.

Take care.

You have a clash of old technology with new technology. Dumb devices with smart devices. That is what the automation systems try and integrate. Some builders look to just make it work and move on and not make it right.

You can use a cleanup moving the smart pump to a dedicated circuit. Then the dumb IC40 and UV (if you keep it) left on the mechanical timer. Then you need to ensure all timers are aligned between devices.

Or you can invest in an automation system that does it for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The smart thing to do is get an automation system installed to make everything work together, I will look into that and see what the best one at the best price is. I am sure it will have to be a pentair. In the mean time he will need to at least put the pump on a separate circuit.

I wasn't sold on the UV light when he was mentioning it in our meetings. I did say to him the sun does the same thing, so he said he would install it for free (we all know what that means) and he also convinced my better half too.

If the circuit is of sufficient amperage to power all three devices, a new circuit isn't necessarily needed.

You can make this functional by:
1 - moving the pump wiring from the load side to the line side of the timer (leave SWG/UV wiring alone)
2 - setting timer clock and placing on/off cogs on clock wheel
3 - set cogs to turn on about 15-30 minutes after pump starts and off 15-30 minutes before pump stops. This ensures pump is always on prior to power going to SWG/UV.

I think there is a picture around the site somewhere depicting this - but I can't locate it right now.

Monitor timer clock for correct time at least weekly - or any time power is lost - to be sure it is synced with the pump time.

This should be done ASAP - while you research and decide whether to automate or not.

I'm guessing your timer for the cleaner booster pump is already set to run within the main pool pump run times.

100% agree with Marty - the UV isn't providing any benefit in your outdoor pool. Disconnect it and save yourself some electricity and FC.

That is correct. Shut power off that breaker first.

If you are in doubt, post a pic of the timer showing the wiring and we can confirm for you.

I had the same problem. Pump and SWCG were both hooked up to the load(timer) portion of my Intermatic timer and the pins were removed. Caused all kinds of problems with my SWCG, moved pump to the line side and replaced the pins on the timer and all is working perfectly.

Cool - just double check his work amd be sure the SWG timer clock ON/OFF operates within the times the variable speed pump is ON.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.