Newbie to TFP & pool opening

May 22, 2018
Sykesville, MD
We moved into our home last summer and the pool (about 15 years old) was already open and balanced. Toward the end of the summer our CYA levels were getting high... I can't remember exactly but I want to say over 140 which was concerning me.

This year we paid to have the pool opened last Tuesday since it was our first time. The pool guys opened and treated the pool initially (I think they used liquid chlorine and some sort of algicide).

The pool cleared up in about 4 days. It was slightly cloudy, but we backwashed and vacuumed and it was looking fairly good. We discovered TFP and decided to give it a try. I haven't been faithfully writing down all our testing results, but I started keeping record. I'll share what I have.

Sunday we got a CC level reading of .6, so we decided to SLAM. We figured maybe we had something in the water still brewing since we had just opened. We used the pool math calculator and added the recommended liquid bleach for FC to reach 20. I didn't realize we needed to hold the pool at shock level, so I'm not sure how long it was at 20. Monday afternoon the FC was 12.6 and CC was <.5. Unsure what to do, we tried to raise the FC back to 20. We added the recommended bleach from PoolMath but Monday evening the FC was only at 13.5.

This morning our results were:
FC 10.8
CC .4
PH 7.3
TA 200
CYA 59 (tested a few days ago at the pool store... I got CYA level of 50 on my reading at home)

We aren't really sure if we are on the right track. I feel like the FC isn't rising as high as it should when we tried to SLAM and our TA seems too high. Overall the water looks great.. clean and clear. Side note: we'd have a TON of rain in Maryland recently. Not sure how that affects things.

We are testing with the Taylor K-2006c. I'm not sure how to proceed. Thanks for the help ?

Hey K&V! :wave: Welcome to the forum. Since you have a 2006C test kit, that's all we need. We avoid saying that other word out loud (pool store ... hush.....). So you are in SLAM mode - or should be right? All you need to be concerned with right now is pH (already lowered and good), CYA (confirmed at 50) and now your FC - should be "20" as the proper SLAM level for your pool based on that CYA. Forget about everything else right now, it has no bearing on the algae. Increase the FC to 20 with regular bleach (no additives like scents, splashless, or polymers) - just plain bleach. Maintain it as best as you can. No need to test anything else until the SLAM is over. You must pass all 3 SLAM criteria on the SLAM Process page. Stick with it and let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the help!! I'll avoid that other word ;)

So.. now I'm more confused.
I calculated on PoolMath how much bleach I needed to get back to 20. Around 2:30pm I added 4.5 gallons of 10% bleach (based on my test results from this morning). I just went out to test my water to see if I reached 20.

My new test results are:
FC 10.6
CC 1.4

It seems like I'm going in the wrong direction. PoolMath says I'd need to add another 3 more gallons to reach FC at 20 since my levels of FC are now 10.6. I'm confused because the water looks perfect but I can't seem to get the chlorine level up. At this rate I feel like I need to add 4 gallons (10%) every few hours?

Does this sound normal?

Sounds like the chlorine is killing algae. Your high CC indicate the chlorine is oxidizing organics.

If you can test / dose every 2-3 hours for awhile, it will go faster.

Take care.

Stick with it, you're doing fine. You see that CC of 1.4. That tells you that something is eating that FC besides the sun. Try testing sooner after your redosed your pool back to 20. Every couple of hours is better. That FC needs to stay near SLAM level to kill off everything in the water. By letting it drop to 10, you're kind of in a neutral situation. You need to stay ahead of the game to neutralize whatever is in the water. As you get closer to being done, your FC will start holding a greater percentage and for longer periods of time.

Something’s wonky. With your numbers this morning and CYA of 50, I calculated that you would have needed 3 gallons of 10% to hit 20 FC.

BUT, is it possible your FC was no longer 10.8 when you added your chlorine? What time this morning did you test?

My husband actually tested at 5:45am
FC 12
CC .5 (.5 ppm test)

I tested at 8:45am
FC 10.8
CC .4 (I did the .2ppm test so I think that's why the difference between 5:45 & 8:45)

I pondered what to do but after my post from earlier, I decided to try to to continue to SLAM. I added the 4.5 gallons at 2:30pm (but I didn't retest because I was in a hurry and assumed it hadn't charged too much. That may be where I went wrong?).

I retested at 4:30 thinking the level should be at 20
FC 10.6
CC 1.4

I just added 3 more gallons of 10% bleach (which is what I need according to PoolMath. I'm out of bleach so I'm running to Walmart now. The "Liquid Pool Chlorine" from Walmart has been the best price I can find in my area.

How long after I add the bleach should the FC level increase? I'm assuming it needs 30 mins or so to circulate?

30 minutes or so of circulation is all that is needed.

Again -- If you can test / dose every 2-3 hours for awhile, it will go faster.

Ok. I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

5:45am
FC 12
CC .5 (.5 ppm test)

8:45am
FC 10.8
CC .4

4:30pm
FC 10.6
CC 1.4

ADDED 4x128oz 10% chlorine @ 5:15pm
5:45pm
FC 12
CC 2.5

ADDED 8x64oz 8.25% chlorine @7:15pm
7:45pm
FC 10.5
CC 2.5

ADDED 8x64oz 8.25% chlorine @7:55pm
8:20pm
FC 4.5
CC 3

I cannot get the chlorine level higher. I'm following the PoolMath dosing but even 30 minutes after adding the bleach my levels aren't going anywhere near 20. It seems to more bleach I add, the lower my FC and higher my CC. Does this happen?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Newbie to TFP &amp; pool opening

Pump running the whole time, right?

How does the water look? Oops, sorry, you said it looked clear.

- - - Updated - - -

What does 8x64oz mean?

Re: Newbie to TFP &amp; pool opening

I thought so, but wanted to make sure. Your pool is really eating up the chlorine. Are you absolutely positive your CYA is 50?

When the winter cover was taken off and the filter was set up (after having an acid wash during the winter) last Tuesday (May 15), the pool guy did put chlorine pucks in the skimmer baskets (they dissolved completely in 12 hours). But only liquid chlorine since then.

8:20pm
FC 4.5
CC 3

9:05pm
FC 4.5
CC 2.5

ADDED 12 X 64 oz 8.25% at 9:40pm

10:00pm
FC 10.5
CC 1

ADDED 4 x 64oz 8.25% at 10:20pm (and now both us and our local Aldi are all out of bleach...)

12:40am
FC 9
CC 2.5

Call your 'pool guy' and ask them what they added. This is suspiciously like an ammonia based algaecide was used. You have high chlorine use and high CC. And clear water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.