First time opening pool - a bit confused

May 16, 2017
Taylorsville, Ky
We bought our house last year and the pool was practically open and I was able to maintain it with TFPC method. I don't think I closed it correctly last fall but I can't go back. We took the cover off this morning to this.. Everything is settled to the bottom and I'm not sure what we should do first because I don't want to stir it all up if I don't have to. I have tested the water using the TF-100 and I'll list the numbers at the end. I'm not sure if we need to brush it, vacuum it, hook up the pump, pour bleach... I'm unsure of the order of things and am hoping I can get some guidance. I know that since my CYA is at 0 that I'll need to get that bumped up before SLAM-ing.

Thank you!

Water test:

FC- 0.5

pH- 7.3

TA- 60

CYA- 0
8f6d0614b83ae4c8eb1b8526d9d03a9f.jpg
94093b8f69a1e9a2266666857c85f049.jpg

I would pull out any solid debris, then vacuum to waste moving very slowly so as to not scatter the schmutz. After that re-fill to proper levels and run a set of tests and treat as necessary.

You could start the CYA in the sock right before you add liquid chlorine

I can't tell if you'll need to SLAM or not, but once you get the floor cleaned up, post another pic if you can.

Maddie :flower:

Thank you for the reply. I was hoping to hear that. I didn't want to stir it up too much and cause it to become a SWAMP. I think I will have to SLAM it as my water has a slight green hue to it but I'm hoping I won't have to do it as long and maybe have it open for the weekend... However, that might be wishful thinking.

We once had a guy do a complete SLAM before the military shipped him overseas. It took him like 2 days, but he also set his alarm and treated the pool every hour or two around the clock. He did it!

So don't assume it can't be done... today is Monday. :mrgreen:

Well... Nobody said pool ownership was easy haha. I guess we'll just have to make the neighbors think we're crazy haha. Thank you for the hope! I have liquid CYA. Can I use that instead of the powder/sock method? How long after should I add the chlorine? We're in the process of vacuuming it out but it's a big one. I will post pics when we're done wacuuming.

Yes, absolutely you can use the liquid. I've done so myself at times, even though its a bit more costly. Just make sure you shake that jug up *really* *REALLY* good, it gets very thick down at the bottom and you don't want to miss that stuff.

Have you discovered PoolMath yet? That is the app (found above) that will tell you how much of each chemical to add based on what you have in the water "now" and what you want for your "target". Don't forget to input your pool's volume at the top, and finish and details at the bottom to have it work best.

Ok so we finished vacuuming the pool late last night. I think it actually looks a lot better. We're also waiting on a Dolphin e10 to get here tomorrow. I'm hoping that helps the clean up too. Do I need to SLAM it for a couple of days?
1bc7837d52bba4e6830dd387f5f2d549.jpg
fbb79964b5b2485cfc9ea213cb15163a.jpg
2c360c574d7ee27ecc4cd1d8352d6e5e.jpg
1c100588d15f84b47fa68f47b13efb01.jpg
Before we go any further, now that your filter and pump are running please post a complete set of test results including:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

You said you know that CYA is zero, how do you know that? Was there CYA at closing? If yes, what was the CYA level at closing?

Please don't add the CYA yet.

Also, what test kit are you using?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would SLAM the pool and give the walls and floor a thorough brushing. You have algae. It will cloud the pool. Let it settle for 24 hours and then manually, slowly vacuum the pool.

Before we go any further, now that your filter and pump are running please post a complete set of test results including:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

You said you know that CYA is zero, how do you know that? Was there CYA at closing? If yes, what was the CYA level at closing?

Please don't add the CYA yet.

Also, what test kit are you using?
I'm having some issues with my filter shooting sand into the pool when I went to start it I'm waiting for my husband to get home to help me deal with that issue. Previous owners had it hooked up backwards (outlet to pump/inlet to pool). We switched the connections around and bam sand in the pool. I'm using a TF-100 test kit but any current readings might not be valid due to my filter situation. I don't have the readings from the pool closing so am not sure if there was any CYA at the time. You live and you learn. I have tested it twice however and got 0 both times, I can still see the black dot clearly.
24dd378f9d61b2883eb261a6903ceb37.jpg

Do I need to bring my TA up?

You need to bring your FC up. Don’t add any CYA yet. Add enough bleach to bring the FC to 10ppm. Vigorously brush the pool over 15-20 min (you don’t have to brush for 20 min straight, but spend 20 mins brushing) then check FC and tell us what you get.

If the FC is over 5ppm, you can add 30ppm of CYA and begin a SLAM once your pump is running.

If FC is less than 5ppm, we will have to address this differently.

You are not SLAMming yet. Did you use Pool Math to add 10ppm of FC, then test in 15-20 min to get that 5ppm?

As long as the pool is holding FC, it’s safe to raise CYA to 30ppm and SLAM.

SLAM Process
Since it was holding FC, I brought the CYA up to 30 and kept the FC within SLAM range as much as I could while also having to work. I tested this morning and when I got home in the afternoon it had gone from 12 to 7. I added bleach to bring it back up to 12 (I actually think the app was set to target 10-oops) and am now testing every 2 hours in hopes of getting it cleared up since the water is slightly cloudy. I'm not sure if I should keep SLAMming or address it another way. Thank you for any and all help.

FC - 9
pH-7.5
TA- 110
CH- 75
CYA - 30
dc475b045ccd6f1149fb39534f000fb1.jpg
fe6f209c855bd9950f137ae3aa18a98e.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.