New to TFP

Haven’t SLAM yet...just adding bleach until FC holds at 5 . Just trying to get rid of ammonia. Hopefully I can SLAM soon. My understanding is once I get the correct reagents continue to make sure I have gotten rid of ammonia , then can up my CYA , adjust pH ,( looks like it is at 7.2 )and begin SLAM . Do I have that right? Again , all my thanks!

Oops, I jumped the gun there! =) yes you've got it right! Suggestion (using PoolMath) once your FC is 5+ after 30-60min, I would aim for a stabilizer level of CYA/20~30, so as not to overshoot (a goal of 30) and increase the FC requirements :)

You should get through a SLAM Process pretty quick since you have 1 of the 3 criteria met, "clear" water =)

Are you sourcing a FAS-DPD test? That will be needed to properly measure FC & CC during the SLAM.

Yes, waiting to get the FAS-DPD reagents. I am using a goal of 10, and adjust the % bleach. I now have 12.5 % from pool store.Im only testing FC. After 30 minutes seems like the ready is about 2, so I continue with pool math calculation.

I just fran my filter in spa mode ,and I got lots of foam and cloudiness . should I be concerned?

Yes, waiting to get the FAS-DPD reagents. I am using a goal of 10, and adjust the % bleach. I now have 12.5 % from pool store.Im only testing FC. After 30 minutes seems like the ready is about 2, so I continue with pool math calculation.

I just fran my filter in spa mode ,and I got lots of foam and cloudiness . should I be concerned?

Can you run it on recirculate (that bypasses the filter media, but gets the water in the pool moving/mixing)?
No the foam/cloudiness is to be expected, it will clear up once you can start SLAM Process =)

You're doing good!

Getting very discouraged! Been at this for a few days now, have gone through 10 gallons of 12.5 % and 14 gallons of 10% and since I dosed a hour ago, I am getting a reading of 1! This does not include the 4 gallons pool guy opened with. The ammonia strips look like I’m back a 6 ppm.
I need to go out, get more. Bleach , but is there a plan B?
weather is finally turning nice, so was hoping could turn on heater and swim this weekend .

Hang in there!! I know how you feel. I started my SLAM on May 14th and my pool was clear and clean and yet I didn't pass the overnight test until the 21st! So yeah, 7 days later (and it rained the entire time, and I went through a sh*t ton of bleach...lol). And I know some people here have done it for longer. I too was ready to quit several times but stuck with it and trusted the process and these great folks here and it worked! So, keep at it! You'll be on the other end eventually!

Getting very discouraged! Been at this for a few days now, have gone through 10 gallons of 12.5 % and 14 gallons of 10% and since I dosed a hour ago, I am getting a reading of 1! This does not include the 4 gallons pool guy opened with. The ammonia strips look like I’m back a 6 ppm.
I need to go out, get more. Bleach , but is there a plan B?
weather is finally turning nice, so was hoping could turn on heater and swim this weekend .

Have you followed this for the ammonia?
Add sufficient liquid chlorine to your pool to get to FC 10ppm. Circulate for 30 minutes. Check your FC, if 5 or below, add LC to get to FC 10 ppm, circulate 30 minutes, test for FC, etc. Once your FC is above 5 ppm at your test after 30 minutes of circulation, then the ammonia is gone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, this is what I have been doing while I’m waiting for my reagents . I have the Taylor K2005 c kit. I have gone through through probably 25 gal of bleach ( varying %) that I have account for in pool Math. I haven’t gotten above 2 in each 30 minute test. That water does look better though, still an aqua color.

The K2005 only reads FC to 5. If you are way above that, it may be bleaching out the reagent.

I would suggest you do a full stop until you get your FAS-DPD test.

Take care.

646CC143-7A5A-424C-8706-FF00E86AFB29.jpgThank you . I have been following the advice on this site and using the the kit I have, and I will continue to follow the advice and stop testing . The additional reagents were suppose to arrrive today , but they did not.
So when I was feeling discouraged today, I went and got more bleach and a pedicure, and after the last dose , before the I read “stop testing” the pool wasn’t green! The FC reading was at 1!
Hopefully reagents will arrive tomorrow,and I will report. Thank you again for hanging in with me!

To maintain I would suggest adding 5 ppm of FC each day to the pool using liquid chlorine.

When you get your FAS-DPD test post up the results.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.