Lap Pool On The Hill

Our PB said he was going to add autofill and I didn't even know it was an option or existed. So I was worried about autofill getting missed and I made sure I stayed on top of it to make sure it was getting added and it did get added. Hopefully we get plaster and fill up the pool on Tuesday.

Wish I'd stayed on top of them. Good luck on that Tuesday fill. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Don't think so. Looks good for new construction. Also OK if your equipment pad is at the water level of the pool. Our equipment pad, otoh is about 3 feet under
the pool level. I suppose I could install a Tee and a three-foot tall pipe. And disguise it with towel hooks :).

We heated the pool from 6:00AM till about 5:00PM, and got it to 80 degrees. My honey swam her first laps in it!

Seriously, we probably won't do that again until they install the autocover. Hopefully tomorrow. Running a 400K BTU heater for 10 hours...that's gotta be expensive.
My wife said that the gas meter needle was "twirling". And all that expensive heat will surely just evaporate away overnight.

She tried first early afternoon when it got to 75 degrees - she just couldn't do it.

We do have a solar pool heating system, but it really can't do much this time of year, especially without the cover. And the design of the system is such that you
can't have solar and gas working at the same time - it's either one or the other. A real weakness, IMHO.

Hummmmmmmmmm can't use both? We are going to have to look into that. List, draw, share how the two are set up and lets see if anyone can help you over come that flaw.

That first swim was SO worth it though! She got to swim in her pool!!! Mark this one in the baby pool book!

Kim:kim:

If the heater ran continuously for the 10 hours you used ~40 therms. Look on your gas bill for how much you pay per therm.

Here, we pay $0.90 per therm. So it would have cost $36.

No such thing as ‘lock in’ here. You pay what the PUC says the gas company can charge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They installed the autocover yesterday. Just in time for the first rain of the season, today. So far, I am not happy about the performance of the heating system. It works, it heats, but I don't think we're getting more than a degree an hour. The heater throws a *lot* of heat into the air. I'm not sure if we can afford to run it at all.

I'm going to have to calculate how many therms we're actually putting into the water - since therms and BTU's are defined in terms of "energy to raise a volume of water some specific degree", it's just arithmetic.

With the autocover, we lost 5 degrees over night - 78 to 73. That's much better than without - we had gone from 80 down to 72.

Gas here in the Bay Area costs $1.8235 per therm. A therm is about 100K BTUs ( more or less: actually 9976.1 per Google ). That's the "tier 2" rate: I assume
we've already used up all the level 1 gas before even starting.

So - run the heater - about 4 therms per hour, or $7.30. 7 hours a day, avg 30.5 days a month: $1557 per month! That's a little rich for my blood.
I begin to understand why people shut these things down over the winter.

I have a spreadsheet heat calculator if you would like it. Let me know.

I believe you will have a low NOx heater. Not sure if they are more or less efficient than normal.

- - - Updated - - -

Be sure the pump is running ONLY when the heater is on. Otherwise you will lose quite a bit of heat to the earth.

Hmm,

The plot sickens, as my mom used to say. Given that 1 BTU is the energy to raise 1 pound of water by 1 degree fahrenheit, AND a US gallon weighs 8.34 pounds, AND according to PoolMath my pool contains 21000 gallons - the amount of heat to raise it one degree fahrenheight is 175140 BTUs. We have a 400K BTU heater. Assuming it is 83% efficient ( energy guide sticker ), that gives us a net heat input of 332000 BTU's. Which should give us a temperature rise of 1.895 degrees per hour.

Remember you have losses. The spreadsheet I use has a default of 50% loss. Yours should be less based on covered pool and reasonable ambient and earth temperatures. But I would still use at least 20% loss.

OK,
With 20% loss, we should still do about 1.5 degrees per hour.

When the sun comes out, we should be in fat city, because the autocover effectively doubles the area of our solar field. Because the sun shines on it.

- - - Updated - - -

It's at 79 now, and my honey is out there swimming laps.

I doubt the auto cover will transmit much heat to the pool water. Depending on air temperature it might be better to have the cover open when the sun shines on the pool. You will want to do that some each week anyway to burn off CC.

According to the Aquamatic FAQ:
[h=3]WILL THE AUTOMATIC SWIMMING POOL COVER HELP TO HEAT THE POOL?[/h] The pool cover turns your pool into a large passive solar collector that will raise the water temperature 6 to 10 degrees on the average.

- - - Updated - - -

The cover actually lays directly on the water. There is no air space between the cover and the water. This lets it absorb heat energy from the sun. However, it does degrade the insulation that the cover supplies at night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.