Is the CC burning up this fast?

brasilmom

Jul 23, 2011
Brookfield, WI
Hello everyone,

I just opened my pool 2 weeks ago. The water was not that bad and I removed all organic matter (leaves, worms) before starting with any treatment. I vacuum it all before getting the filter going and also scrubbed all the sides and floor. I added 6 gallons initially, let it run for several days vacuum again, added 7 gallons after a week. Then on day 2 after the 7 gallons, I took a reading and the chlorine is at 0. I use the TTF kit and even thought that perhaps the powder could have gone bad, but I do not know if that actually happens. I did not take a full measure. Yesterday I started adding stabilizer and plan on adding more before I add more chlorine. What are your thoughts on that? Could the powder be bad? I had it for 3 years or so..

On a separate note, since I have had leaks before, I feel a bit traumatized, and I think I am loosing water too fast. We had a lot of rain last week and the pool was really full. Since then I can say I lost a good 6 inches or so. Normal? Too much? Some windy days, some nice sunny days too.

Thank you everyone.

So you were blindly adding 6 and then 7 gallons? Was that based on using PoolMath to achieve a target?

Ideally you want to run a full set of tests before adding any chemicals because it could reveal issues ... like ...
your CYA all disappearing which could point to an ammonia problem that should be fixed prior to adding more CYA.

Post up test results.

Thank you and I apologize for the delay. Life gets on the way sometimes. Here are the numbers for this morning reading:
FC = 0
CC = 0
PH = 8.2
TA = 150
CH = 210
CYA = >20

I am not sure if I need to lower the TA before adding more stabilizer. Of course the water is not holding any chlorine whatsoever. The water is clear. Please help me get the water sanitized and ready for the season. Thanks

I used the poolmath and it asked for 7 gallons to bring to 10ppm. I added and waited 30 minutes. Took the reading and it is 37ppm FC with 0 CC. What should the next step be? I want to add stabilizer, but at this point I am clearly at loss as to what to do.
Thank you

You entered something wrong. You enter your pool in in gallons at the top. FC Now would have been 0 and Target at 10 and fill in the % of bleach. (6, 8.25, 10, 12) Should have only been 2 gallons of 10%.

Anyway let it come down to 10 FC by itself. Keep cleaning and brushing the pool. Test for FC and CC.

If your CYA is somewhere between 20-30 then call it 30. If it is 0 (clear tube) it would be a good idea to try the 15 minute test Jason mentioned in post #4.

Getting pH in the "7s" is important as well. In case your FC is still above 10 the pH test doesn't read right. Wait until FC drops below 10 and adjust pH accordingly.

The Nature2 thing in your signature should be removed. Unless they've changed something, it is not a chlorinator but a "mineral sanitizer" that is adding metal to your pool.

Thank you Mr. Bruce. I was gone for a few days, so I will add chlorine tonight as I am sure none is left considering the heat wave. I will get more stabilizer because it is less than 20. I added more, but did not read yet.

The PH has been high since I opened and I will work on lowering it too. The Nature2 was removed a while ago, I just did not update my signature.

Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.