Help with CYA, pH, FC, and CC

I’m getting so frustrated.

Pump is not able to pull enough water with just the skimmers open I’m surprised I didn’t burn it out. Had to open the main drain to let it fill up properly.

Pressure on the sand filter was just above 25. During backwash it was 10 then filtering again it was right at 20.

Clearly the skimmers aren’t functioning adequately right? But beyond that I’m fighting this bubbly stuff as shown.

Attachments

• ECEDD5E6-BC64-4565-95DA-9F6687C68EC1.jpeg
    ECEDD5E6-BC64-4565-95DA-9F6687C68EC1.jpeg
    501.1 KB · Views: 10
I’m getting so frustrated.

Pump is not able to pull enough water with just the skimmers open I’m surprised I didn’t burn it out. Had to open the main drain to let it fill up properly.

Pressure on the sand filter was just above 25. During backwash it was 10 then filtering again it was right at 20.

Clearly the skimmers aren’t functioning adequately right? But beyond that I’m fighting this bubbly stuff as shown.
Looking at your logs, you aren't testing and adding chlorine very often...are you just not logging tests and chemical additions? Checking FC once a day or every couple days will not clear the pool. From the SLAM process:

Test and adjust chlorine levels as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day. Chlorine additions should be frequent, especially at the beginning. Algae and other organic debris will consume chlorine very rapidly at first. As things progress, you will lose less chlorine each cycle and can add chlorine less frequently.

20 is your baseline pressure. When it rises to 25, backwash again.

Please post a few pictures of your equipment so we can figure out the skimmer flow issue.

Don't fret the bubbles, SLAM will take care of them.

Looking at your logs, you aren't testing and adding chlorine very often...are you just not logging tests and chemical additions? Checking FC once a day or every couple days will not clear the pool. From the SLAM process:

Test and adjust chlorine levels as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day. Chlorine additions should be frequent, especially at the beginning. Algae and other organic debris will consume chlorine very rapidly at first. As things progress, you will lose less chlorine each cycle and can add chlorine less frequently.

20 is your baseline pressure. When it rises to 25, backwash again.

Please post a few pictures of your equipment so we can figure out the skimmer flow issue.

Don't fret the bubbles, SLAM will take care of them.
I misunderstood ending the SLAM process. I passed the overnight chlorine loss test so I thought I was done. Wrong. Water not clear. I've logged and added 2 more gallons this morning. Will do again this evening. Thanks for the support and for explaining things in a productive manner.

Well done !!! You only need to fail one exit criteria (or start criteria). Clear water is usually the first red flag. It may test ok because the algae is either dead or mostly dead, but each brushing may expose new algae (it grows a biofolm to protect itself from harsh environments) so you keep the FC up to not lose any ground in the battle.

Once the water is clear, then you move on to the OCLTs and need .5CCs or less.

Well done !!! You only need to fail one exit criteria (or start criteria). Clear water is usually the first red flag. It may test ok because the algae is either dead or mostly dead, but each brushing may expose new algae (it grows a biofolm to protect itself from harsh environments) so you keep the FC up to not lose any ground in the battle.

Once the water is clear, then you move on to the OCLTs and need .5CCs or less.
Yes I understand now. One issue is we moved and I have to do most of this on my phone and with 2 little kids running around I didn't read thoroughly enough. I'm back on the horse though I'll get there!

Can someone check my log and see if it makes sense? I feel good about what I’ve been doing but not sure the water is crystal clear. I’ve attached a couple photos. The robot is in the shallow and the poles are in the deep. I can see them (while I couldn’t before) but I’m not sure what else to do.8E31A6F6-17A8-4CF3-8479-0749AFB2E07A.jpeg0317BE8E-D4B0-49F2-AEFE-8B8418803AF8.jpeg

Can someone check my log and see if it makes sense? I feel good about what I’ve been doing but not sure the water is crystal clear. I’ve attached a couple photos. The robot is in the shallow and the poles are in the deep. I can see them (while I couldn’t before) but I’m not sure what else to do.
You are making progress, but water is not clear yet.

The best thing you can do is test and replace FC more often. If you can do it every 2-3 hours, it will make it go a lot faster.

Slam on!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think you keep pushing on with SLAM, it appears cloudy to my eye. When the water is super clear have a try at the OCLT. Re-check the SLAM protocol page
I agree it’s cloudy still. Wanted to make sure I’m on the right track but I’m just dumping bleach in everyday and seemed like I should be further along. I will check more often and keep adding….

Reactions: RookiePick
I agree it’s cloudy still. Wanted to make sure I’m on the right track but I’m just dumping bleach in everyday and seemed like I should be further along. I will check more often and keep adding….
How often are you testing and dosing? If 1-2 times per day, then yes, it’ll take a whIle.
Over this holiday weekend, try to test and dose 4-6 times per day and I think you’ll see better results.

As others have mentioned - your water is still pretty far away from being clear. Typical results are green —> cloudy blue —> blue —> clear.

I went on vacation and had my wife add 1 gallon of bleach daily and when I was back the pool was crystal clear. I maintained that and this morning it was cloudy. No FC. This was bc of my laziness I know. Question is how do I get it back? Do I need to slam again or just maintain chlorine?

I went on vacation and had my wife add 1 gallon of bleach daily and when I was back the pool was crystal clear. I maintained that and this morning it was cloudy. No FC. This was bc of my laziness I know. Question is how do I get it back? Do I need to slam again or just maintain chlorine?
Cloudy water indicated algae. Time to SLAM. Make sure all 3 exit criteria are met before calling it completed. If you stop a SLAM too early, even with clear water, but not passing OCLT, you’ll end up back with cloudy water.

How often are you testing the FC? Testing is paramount to success.

Cloudy water indicated algae. Time to SLAM. Make sure all 3 exit criteria are met before calling it completed. If you stop a SLAM too early, even with clear water, but not passing OCLT, you’ll end up back with cloudy water.

How often are you testing the FC? Testing is paramount to success.
Yeah. Poorly once I left for vacation. I’ll get back on the horse.

Reactions: reggiehammond
For FAS-DPD, use the 10 ml sample so each drop is 0.5 FC. Saves time and reagents. I didn't see what test kit you're using. Fill out your signature when you have a minute.
Taylor kit. I use the 10 ml samples 95% of the time. I used the 25 initially bc I wanted to check for smaller amounts of FC when it seemed to be going to zero.

Hello everyone. Didn't want to make a new thread but can someone please take a look at my logs and see what I'm missing? I'm dumping bleach into this thing and checking it twice a day or more and it's making me nuts. I closed it for a week a few weeks ago when we were out of town and I think that was a mistake. But since coming back I can't seem to get it crystal clear again and the sun is just burning up the FC. I added more CYA over the last couple days but I'm not sure I'm on the right track. It's mostly clear but the deep end still seems a bit cloudy and I can't stabilize FC it seems. The sun beats down on the pool most of the day but I'm losing more than I should, I believe.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.