My SLAM w/ Duda Bags & Fiber Clear

That at least identifies where to start looking, pretty sure there shouldn't be bubbles (unless that outlet has an aerator insert) (our aftermarket return has a removable one), not sure what it would look like on the IG

Ok, I have new eyelets that I can install and I bought them with the purpose to do that, however when I looked at them (later in the season last year) I noticed the cracking of whatever it is called there (in my laymans terms, the collar and it looks like an oring of some type). The "collar" is cracked in 2 places and bulging.

How hard or easy is it to replace these. I am not looking to create a nightmare and I think I have posted else where, no one wants me around their plumbing, not even me around my own lol.

Ok, I have new eyelets that I can install and I bought them with the purpose to do that, however when I looked at them (later in the season last year) I noticed the cracking of whatever it is called there (in my laymans terms, the collar and it looks like an oring of some type). The "collar" is cracked in 2 places and bulging.

How hard or easy is it to replace these. I am not looking to create a nightmare and I think I have posted else where, no one wants me around their plumbing, not even me around my own lol.

I am not a pool tech, but the eyelets (the part you can turn) should be threaded in, the COLLAR, could be a very different issue. I wish I could give more specifics, pictures & google is the best I can do atm!
retro-return7.gif

It is likely glued into the system (and should be)

I am not a pool tech, but the eyelets (the part you can turn) should be threaded in, the COLLAR, could be a very different issue. I wish I could give more specifics, pictures & google is the best I can do atm!
retro-return7.gif

It is likely glued into the system (and should be)

Helpful Thank You.

Yes the eyelets thread in. Beyond that and the paygrade jumps LOL

Ok, I have a trusted source I will send him this picture and see what he says, I will report back. I also looked on youtube, found a video where it was diagnosed as a leak but no video of repair. (of course) lol

Will keep looking, not noticing that we lose water but who knows, it is clearly bulging.

We are replacing liner as early as Spring 2019 as late as Spring 2020, so worst case is, it will be dealt with then assuming no issues show up which is why I am apprehensive to try too much right now. For all I know it's holding by a thread (no pun intended).

Will keep looking, not noticing that we lose water but who knows, it is clearly bulging.
We are replacing liner as early as Spring 2019 as late as Spring 2020, so worst case is, it will be dealt with then assuming no issues show up which is why I am apprehensive to try too much right now. For all I know it's holding by a thread (no pun intended).
The size of the bubbles (and the fact it's only in that return?) indicate it's not large leak (yet...) I would leave well enough alone personally (and I AM a micro manager, lol) since you will be addressing larger issues next spring!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUMJdNyQM5o

This video may be helpful. Headed to check my pump basket, will take a pic and post here.

Here are 2 pics of my pump basket.
Pump Basket 2.jpgPump Basket 1.jpg

I turned off pump and then turned it back on, seems pretty clear that somewhere I am getting air in. I removed the lid, checked the o-ring, it seemed fine, I have pool lube, should I put some on that o-ring just to rule that out?

I do recall now that the old pump never did this, the water in the basket view window was always air free, just water with maybe a couple of bubbles at top but not like this.

Thanks Splashpad, that helps a ton.

I won't mess with the union, I hate my plumbing set up... it is pretty hokey in my opinion but oh well.

Re: My SLAM w/ Duda Bags & Fiber Clear

This video may be helpful. Headed to check my pump basket, will take a pic and post here.

Check those areas definitely.. the only thing that gives me pause is you only have air in one return (unless all your duda bags float?)

- - - Updated - - -

Here are 2 pics of my pump basket.
View attachment 77837View attachment 77836

I turned off pump and then turned it back on, seems pretty clear that somewhere I am getting air in. I removed the lid, checked the o-ring, it seemed fine, I have pool lube, should I put some on that o-ring just to rule that out?

I do recall now that the old pump never did this, the water in the basket view window was always air free, just water with maybe a couple of bubbles at top but not like this.

Thanks Splashpad, that helps a ton.

I won't mess with the union, I hate my plumbing set up... it is pretty hokey in my opinion but oh well.

Well it DEFINITELY shouldn't look like that!

Check those areas he suggested

- - Update - -
Yes clean/lube any o-rings you expose

Yes both duda bags float. With no visible air bubbles out of deep end return, I assumed it was more about buoyancy of the duda bags than anything else.
{pic}
Not sure you can see that very clearly.

I haven't tossed mine in the pool for testing, but do they float if not attached? (w/o air inside of course) (try in a easy to reach area, not the deep end, lol)

So yup, gotta find out where the air is getting in. At least you know it's just before the pump.

Your water level looks high enough, but just checking ;)

Are there any (other) system drains, caps, plugs that are easy for you to see/get too that you can check for clean attachment? (per that video)

Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So yup, gotta find out where the air is getting in. At least you know it's just before the pump.

Your water level looks high enough, but just checking ;)

Are there any (other) system drains, caps, plugs that are easy for you to see/get too that you can check for clean attachment? (per that video)

Everything that the video suggested in easily check-able, it's the inspector now. I am not going to take off the union and inspect for the o-ring (at this time), I will lube that pump basket lid o-ring for sure.

My son and his wife are coming into town today for a friends wedding, they will be here in about a 30mins, so my pool play time is up for now.

I will report back as soon as I can after I have updated the pool lube.

Thanks Splashpad, appreciate the help and assistance.

Can you explain what you mean when you say that you suspect you are not using your sand filter properly?

Did mine today.... did I angle it correctly?

View attachment 77873

Did them correct in my book, that is exactly how I wanted mine to be but Splashpad recognized that I have a suction side air leak, so I am getting bubbles out the jet that are causing my bags to lift up... so looking at fixes for that.

Nice job!

- - - Updated - - -

Have a great weekend!

Thanks Splashpad, you as well!!

Can you explain what you mean when you say that you suspect you are not using your sand filter properly?

Owners manual for my sand filter says to not backwash until an 8-10psi increase over clean, that would be in my case a 125% increase in PSI vs what I have read on TFP threads repeatedly which is to backwash around 20-25%

So, I wonder if I am backwashing way to soon. Why would Mfr say 8-10psi vs what would normally be 2 psi increase?

So If I need that sand really really dirty to do the job, then I probably wouldn't backwash nearly as much as I have and would I get better results?

Am, I doing it correctly. According to Mfr, no. According to best practices on TFP, yes.

That's what I meant and I would love some thoughts on it because the TFP method (25% over clean) is what I have been doing.

So either my expectations are unrealistic (totally possible)

Or I am doing something wrong.

I will be offline for the rest of this evening but I would love to come back and read some insights about this.

Thanks everybody!

Owners manual for my sand filter says to not backwash until an 8-10psi increase over clean, that would be in my case a 125% increase in PSI vs what I have read on TFP threads repeatedly which is to backwash around 20-25%
You'll find a good discussion on this subject on this thread: Backwash question.. Basically, no two pools are alike, and neither are their plumbing or water characteristics. Since one pool's clean/baseline pressure might be 10 psi, and the one next door 30 psi, a blanket statement of 10 psi increase can be a significant variance for some pools. BY taking note of the clean pressure and increasing about 25% from there, we've found the filters to operate more efficiently and effectively across the board.

Examples:
Filter 1: Baseline 10 psi; 25% = 12.5 psi (w/ 10 psi would've been 20)
Filter 2: Baseline 25 psi; 25% = 31.25 psi (w/ 10 psi would've been 35)
Filter 3: Baseline 35 psi; 25% = 43.75 psi (w/ 10 psi would've been 45)

You can really how it effects things if you arbitrarily used "10 psi" as a time to clean with filters that run at a normally low clean starting psi.

My filter runs at a psi of 15, and it has remained like this. If, for any reason (as per manual and supplier) my psi is 10 degrees higher (i.e., form 15 to 25psi), it is time for me to backwash. This is what I understand via manual and pool supplier (the contractors that built my pool). I know no other way. I'm going check out the thread here Backwash question.

Just read some of the post from the link above... very interesting. So am I doing the wrong thing by waiting until its 10psi over 15psi???? The suggested backwash procedure is 20-25% and not 10psi increase. My original psi was 15, it is up now to 17psi (but that's when I put on the Duda Bag today), so does that count?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.