My SLAM w/ Duda Bags & Fiber Clear

I should try this DE...what exactly is this. I'm still new to this...so dumb questions I know. I've heard of adding this to the skimmer, etc. What does. this do and how do I get it. I'm reading this thread and it looks like the psi increases drastically when adding, but afterwards (after a second dose of DE) it ceases to increase so much. I have so much pollen in my pool. I do have the Duda Bag on my return jet...it's awesome. Will the DE help with the pollen. I mean, what exactly does the DE do? and would I need it? Water could be a bit clearer, though the Duda bag is helping a lot.
Mendy - My impression is that the Duda Bag and the DE do very similar things. The DE basically forms a fine layer on top of your sand to filter out tiny particles that might otherwise get through the sand. See Adding DE to Sand Filter -- I have done this a fair amount this year. Just mix 1/4 cup of DE with water in a bucket, slurry it around and slowly add to skimmer basket. Check pressure 2-3 minutes later. Repeat until PSI goes up 1 tick. After that check PSI every 30 minutes or so, and backwash when it goes up 20-25% above baseline (or 10 PSI depending on how you roll).

This post struck my interest. Today, I ordered 3 lbs. of Fiber Clear from E-Bay (Pool Store) for less than $20. I actually called the company and they put me in touch with the owner (spent over 45 minutes on the phone) and he is really a nice person. Also gave me he e-mail with for direct communication. Stated that with my pool, about 20 oz. by volume, not lbs. which is a big difference should be placed all at once in the skimmer. This will cover the surface by 1/8" of the top of the sand.

The turnover of the pool, which I believe happens in about 4 hours will yield filtering (20-35 microns) from a sand filter down to 2 microns (at least what I am told). My pressure should rise considerably in the first few hours or the day, and then I will have to backwash. Repeat the step and now my pool water is filtered all the way down to 2 microns (Again repeating what I have been told). He also stated, that because the product works so well, that everything will be filtered at this level and backwashing may have to be done even as much as once a week. I am used to once a season as my pressure rises about 1 psi at most.

Once the product comes in, I will start a new thread with very detailed information. Even though my water is crystal clear, at night you can easily see smaller particles floating around in the water.

Well, Howdy Howdy Howdy

I haven't updated because there hasn't been much to update about... until now that is!!

So in the weeks since my last post, I have not been able to keep the pool up to Par, can't run the pump past 1200RPMs without creating all kinds of air intake, this hampers vacuuming as well as circulation... so that said, a SLAM will be in order once the repairs are completed which as of right now I expect will be this week.

The Dude has been MIA so I have gone the less preferred route (local pool store) but it is what it is. I shouldn't complain about them really, I just like "The Dude".

Ok Parts list

2 x Pentair 2 way valve
1 x Pentair 3 way valve
1 x FlowVis Flow Meter

Valves and FlowVis.jpg

Our Handy man John is here today and started building out our new pool pad area, build it up and then level it off even into the ground under the deck.

Build 1.jpgBuild 3.jpg

As you can see, it is going to get much larger and give us room for upgrades down the road.

I will update but I HOPE these next several days will see changes happening pretty quickly.

Thanks for hanging in there,

Current pic of Pool
7_2_1018.jpg

When I sweep, the Blue of the liner becomes apparent immediately but I am sweeping algae into dust which makes pool cloudy. With my Vac that will come up easily and then SLAM.

Last edited:
I have posted before about how a TFP pool becomes Bullet Proof.

Well consider the following, the picture I posted previously that showed current condition of the pool... I have n e g l e c t e d this pool once it became clear that I needed valve work. By neglected I mean, I have not been regular at all about keeping chlorine levels proper, I would test once a week and add 1 Gallon of 12.5% once a week.

I too basically went into limp mode... and after 4 weeks, this is all the worse it looks and can easily be recovered.

This is a testimony to the power of the SLAM process and passing the OCLT. There is no other explanation. These 2 processes do such a thorough job that you basically end up with a Bullet Proof pool, even with some neglect, it will snap back very quickly.

Remember this when you have to leave town for a week or so.

I will bet anyone a donut that IF your pool is balanced when you leave, outside of some extreme event (Hurricane, Tropical Storm, Vandalism) you will not return home to a swamp.

Vac, ramp Chlorine level back up, run your tests and right back in business.

For me that is Bullet Proof.

Used to be that rain could cause all kinds of havoc in our pool. Now I understand that our water balance was so knifes edge that it didn't take much, now it would need several weeks and a Sledge Hammer to really cause concern.

For me and our home, there is no better methodology.

Ok Sermon time is over... lets get to the PICTURES!!

So the pool store dudes are here now... handy man john got our new equipment area prepped for them.

Build 5.jpgBuild 6.jpgBuild 7.jpg

Will be back in a bit to show new set up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.