May 8, 2018
Winder, GA
I keep hearing people talk about their pH rising and then blaming it on the level their TA is at...

My pH is low at the moment, my TA is also quite low.

Can I just add Baking Soda to my pool (per poolmath) and wait for pH to rise over time, or is that just not how that works...

If so, is there some equilibrium PPM of TA that will yield homeostasis at ~7.4 ;)

I have noticed a correlation in TA and PH. At least in my pool. Usually if I add baking soda to raise PH, my alkalinity goes up also. I believe (and if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me) that alkalinity is a buffer for ph.
Baking soda is used to raise ta not pH. But the fact that your ta goes up pulls the ph up also.

I keep hearing people talk about their pH rising and then blaming it on the level their TA is at...

My pH is low at the moment, my TA is also quite low.

Can I just add Baking Soda to my pool (per poolmath) and wait for pH to rise over time, or is that just not how that works...

If so, is there some equilibrium PPM of TA that will yield homeostasis at ~7.4 ;)
Yes if you add baking soda to raise the TA generally the pH will come up as well

So if I add baking soda to raise TA over time I can expect my pH to come up?

Main issue with low pH is eye pain right? pH is around 6.8 and it's not a big deal to me or my wife on the eye front (our well water is a bit lower than even that). I figure I'll add baking soda to get TA in range (it's at 30ppm) and wait awhile to see what pH does...

Add baking soda to get TA to 60 or so. Then test pH a couple days later. Aeration will raise pH.

Are you testing with what you show in your signature? Highly recommend getting a proper test kit.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This was from last night.

I added Washing soda since the low pH reading.

I feel much much better now that I can test FC and cc accurately

FC 8.5
CC 0.5
pH 7.4
Hardness (hth) never went red so 0?
TA 50
CYA 50
f34d4d0908aa97fd04798ed78c3e30df.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.