16 x 32 Big Enough?

When we first had the pb come out to quote for us, I hadn't researched pools much at all.........all I knew was that I wanted a BIG pool. I told him to quote us on 20x40 and he looked at me and said "mam that is a LOT of pool" then he looked at my husband like I was crazy. We ulitmately decided on a true "L" which I love. 18x36x26? The long (26')shallow end is all 3' deep going to 8' at the deep end with a swim out bench at the deep end. I love this for the extended shallow area as a play area and still a deep end. We had some friends over last weekend with 4 adults and 6 children ranging in age from 5-14 we had plenty of room for relaxing and kids cannon balls with all 10 people in the pool.

I agree with a previous poster that said nobody ever wishes they got a smaller pool.......I haven't met anyone who does. :)

Brentr said:
IMHO 16 x 32 is way too big. Our pool is 10 x 20 and is the perfect size. It is easy to keep clean and cost less to upkeep. This is a pic of some of our closest friends, ages from 3years old to 70+ years old. I lost count at 25 people and as you can see there is a lot more room for more people. It is also big enough to swim laps and play volleyball.
DSCN9722.jpg

LOL...While it seems as though your pool size works for you, I do not think most people envsion enjoying their private pool in that manner. I mean, "a lot more room for more people"----IDK man, safety comes to mind....and swim laps?! C'mon...

Our pool is 18'x33' and is a nice size for swimming laps and parties, most will tell you get the biggest you can.
It's usually just a matter of time before you say wish I would have got the bigger one
That's what happened to us
We 1st purchased a 18' round only to get a bigger one later
Should have just purchased the big one the 1st time around instead of buying a pool twice
Get the biggest pool the space allows for and can afford

pool_snob said:
Brentr said:
IMHO 16 x 32 is way too big. Our pool is 10 x 20 and is the perfect size. It is easy to keep clean and cost less to upkeep. This is a pic of some of our closest friends, ages from 3years old to 70+ years old. I lost count at 25 people and as you can see there is a lot more room for more people. It is also big enough to swim laps and play volleyball.
QCBY5Dr.jpg

LOL...While it seems as though your pool size works for you, I do not think most people envsion enjoying their private pool in that manner. I mean, "a lot more room for more people"----IDK man, safety comes to mind....and swim laps?! C'mon...
I was only trying to make a point what a small pool can do for you. Small pools have many many advantages like upkeep and heating. We probably entertain more than the average person (at least 45-50 weekends per any year). I wish we had more deck space. On the average we have 6-8 people over every weekend and the pool is never too small. In fact several of our friends who have larger pools are in the process of making them smaller and the others wish they had a smaller pool. Just differences in opinion as long as you all have fun and enjoyment :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks again everyone! We've asked for 20x40 bids from the new places we've contacted. And asked the one early bidder to update to 20x40. We did like someone mentioned and staked it out, then had the family walk around the interior. 20x40 seemed about right, considering the tanning shelf will encroach, and possibly some of the spa.

And yes, The plan is to build a gunite pool.

Now we're having problems just getting quotes as the season heats up, I guess builders around our area have enough business. But we have one place coming out tomorrow, so well see. Would like to be building soon.

DogtownTX said:
Thanks again everyone! We've asked for 20x40 bids from the new places we've contacted. And asked the one early bidder to update to 20x40. We did like someone mentioned and staked it out, then had the family walk around the interior. 20x40 seemed about right, considering the tanning shelf will encroach, and possibly some of the spa.

And yes, The plan is to build a gunite pool.

Now we're having problems just getting quotes as the season heats up, I guess builders around our area have enough business. But we have one place coming out tomorrow, so well see. Would like to be building soon.

The quality is also probably higher for a pool built in the winter as the contractors are more likely to take their time rather than rush through to get to the next job.

Do you have a photo of your pool? We are building a 17' 1/2" x 33' plus a 9x9 spa and when they excavation took place it seemed really big, we requested to make it smaller but they said it will be another 4thousand dollar. Im extremely worried that is going to look too big in our yard. I would like to get a sense of your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would not make it smaller. Ours is 18 x 40 and I wish it was bigger! Can you post pics?

My advice: When it comes to motorcycles, boats or pools...you'll be happier and financially ahead by buying your second one first.

I have already read this post a few times in the past month. I started looking at a 16x32 and now have decided on a 18x36. I'm sure this post is referenced often

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.