Pool Still Green After Opening

If the pool water is clear there is no reason to not be swimming! You can swim safely with FC up to SLAM level.

Take care.

True. The problem is it's been raining ALL WEEK and now the pool is cold again. LOL I sure hope this coming week is a better one. Need the sun to heat those solar panels so that the pool gets warmer.

If the pool water is clear there is no reason to not be swimming! You can swim safely with FC up to SLAM level.

Take care.

- - - Updated - - -

I sure hope so!!!

Looking really clear and sparkly. I'd say just the OCLT left and it's swimming time!

Does look kinda sparkly, huh? :)

That water is REALLY showing it's sparkle in those pics!

Kim:kim:

Ok, almost at my whits end with this. So I was THINKING and HOPING this dang pool was FINALLY on the right track. So this AM after adding bleach (my first test today) 30 min later it was testing at 14.5 (maybe around 10:30/11). I then had to go out for a few hours and just came back and tested it again around 3:40-ish and it was reading 8.5!!!!!! What the heck? Yeah we DO have full sun today but that seems like a HUGE loss in that short period of time. Am I right?

I added a ton more bleach and just tested it again and it's at 13.5. I was hoping to not have to add more until later tonight but that doesn't seem like it will be the case.

It's starting to tick me off! I have taken the return jets off and cleaned in and around them multiple times now!!! Also, as I said before we do not use ladders or rails so there is nothing like that inside. I even scrubbed the skimmer fixture in, out and all around it it. Scrub the pool down several times a day, vacuum, etc. Cleaned in and around the light. Just don't know what else to do.

I have even re-taken the CYA test thinking maybe I was wrong, although the original time I did it several times as did my husband and we came to the same conclusion. But anyway, I re-did it on the cloudy, rainy day, a cloudy day and got the same number. Just did it again since it's a sunny day and it's the same. So yeah, not sure what the heck is going on but I am seriously starting to think that I will NOT pass the test tonight which stinks!!!

You might still pass OCLT tonight. Maybe you miscounted drops earlier, and the day’s loss wasn’t as much as you thought.

Don’t panic! Let’s see what happens tonight.

Ok, almost at my whits end with this. So I was THINKING and HOPING this dang pool was FINALLY on the right track. So this AM after adding bleach (my first test today) 30 min later it was testing at 14.5 (maybe around 10:30/11). I then had to go out for a few hours and just came back and tested it again around 3:40-ish and it was reading 8.5!!!!!! What the heck? Yeah we DO have full sun today but that seems like a HUGE loss in that short period of time. Am I right?

I have even re-taken the CYA test thinking maybe I was wrong, although the original time I did it several times as did my husband and we came to the same conclusion. But anyway, I re-did it on the cloudy, rainy day, a cloudy day and got the same number. Just did it again since it's a sunny day and it's the same. So yeah, not sure what the heck is going on but I am seriously starting to think that I will NOT pass the test tonight which stinks!!!

Check out this VERY recent thread, OP went through the exact same thing! Can't pass OCLT test.... It was 3 days from post to PASS, hang in there! :D

I wish but not holding my breath. No, I am anal about the count and math and have everything (calculator, paper, poolmath app, etc.) there and at the ready. But we'll see.

You might still pass OCLT tonight. Maybe you miscounted drops earlier, and the day’s loss wasn’t as much as you thought.

Don’t panic! Let’s see what happens tonight.

Just read it, thanks. But it sounded like he adjusted some other things in order to make it finally happen for him. I don't know.

Check out this VERY recent thread, OP went through the exact same thing! Can't pass OCLT test.... It was 3 days from post to PASS, hang in there! :D

It's a MIRACLE!! It held!!! Last night my last test was at 9 pm and at that point the FC was 15.5! Got up this am and it's at 15!!! So once I saw that I passed, I ran a whole new battery of tests which are as follows.............

FC - 15
CC - 0.5
PH - 7.6
TA - 130
CH - 220
CYA - 30

To refresh, my OLD ORIGINAL TEST BEFORE SLAM was:

FC - 0
CC - Didn't test
PH - 7.6
TA - 90
CH - 230
CYA - 30

So it looks like my TA went up some and CH down a tad.

Sooooooooooo, my questions now are:

1. Should I just leave it all as it or does anything need adjusting?
2. Where should I let my FC drop to and where should I leave it between? (I'm guessing 4-6 due to my CYA?)
3. How long do you think it will take my FC to drop down to suggested level(s) from where it is now?
4. Once it gets to target range, how often do you think I'll need to add bleach? Every day? Every so many days?

Also, as is right now, we usually run our filter 12 hours a day from 8am to 8pm. As suggested by the pool people when we first bought the house. Can, or should, we cut that back some? During what hours do you suggest we run it or does it not matter? They suggested running it during the day because that's when the pool is used the most. But of course that's peak time and our electric is higher then. I mean, I'm not worried about the cost too much since we've been doing it that way all these years but yeah, saving on electric would be nice if possible. LOL

One more thing, we have an old Polaris 360 that I have NOT used this year yet. We didn't want to put it into our pool if we had a threat of algae growing. BUT, I did use it last year most likely when we did have stuff growing or lurking. Is it safe to say that whatever MAY have been on or in it, algae wise, would be dead by now? I'd like to use it again eventually but don't want to re-introduce any kind of funkiness, ya know? Thanks!

I really want to thank you all for all of your help, kind words, and encouragement. Because there definitely were times I was ready to give up. Like yesterday! LOL I am really hoping that things will stay in check this year. I worry like crazy already about having another outbreak like last year that sent our pool into a downward spiral. I had been adding chlorine as normal but then suddenly it just wasn't holding. Anyway, I don't want a repeat of that and hope it all goes well this year. You can be sure I will definitely be up on it. Thanks again!!

It's a MIRACLE!! It held!!! Last night my last test was at 9 pm and at that point the FC was 15.5! Got up this am and it's at 15!!! So once I saw that I passed, I ran a whole new battery of tests which are as follows.............

FC - 15
CC - 0.5
PH - 7.6
TA - 130
CH - 220
CYA - 30

To refresh, my OLD ORIGINAL TEST BEFORE SLAM was:

FC - 0
CC - Didn't test
PH - 7.6
TA - 90
CH - 230
CYA - 30

So it looks like my TA went up some and CH down a tad.
Awesome! You're PH might be lower, since a FC reading over 10 can skew the PH to show falsely higher then it is. DON'T treat the PH just yet, let the FC drift down under 10, then retest the PH :) You can create some aeration to raise PH (turning eye returns up so the break the surface)

Sooooooooooo, my questions now are:
1. Should I just leave it all as it or does anything need adjusting?
2. Where should I let my FC drop to and where should I leave it between? (I'm guessing 4-6 due to my CYA?)
3. How long do you think it will take my FC to drop down to suggested level(s) from where it is now?
4. Once it gets to target range, how often do you think I'll need to add bleach? Every day? Every so many days?
It's time to read Pool Care Basics! You're in maintenance mode!
a-1) See above note ;)
a-2) Yup :), which you can add enough CYA (per PoolMath) to bump it up +10 (to 40(ish), for the impending summer UV protection, OR you can wait see how it does) :)
a-3) UV will burn the unprotected FC off pretty quickly during the day, I'd offer a guess of just a day or two, likely
a-4) That is dependent on too many variables for each pool to say for sure, UV loss, organic debris blow-in, etc, (just a note, I add the dose for min FC for my CYA to our tiny pool everyday, it keeps it on the high range of my suggested CYA level and it means I can be away for a few days at a time at any given time and not have my pool "crash", despite it being a tiny pool!)

Also, as is right now, we usually run our filter 12 hours a day from 8am to 8pm. As suggested by the pool people when we first bought the house. Can, or should, we cut that back some? During what hours do you suggest we run it or does it not matter? They suggested running it during the day because that's when the pool is used the most. But of course that's peak time and our electric is higher then. I mean, I'm not worried about the cost too much since we've been doing it that way all these years but yeah, saving on electric would be nice if possible. LOL
I would definitely switch to evening hours to save $! No reason to spend money unnecessarily!

One more thing, we have an old Polaris 360 that I have NOT used this year yet. We didn't want to put it into our pool if we had a threat of algae growing. BUT, I did use it last year most likely when we did have stuff growing or lurking. Is it safe to say that whatever MAY have been on or in it, algae wise, would be dead by now? I'd like to use it again eventually but don't want to re-introduce any kind of funkiness, ya know? Thanks!
If you can make a diluted bleach solution and give that good scrub inside/out, you'll be good to go!

I really want to thank you all for all of your help, kind words, and encouragement. Because there definitely were times I was ready to give up. Like yesterday! LOL I am really hoping that things will stay in check this year. I worry like crazy already about having another outbreak like last year that sent our pool into a downward spiral. I had been adding chlorine as normal but then suddenly it just wasn't holding. Anyway, I don't want a repeat of that and hope it all goes well this year. You can be sure I will definitely be up on it. Thanks again!!
You are on the right track! I'm thrilled the forum gave you the support to push through! You can enjoy "trouble-free" liquid crystal this year!

Pump run time: do what works best for you and your wallet. So long as your pool is as clean as you want it to be run it only as long as that takes.

I say test and add your FC EVERY day/evening. I add mine after the sun is off the pool that way the FC only has to deal with what is in the water and not worry about the sun taking any of it.

I WOULD keep your FC at the upper end of the FC/CYA chart for at least 2 weeks. See how that goes and we look at your pool and test results then.

Hose and cleaner-Do as said above-clean it GOOD with a 50/50 of bleach/water. Let is soak in a large tub or can for about 2 hours. It should be good to go after that!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Higher CYA will help if you continue to see major losses in FC from sun, I'd either leave it for now or go up to 40ppm.
You can add every couple of days but it will cost more money (due to having to over add and proportionally more FC burning off due to less CYA protection).
Pump running during the day = conserving pool temp, running at night = lowering pool temp. I do not know by how much, but thats one of the few reasons that I have heard to run it at night. Also for skimming purposes, so prior to swim time...

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I guess I will just wait a little to see where things lie once the chlorine is down to normal. And, I totally forgot about our solar heater. LOL So yeah, guess we have to run the pump during the day if we want the pool to heat up. And I'll most definitely be soaking the auto cleaner.

LOL Yeah you did. As did many others. But that's ok. So here is a pic of our pool tonight after the pump was off. So nice and clear. Now it just needs to get a little warmer so that we can go in!! LOL

Very nice!

Regarding pump run time: personally I like to see how little run time I can get away with. Right now mine runs from midnight to 6am. I might try midnight to 5am soon, maybe even less. Unless you need to run it in tandem with a heater, there's no reason to run it other than to mix the chlorine and to remove debris from the surface.

Yeah I was hoping to cut down the run time but sadly mine does need to be running for the solar heater. Bleh

Very nice!

Regarding pump run time: personally I like to see how little run time I can get away with. Right now mine runs from midnight to 6am. I might try midnight to 5am soon, maybe even less. Unless you need to run it in tandem with a heater, there's no reason to run it other than to mix the chlorine and to remove debris from the surface.

You cheated by taking all the water out and not telling us!

Wow, that looks amazing!

Ok guys. I think something seems off. But I could be wrong. So you know yesterday morning I got up and tested the water around 5:30 am and passed. It went down from 15.5 to 15 overnight. I had asked how long everyone thought it would take the excess FC to burn off before I'd be down to normal levels. Splashpad suggest possibly 1 or 2 days. Well last night around 9:30 I tested and it was down to 5!! A loss of 10 between 5:30 am and 9-ish pm (which was one day, I guess, as suggested)! Does that seems excessive? It was sunny and hot all day and our pool gets full sun from about 10 am until 7/8 pm.

Anyway, the pump had already been off at that point and so I figured I'd just add the bleach it needed today. Well I just now tested again and now it's down to 3.5 from 5 last night. I think it may be time to up my CYA to 40. Do you think? I'm starting to get scared about things going downhill ALREADY like last year when the chlorine wasn't holding then the algae started. Why the heck won't it hold??? It's starting to tick me off or is this normal and I'm overreacting?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.