New Pool Build Thread in Cypress TX (NW Houston)

Mar 31, 2018
Cypress
I had another thread asking for recommendations on our pool build but now that we are ready to rock and roll, I wanted to start a new thread with the actual build process. I have also updated my signature with all of the details and equipment. Please let me know if there are any other details that I should include.

You can't really tell from these pics but we are going with sand set travertine pavers for our decking and a wood look acrylic topping for our existing covered patio deck. Also there is a separate fire pit being built off of the deck.

One decision we're having a hard time with is the stairs. Go for the rounded look like in the 2D drawing or the strait stairs like in the overhead 3D?

Also the swimming area is 36.5' x 17' but its 45' including the spa. So do I call this thing a 45' or 36.5' pool?

We just had gutters installed and an electrician out to re-run our main service around the perimeter of the yard so they can dig the pool. Now just waiting on HOA approval which should be any day. Hopefully they can break ground in the next couple of weeks!

Williams Construction Plan2d_002 by mikew2069, on Flickr

Williams Construction Plan_003 by mikew2069, on Flickr

Williams Construction Plan_002 by mikew2069, on Flickr

Williams Construction Plan_001 by mikew2069, on Flickr

I like the straight stairs. They match the straight edge on the spa.

I would call it a 45' pool BUT when we go to figure out your water volume we will call it 36' with some added for the spa and such.

Your siggy looks good. The only thing I would change is to move the plaster info to the beginning with the pool's info.

Kim:kim:

Need to get schooled on something. Are most pools self contained systems? I'm not sure exactly what that means but my PB and HOA are having a difference of opinions. Our HOA is saying that the pool needs to drain to the sewage system and the PB is saying that it's against code and they build self contained systems.

Any pro/cons? How do you drain a self contained system?

I'm partial to the 2D stairs...that gentle curve mimics all the lines of your pool and decking. But either will look great, it's really a personal choice. What are your depths? The curved stairs give you just an extra bit of room in the shallow end.

Need to get schooled on something. Are most pools self contained systems? I'm not sure exactly what that means but my PB and HOA are having a difference of opinions. Our HOA is saying that the pool needs to drain to the sewage system and the PB is saying that it's against code and they build self contained systems.

Any pro/cons? How do you drain a self contained system?

Can your system handle that kind of extra water? I would also be looking for the code myself to be on the safe side.

Can your system handle that kind of extra water? I would also be looking for the code myself to be on the safe side.

I don't even know how to answer that question, lol. My assumption was if you wanted to drain a pool, you push the "drain" button or turn the "drain" valve and water starts going to the street or sewage or however it's plumbed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm assuming it might be different depending on your specific cities laws, but all the pools I know of here in AZ (including my 2, and three of family members) have to be drained through your sewer clean out via running a large diameter hose from the pool to the clean out. When I bought our first house with the pool, I assumed much the same in that you could drain it through the main drain.

Perhaps its just a misunderstanding of terminology between the PB and HOA, but what the HOA is saying is consistent with what our city code is.

I'm assuming it might be different depending on your specific cities laws, but all the pools I know of here in AZ (including my 2, and three of family members) have to be drained through your sewer clean out via running a large diameter hose from the pool to the clean out. When I bought our first house with the pool, I assumed much the same in that you could drain it through the main drain.

Perhaps its just a misunderstanding of terminology between the PB and HOA, but what the HOA is saying is consistent with what our city code is.

My parents live very close to me and they have theirs like you have yours - drained through the clean out. However since this issue came up a few hours ago and I started researching, it seems very common that you would put a submersible pump in the pool and hook that to your clean out if you ever needed to drain it.

Wait, I just re-read what you wrote and might have misunderstood. So on all of your pools, do you have to put a submersible pump in your pool and hook the hose from the pump to your sewer clean out?

Our recently completed pool is self contained in that it does not drain directly to a sewer via plumbing. I have a cartridge filter and it might be different set up for a DE filter since those need to be backwashed and the water needs to go somewhere. They told me if I wanted to ever drain the pool then I would just use a sump pump or there is a hose hookup on the variable speed pump that I can open up and the water would come out.

Our recently completed pool is self contained in that it does not drain directly to a sewer via plumbing. I have a cartridge filter and it might be different set up for a DE filter since those need to be backwashed and the water needs to go somewhere. They told me if I wanted to ever drain the pool then I would just use a sump pump or there is a hose hookup on the variable speed pump that I can open up and the water would come out.

Thats interesting as I am also getting a cartridge filter and everyone else I’ve asked has a DE filter and they have it drained to sewage. I do like the idea of being able to drain if I need to with little effort. If you backwash to drain with a cartridge filter, would that damage the filter or cause issues?

Thats interesting as I am also getting a cartridge filter and everyone else I’ve asked has a DE filter and they have it drained to sewage. I do like the idea of being able to drain if I need to with little effort. If you backwash to drain with a cartridge filter, would that damage the filter or cause issues?

I don't think backwashing is even possible or an option on a cartridge filter as you can't reverse the water flow. There is an overflow drain on my waterline tile that leads out to a pop-up drain if it rains a ton then the pool won't overflow. I actually had the pool builder install a valve so I can close it off and not let water escape through the overflow when people are swimming and splashing. I keep the overflow drain valve closed so I can have the water level slightly higher after it rains since it evaporates pretty quick. I also have an autofill installed on the pool but keep it shut off unless the water level is really low.

I don't think backwashing is even possible or an option on a cartridge filter as you can't reverse the water flow. There is an overflow drain on my waterline tile that leads out to a pop-up drain if it rains a ton then the pool won't overflow. I actually had the pool builder install a valve so I can close it off and not let water escape through the overflow when people are swimming and splashing. I keep the overflow drain valve closed so I can have the water level slightly higher after it rains since it evaporates pretty quick. I also have an autofill installed on the pool but keep it shut off unless the water level is really low.

What pump do you have? If you hook up a hose to your pump to drain, is there a setting on it to easily drain it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.