New Pool Build Thread in Cypress TX (NW Houston)

The acid needs to be were you can get to it easy as the first few months on a new pool your PH will push up due to the plaster curing.

Chlorine-you will need for the first 30 days. Your SWG will not be turned on during this time so you will be adding chlorine every day. Once your SWG is turned on you will want to keep liquid chlorine on hand to push up the FC if you have a big group of people over or something gets into the water (people waste or critter).

Other than these two you will not need many chemical on a daily bases.

Kim:kim:

I love your tile! Our equipment pad is jammed in like yours as we had limited space. It was our choice to squeeze it in although the pb said it wasn’t a problem. Does it drive me nuts? Yep. Would I change it? No. Anywhere else and it would be an eyesore. The light we put above our equipment pad was hands down the best thing we did though. Big thanks to TFP! It seemed the first couple of weeks it was always night time when I was dealing with one drama or another. Makes the tight equipment pad much easier to navigate.

Need grout help! For the waterline and fire column tile, can you go too dark on the grout? This picture is pretty terrible but we chose grey, then started thinking its too dark so we switched it to silver grey. We have till tomorrow to change again before its too late....

Grout by mikew2069, on Flickr

I would stick with the silver gray. The other one could be too dark. I think the silver gray will be purrfect with those tiles!

I think silver grey too. The grout will appear darker when wet.

Thanks ya'll. That's what we went with. I've been traveling for work this week. Just got home to all of the coping and tile complete and it looks AMAZING. I'll post some pics later.

For now, I need some reassurance. PB just called and said that the decking crew is running behind so he wants to switch things up and go ahead and start plaster tomorrow. He says that plaster will be done by the end of the week so we can fill over the weekend and then they can start the decking on Monday. I was concerned about junk getting in the pool but he said that since we aren't laying concrete (travertine pavers over sand), it will be fine and any mess that is created, they will clean up.... Make me feel better about saying 'ok'!

OK!!! He is right! Is it for the best? No BUT that is only because it will make it a little harder for you to brush your new plaster but you can do it!

I STRONGLY suggest you get a manual vacuum so you can vacuum the dirt and such up as needed. I like this kind of head: https://www.amazon.com/HydroTools-Swimline-Weighted-Butterfly-Vacuum/dp/B000P6ESFW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1528926908&sr=8-2&keywords=butterfly+vacuum+head&dpID=41q4xapI9RL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch no wheels are allowed for the first 30 days so you will need something to help clean put with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mike,

You have similar taste as me. Are you putting freska/sun shell limestone for the entire deck and coping? If so, do you mind if I ask how much your PB quoted you for decking and coping? My PB is telling me it’s $16/sqft for freska limestone.

Mike,

You have similar taste as me. Are you putting freska/sun shell limestone for the entire deck and coping? If so, do you mind if I ask how much your PB quoted you for decking and coping? My PB is telling me it’s $16/sqft for freska limestone.

The coping is the shell limestone and the decking is light tumbled travertine - more of a cream color.

So they just did phase one of the plaster this morning and tomorrow is scheduled for the acid wash. A system is blowing through and it is absolutely about to POUR buckets on the fresh plaster. Is that ok??

I would see if your PB has a large tarp he can put over it to keep streaking from happening.

Too late. It rained very hard for a good 45min.... :cry: .... Really annoying that it's only rained twice during this build. Today and right when they were finished with rebar - causing a lot of the sand in the walls to wash away.

Untitled by mikew2069, on Flickr

Oh no! The weather sure knows the most inopportune time to let it rain. I’m not sure what this means but I’m sure it’s not the first time it’s happened. Maybe the acid wasn will remove any streaking. We have a few streaks in the deep end from where the plasterers left the hose running pointing up like a fountain after acid wash [emoji35] I can only see them from a certain angle and no one else has noticed them.

Yea PB said its happened before and the acid wash will take care of it so I feel ok about it. What an emotional roller coaster!

Assuming the acid wash goes well today and they start filling, should I turn off my home water softener for the fill? We had the softener installed after the home was built so it softens the exterior faucets. Does having a little salt in the fill matter?

Have you run a set of tests on your unfiltered water yet? If not please do so now. Your plaster needs some CH but some areas of TX has very hard water so..............it might be best to use your soften water.

BUT do NOT turn off the flow of water once you start filling!!!! If you turn off the flow of water you could get a ring/mark on your pretty, new plaster and we do NOT want that!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.