Cya questions

jimim

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
NE/Pa
I added more cya last night. Ran my pump at 3200 for 6 hrs today. Test of day at 1500

my cya is coming up at 60-70. More towards 60.

1. For safety should i say 70. Of day 60.

2. I was going to use a target of 9. To be on the safe side. Too high?

3. Will that mess up my ph tests now if at 9?

4. I tested ph today at 7 for fc.

5. Being I added last night will it keep rising and did I mess myself up. I only added enough for 40 to 60 and I know I was on the low side of 40. Will it keep rising cause u guys say test 5 or so days later but I’m already up. Someone told me 2 days anymore is enough time.

Is being at 70 cya bad for liquid dosing till I add salt next week. I’m going away this weekend and don’t want to do it till I get back.

1. Round up so you are safe on the FC levels
2. The key is to always be above the minimum, it is safe to swim up to shock FC levels, so a little high is fine.
3. Shouldn't. You could just test your pH prior to adding your daily FC so it is lower.
4. OK
5. How did you add the CYA? We no longer say it takes a week to show up ... IF you use the sock method. Once it is out of the sock it shows up on the tests. If you just dumped it into the skimmer and sucked it into the filter, it is hard to say when the low flow in the filter will fully dissolve it.
6. No issues with using liquid until the SWG is running. I am actually doing the same right now (added 480 pounds of salt on Sunday) but not sure when I will have time to install my new cell.

What is your water temp?

Mine was 55 degrees when I tested CYA and I noticed the test results were way different
when I warmed up the water test sample to room temperature.

So be sure you do that unless your pool water is at least 70 degrees

OK, then your CYA should be pretty accurate from what I have seen. Although depends how holey your socks were :D

lol ahh funny guy.

na i used the good ones for that. taking no chances! lol

cause that will just cause more multiple threads started by me with more worries!

- - - Updated - - -

What is your water temp?

Mine was 55 degrees when I tested CYA and I noticed the test results were way different
when I warmed up the water test sample to room temperature.

So be sure you do that unless your pool water is at least 70 degrees

i warmed it up. i forget exact reading when i took a digital temp on it but it was between 68-70 i know. i remember from you guys here that this is the one test that temp matters.

I don’t get this test. I did it again tonight. Warmed water to 70 degrees in a water bath. I’m at 50. Last night I swear it was 60 ish! I poured back and forth 5 times. It’s 50. But I was so sure of myself last night too!

what am I doing wrong? Not enough time yesterday mixing?

I don’t get this test. I did it again tonight. Warmed water to 70 degrees in a water bath. I’m at 50. Last night I swear it was 60 ish! I poured back and forth 5 times. It’s 50. But I was so sure of myself last night too!

what am I doing wrong? Not enough time yesterday mixing?

The CYA test should be done outdoors on a sunny day. Back to the sun, hold test tube at waist level with two fingers at at top sides of tube. You don't want the tube in direct sunlight. Fill the tube to 100 and glance in to see if you can see the dot - don't stare into the tube. If you can still see the dot, fill to 90 and glance in. Repeat filling to 80, 70, 60, etc until the dot is no longer visible. Once that happens, record the number - then dump the solution from the tube back into the bottle. Shake the bottle and repeat the test using the same solution 2 more times. Take the average of the 3 readings and use that as your CYA number.

A variance of +/- 10 is within the range of accuracy for the CYA test. If you are concerned about undershooting your FC target number on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] - add another point or 2 to your FC target.

Ya that is exactly what I do and in the same conditions each time. It’s such a subjective test. I’m just assuming 60between the 2 days. I know it’s not 70. That’s for sure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ya I do. And I swear the day before it was higher. It was 60 a bit off 60 towards 70. Yesterday was 50 and not towards 60 now. Deff difference. Same time of day same spot in yard with back to same sun. Both really sunny days

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.