Help with budget tile & coping selections

Reebee

Bronze Supporter
Apr 12, 2016
Columbia, MD
I have to select new waterline tile & coping for a pool renovation and am finding it daunting to choose something that I'll have to live with for the next 15 years!

Not changing the existing concrete decking, but will be replacing coping, tile, and re-plastering. I'm going to stick with white plaster, but looking for a more neutral tile after 14 years of living with the previous owner's brown/rust floral motif. Here is what the pool looked like last summer, and the materials I'm considering:

selections.jpg

Since my budget reno materials are white plaster, pre-cast concrete coping, and 6x6 waterline tiles I'm not finding a lot of inspiration photos out on the internet (the glamour shots on Houzz and other sites are typically higher-end). So wondering if anyone out there has a pool using these materials, thoughts on these or other options, pictures, or any tips that can help me feel confident in making selections?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks! I have kind of been all over the place, second guessing everything, and driving myself nuts!

My first reaction was that I really liked the Sierra Blue Slate, but there is a good bit of variation in the tiles, a lot of colors that I'm afraid may bother me on the larger scale since I'm trying to go for a very neutral look.

I also like the Gemstone silver sample tile, but it has a lot of movement and not sure if will feel busy or distracting on the entire pool.

On the other hand, the sample tile for Rushmore Crystal seems dark and less interesting, but I like it in the picture here maybe because it is more monochromatic. There is a subtle sparkle to that tile which is fun.

I can't decide on whether the coping should blend in with the surrounding concrete, or if it should have more contrast. I think 3020 was pretty close to what I have now, and 3030 may be what I am leaning toward. Although 3040 would be good if I was wanting more of a contrast with the concrete, in case 3030 would look like it was kinda close but "off" enough to clash.

Obviously I am WAYYY overthinking things, but it is not something I plan to do over (even with budget selections, it is not cheap!). Thanks again for your help!

Queen of overthinking right here! The amount of thought I put into my grout colour choice was ridiculous. About a week of going bank and forth, not really being happy with any decision I made. Told the tiler what I had decided on and he said that would clash and recommended the same colour as the paving grout... which was actually the first colour I was drawn to. It looked really yellow on the cardboard swatch at the shop, so I ruled it out lol. So happy I listened to him. I say you are probably best to go with the choice that first popped into your head.

I was also concerned about our paving clashing with the tiles. Ours are very similar, but different tones. It was a gamble as to how it would turn out, but I couldn’t be happier... of course the grout colour helps with that. I think being on two different planes helps, so keep in mind that they won’t be directly flat, next to each other.

If you are after a contrast I like 3000 with Rushmore. I can see why you might be concerned that the other tiles might be too busy once laid. I think the trick would be to use a soft grout colour to match one of the tones in the tile. It really will help it blend and not seems too busy. It will also help hide any excessive variation. I really think you will be happy with whatever you choose. All those options are very neutral (which I love).

I think I'm leaning toward the 3030 with Gemstone Silver (can't really find any photos online to see if it will be too busy though) or 3030 with Rushmore Crystal Quartz or Quartzite Gray. Here are some pictures I took outside this weekend when the coping samples were here, if that helps.
coping and tile.jpg.jpg

I like 3020 with Gemstone Silver! It will give you a little contrast to your concrete and bring in another shade from the tile. Don't feel bad, I am also second guessing everything. Right now, I have a giant hole of dirt, and have to visualize everything together! So hard!

It sounds like you’ve chosen your decking colour. Now just to decide on the tile. Either of the two you like will work well. Don’t forget to choose a grout colour too. It was something I didn’t consider with my paving and tile chose then I was left. scrambling. Let us know what you decide. I love the colour white plaster gives. You are going to have a lovely clean, crisp timeless finish all round.

How hard! They are all good. Remember you can and should pick through the tiles before hand. Pick out the ones you really like to put at the spots where your eyes will fall when you walk out the door. Then pick out the ugly ones and hide them LOL You can even go as far as to lay them out how you want them right before the installers come out.

I am leaning towards your first pick-3030 with Gemstone Silver. With the white plaster it will be oh so pretty!

Kim:kim:

Can I ask why you're replacing your existing concrete coping with another concrete coping? You mentioned keeping to a budget, and that seems like a lot of expense for not much change. Is the existing coping damaged beyond repair?

I'm in the same area as you, and was quoted around $6500 to replace my travertine coping. While dated-looking, my coping slabs are in good shape, but the mortar joint between them has deteriorated. I'm opting to keep the coping, repair the mortar joint, and use the money saved to ease the financial sting of an Aquabright resurfacing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can I ask why you're replacing your existing concrete coping with another concrete coping? You mentioned keeping to a budget, and that seems like a lot of expense for not much change. Is the existing coping damaged beyond repair?

I'm in the same area as you, and was quoted around $6500 to replace my travertine coping. While dated-looking, my coping slabs are in good shape, but the mortar joint between them has deteriorated. I'm opting to keep the coping, repair the mortar joint, and use the money saved to ease the financial sting of an Aquabright resurfacing.

There is a crack beneath the coping in the shallow end of the pool that is causing the waterline tile to pop off the wall. Everyone I've spoken with tells me that in order to make the repair the coping in that area would have to be replaced, and then there is no way for new coping to match old. Without repairing it, tile will continue to pop off the wall. I wish there was a way to keep the coping, would love to get Aquabright.

Would love to know if the cost for travertine is only $6,500 as I am going to pay about the same for precast concrete. Is Aquabright around the same cost? I would definitely prefer that to replaster as well, but assumed it would be significantly more.

Re: Help with budget tile & coping selections

How hard! They are all good. Remember you can and should pick through the tiles before hand. Pick out the ones you really like to put at the spots where your eyes will fall when you walk out the door. Then pick out the ugly ones and hide them LOL You can even go as far as to lay them out how you want them right before the installers come out.

I am leaning towards your first pick-3030 with Gemstone Silver. With the white plaster it will be oh so pretty!

Good point! I'll have to take a day off work and make sure I'm around for the tiling so I can make sure the ugly ones are hidden from view! I think I'm probably going with that combination, unless I can get mappo's pricing on travertine :D

- - - Updated - - -

It sounds like you’ve chosen your decking colour. Now just to decide on the tile. Either of the two you like will work well. Don’t forget to choose a grout colour too. It was something I didn’t consider with my paving and tile chose then I was left. scrambling. Let us know what you decide. I love the colour white plaster gives. You are going to have a lovely clean, crisp timeless finish all round.

Thanks again for all your help! I just realized that it was pictures of your coping and tile on another thread that led me down the neutral path! Luckily I am among the few that actually prefer a plain white plaster pool - less temptation to upgrade that aspect at least ;)

There is a crack beneath the coping in the shallow end of the pool that is causing the waterline tile to pop off the wall.

I've got the same problem, a crack in the bond beam beneath the coping in the shallow end. My renovator said that since the coping slabs are intact, they should be able to remove the ones above the crack without breaking them, repair the bond beam, and then reinstall the coping stones. They said there is the small risk that one or more of the slabs could break during removal, and new replacements wouldn't match perfectly in color due to the 30 year age difference. But they felt that was unlikely, so I'm risking it.

Is Aquabright around the same cost?
I think it varies based on the size and shape of the pool, and especially on the condition of the existing plaster. The more surface conditioning they have to do, the higher the cost. The quotes I got for replastering my pool ranged from $7k-$9k (!!), and the coping replacement $6.5K-$9K. The Aquabright quote for my pool was $12.5K, and less than $1K to repair the existing coping. (I'm also replacing the waterline tile.) So I could replaster and replace the coping or go Aquabright and just repair the coping for about the same price. I chose the Aquabright, but it just comes down to personal preference. Someone else might decide a new coping and plain plaster is the better upgrade.

UPDATE - So I just heard from back that the precast concrete coping I selected (3030) will not be ready until June 25th, significantly delaying the project and taking a chunk out of our already short Maryland pool season. I have a few options that I am mulling, none of them ideal....

1) Use brick-style coping (Merion Ceramics) - I don't love the look of brick-style coping, I can't help thinking it looks like teeth going around the pool. Maybe there is a way to soften it by using grout that not as much contrast? If anyone has pics of brick-style coping with grout lines that blend/disappear I would love to see them!
CP-760a.jpg

2) Use travertine coping - I love the look of travertine, but my pool is salt water and my contractor does not seal himself. I have read through the thread on here about salt+travertine, and that gives me hope, however, I know we are not great at high-maintenance things. If it should ideally be sealed every few years it is more than likely not going to happen. I'm nervous about paying this much for a remodel and having pits and erosion after a few years. (note: I have had travertine tiles in my foyer for about 10 years now and there is definite wear on those).

3) Keep existing coping and just repair the bond beam crack - this would save around $4K, but my existing coping isn't perfect (there are a few chips and hairline cracks here and there) and there are some "hollow" ones that he wouldn't pull up or replace. Not sure if this solution would last as long as replacing all the coping - and if not, would I end up spending more in the long run by having to retile & recope sooner than later?

4) Renovate in the fall - Just open the pool with missing waterline tile and enjoy it for a few months, then renovate in the fall with the exact materials I want. Is there a concern about leaves coming down on the plaster/pool? Also, how will I monitor and adjust the rising pH levels when the pool closes for the winter shortly after new plaster? Can I just leave it uncovered?

Any thoughts/ideas/pictures would be so much help right now. I'm just bummed about the whole thing and not sure how to proceed, at this rate, I'll probably delay another month with my own indecision :-(

Thanks in advance!
Maria

Open and enjoy for 2 or 3 months. Once it starts cooling down start the remodel then! Saved your summer and get done in time to do a proper start up on the new plaster! WIN-WIN! Gets you what you want and still enjoy the pool!

Open and enjoy for 2 or 3 months. Once it starts cooling down start the remodel then! Saved your summer and get done in time to do a proper start up on the new plaster! WIN-WIN! Gets you what you want and still enjoy the pool!

Thanks, Kim! That's the way my husband is leaning as well. And while I'm loathing another summer with tiles falling off my pool, I suppose that does make the most sense :)

Now, second question - we've always hired out opening & closing, and I'm not sure I can get on anyone's schedule for a quick opening at this late date. We've already removed the cover, is opening something we can figure out ourselves, and if so, is there a post somewhere to walk me through it? I can get the water balanced, but know nothing about getting the filter running!

I pick number 2! We have travertine pavers and swg. They are sealed. Our pb doesn’t do it but knows a guy who does. It was much cheaper than I thought to have professionally done and comes with a 20 year manufacturers warranty. No resealing required. It hasn’t changed the look or feel of the pavers and we really love them. Can’t tell you how they will go over time but I have read lots of people here don’t seal and 10-15 years later are still good. You can also seal yourself with a good penetrating sealant. Just follow the steps carefully. Sorry your choice is out of stock. I don’t love the brick/teeth looking pavers either btw.

Just wanted to come back a year later and update with finally finished pool pictures, since I know when I was struggling through the selection process I was on a constant hunt for real-life examples. The last picture was still a little cloudy from the plaster dust, but it has cleared up well as we brush, vacuum, backwash, repeat!

Thanks to all for the help along the way!

Coping: Federal Stone Precast Concrete - Color 3030
Waterline Tile: NPT Gemstone Silver - 6x6
Stair Tile: NPT Gemstone Silver - 2x2
Surface: Federal White plaster

Last edited:
WOWZER!! That looks AWESOME!!! Thanks for updating!

Look what I have for you! A link to show off your pretty pool! Make sure to post your plaster color as well as pics looking down at the steps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.