Muriatic acid levels over time..

Jul 19, 2017
Kent
If TA is high, and PH is high, and MA has to be added regularly to lower these, would this lead to a high level of MA in the water eventually?

I was reading about how dangerous this stuff is and it got me thinking.

How often is acceptable to keep adding MA? Looks like SWG would raise these so regular addition of MA would be necessary. Not sure how safe this would be...

Also any tips on adding it safely? Mask, gloves etc?

If TA is high, and PH is high, and MA has to be added regularly to lower these, would this lead to a high level of MA in the water eventually?

I was reading about how dangerous this stuff is and it got me thinking.

How often is acceptable to keep adding MA? Looks like SWG would raise these so regular addition of MA would be necessary. Not sure how safe this would be...

Also any tips on adding it safely? Mask, gloves etc?
I'm not the chemist by any means, but I believe that the MA will breakdown and remain as mostly salts. Remember the dose of MA is very small in proportion to the overall pool volume.

While safety is always important, and you should respect the chemicals used in pool care, muriatic acid will not burn your hand off if it splashes onto you. Simply dunk your hand in the pool and rub the area. Always follow up with a good soap and water wash after handling any chemicals.

Never add water to the acid, you will get an exothermic reaction which will cause the acid to 'boil' over and splash all over the place. NEVER mix MA with chlorine, do not even store them together. Do not store MA close to metal object as it will accelerate rusting. Don't dilute the acid, you are just handling it twice like this, increasing both the chance of a spill or reaction.

I use safety glasses, and always stand upwind when pouring. Unless you are going with a proper respirator designed strictly for chemical fumes ($$$$$$), don't bother with a mask. You're sense of smell is your 'early warning system', and will let you know when you are too close, downwind, etc. Always protect your eyes, they can be damaged from the acid if splashed into the eyes, but the fumes are less of a worry overall.

MA is hydrochloric acid, and is only dangerous because it is a very strong acid. Once the pH is neutralized it is just chloride. I mean heck, your stomach is full of the stuff that your body created naturally. It is the pH of it that makes it somewhat dangerous (the danger is a bit overblown, see below) so unless your pool pH is 1-2 it will never be "full of MA".

As far as safety, MA is most concerning if you breathe too much of the fumes in or spash it in your eyes. Standing upwind and taking breathing shallow is the best way to avoid the fumes, you want your nose to warn you if the fumes are blowing in your face so you can react. That's why I don't really care for breathing masks unless you are also wearing airtight goggles too. If you don't wear glasses then some cheap safety glasses will offer some protection against splashing. Otherwise just a little respect for what you are working with is quite a bit when it comes to handling MA. It is really not the most dangerous pool chemical to work with. That is probably calcium hypochlorite.

Thanks guys - that makes me feel a whole lot better!
Is it normal to have to keep adding MA to your pool? How important is it to keep the TA levels down. I've read conflicting advice on this and am getting a little confused..

Thanks guys - that makes me feel a whole lot better!
Is it normal to have to keep adding MA to your pool? How important is it to keep the TA levels down. I've read conflicting advice on this and am getting a little confused..
That depends on your fill water. I drove my TA down to 60 and I still need to add acid every time I top off the water lost to evaporation.

The exact TA you should target depends on what you discover by frequent testing. If the pH holds for a week or more at some TA level, then stick with it.

The time I added MA and got a whiff of the fumes, it felt like what I imaging snorting pickle juice would feel like. You reflexively snort them out very fast. There was no lasting effect other than the realization that I really don't ever want to do that again.

That depends on your fill water. I drove my TA down to 60 and I still need to add acid every time I top off the water lost to evaporation.

The exact TA you should target depends on what you discover by frequent testing. If the pH holds for a week or more at some TA level, then stick with it.

That's useful Richard - thank you for your advice:)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.