New Pool Build - Little Elm TX

when the guy came out, he said the blue will darken. I just assumed he meant the areas that were white, I did not think my pool would turn that dark blue.
I mean it is DARK blue. Looks black in pictures.
I just sent them an email asking if this is temporary because "my pool now looks black, and nothing like barbados blue".

I have been keeping a steady trail of emails, pictures, and videos. Doing this just in case it comes down to me having to lawyer up. I really think they will fix this, but I am starting to think only a chip out will fix it.

Fingers crossed they come back and say it will settle back to its original colour. Great work with all the evidence you have in case it’s ever needed. Hopefully not. I have also documented our entire process with videos, photos, saved emails and messages etc. I did this before the build started as I was a practical, organised person... sometime during the build this reason changed to cynicism!

No response from the office.
Their pool guy came out today to re-balance the pool.
he confirmed, this will NOT lighten back up. "looks good doesn't it" he says.
I said it looks black. he says ya when the shade hits it is black.

I just emailed the owner of the PB. I paid for a pool built with Barbados Blue, I spent a lot of time researching the colors to find that perfect one. Now I dont have that. I also feel like they darkened it just to hide the areas that were messed up (as I can still see them when looking up close). I have the craze cracks, or whatever you call them, on the sun decking area now to.

Am I being unreasonable here?

If I dont get some type of resolution from the owner, I guess it is lawyer time? I am no pool expert, but I see no way of fixing this without a chip out.

- - - Updated - - -

wow quick update...PB owner is going to come out and look at the pool next Thursday (he responded to my email immediately!)

i will keep everyone up to date.

Print out pictures and get everything in writing! WHEN they go to chip it out make sure it is a FULL chip out. They are going to try to just chip out around the lights and returns. What happens is down the road if/when you need new plaster it will cost YOU even more due them having to chip out two layers of plaster.

I am also going to link to so some "how to get a good plaster job" links:

How to set up to have the best plaster job: A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes

Brief snap shots of different start ups: Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Full run down on the best BUT hardest start up: A Bicarb Start-up guide for TFP members

Next best start up BUT it leaves out to NOT put water in the pool right away. Wait at least 6 hours after plaster is put in before putting water in! The back of the card is what you want: google "NPC start up card". (I can't link to pdf files for some reason.)

Make sure to share this info with your pool builder!

Kim:kim:

I have a FULL email chain plus all my pics one one drive, videos on YouTube, and I even saved the very first email I sent with reply about the issue....during the first acid bath, so they can't say "bad fill water" or some junk.
If I would have known this would happen I would not have done the acid bath.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
He came out, first thing he said was how great it looked.
He just brushed over how it looked before, gave a few excuses. I reminded him that I took pictures BEFORE water was put in.
Anyways, yes, the white chaulky areas are now gone, but the plaster is a different color.
he even agreed that it looks like the Quartz mix was wrong, that we both could still see the blue it was supposed to be in spots, but that the black was rock. With the sample put in, we could see the sample had like 2 specs of the black rock, but for whatever reason, after this last acid bath, there was a TON of that black rock, which is what is giving it its darker color.

So he is going to have Quartzscape come out and look at it.
Waiting on them to come out now.

Can you guys help me out with this. This makes me nervous.

I received an email from the PB. They stated, and I quote "Travis, Please sign the attached document and send back to me. The NPT Rep is requesting this document so he can schedule his appointment to come out next week."

Why am I signing something like this now? I feel like this would allow them to say anything and not fix it. Am I wrong?
I removed the top part which has my information and the info of the plaster guys.

I’m not sure but I’m giving your post a bump so others might be able to offer advise.

It seems to be a standard warranty to me but why you’re receiving it now would also make me feel uneasy. I would think that maintaining proper water chemistry would be their out in many claims, unfortunately.

True, but two things with that....PB hired pool maintenance company to manage my pool for the first 13 weeks.
And this was obviously from an acid bath that the pool company did, not pool chemistry....especially since I have pictures and emails from the day they put water in that something was wrong :)

True, but two things with that....PB hired pool maintenance company to manage my pool for the first 13 weeks.
And this was obviously from an acid bath that the pool company did, not pool chemistry....especially since I have pictures and emails from the day they put water in that something was wrong :)

Very true and you do have excellent before and after photos. Hopefully there is no out for them given the circumstances.

Look at number 10. That is very interesting right there. So why did they NOT have you sign this when the plaster was done? I would be VERY hesitate to sign that now. I wish I could offer a better idea/reason why............just telling you what my gut has to say.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.