Pebble finish startup...please help!!!

I think you both should get an SWG. I had mine working for a few days, and it was nice to have something else doing the chlorine chore for me. Over time the cost (SWG vs liquid) is about the same, but with SWG you get the convenience. You're both in FL, you'd probably be able to use it most of the year, right?

Kim, what's up with hubby? When's the last time you tested for salt? Haven't you explained to him that all that chlorine and acid is going to turn your pool into a saltwater pool anyway? If it hasn't already?!? Or just up the salt a bit at a time. He'll never know. Then one day, around 3000ppm, he'll get out and say "Wow, that water is great and my skin feels so silky smooth. That's the day you break it to him that you're getting an SWG!! ;)

Yes, everything is sinking in perfectly....I read the link you sent and still a little confused on FC, TC and CC for the chlorine. Also I would like to get a better idea of how many gallons my pool is instead of relying on the stores info. This way I can use pool math accurately. Is there a formula to figure out how many gallons?

There is a calculator on the Pool Math page, toward the bottom. You can refine it as time goes by based on Pool Math as well, if you add X amount of chlorine and you measure slightly more or less FC than you expected consistently, that is a good sign you might need to adjust your pool volume.

Mr. Bruce got your with the gallons.

FC=Free chlorine. It is found using the FAS-DPD test (the powder test). It is how much chlorine your pool has to clean it. It is the good guy.

CC=Combined Chlorine. It is the chlorine that has already been "used up” sanitizing your water. It is the "bad" guy and you don't want too much of it. More than a 1 of cc tells us something is going on in your water.

TC=Total chlorine-it is the total of FC&CC. We really don't look at it as it does not stand along.

Did that do it for you?

Kim:kim:

Kim, back where Jim was reporting "Chlorine-5" and "chl-5"... I thought maybe he'd been using the kit's OTO, and not FAS-DPD. Something to go over with him maybe?

Yes, so is there a test for the FC and the combined chlorine? Which is the one done with the same container as PH?

Kim, back where Jim was reporting "Chlorine-5" and "chl-5"... I thought maybe he'd been using the kit's OTO, and not FAS-DPD. Something to go over with him maybe?

Dirk I think you are right.

Jim, the test on the other side of the PH tube is not a good FC test as it does not go over 5 and is not very accurate. I never use it. I am going to share a video with you to show you what test I want you to use for FC and CC.FAS/DPD Chlorine test for the TF-100 - YouTube These directions should be in the test kit on a card. Let me know if you don't have the card.

Ok, so I just did a full test with the accurate chlorine test. Results:
Chl: 8
PH: 7.2
TA: 50
CH: 350
CYA: 20

as of now I still have pucks in the skimmer. I would like to switch to using the liquid chlorine jugs. How often does that get added? Should I not use those pucks at all? Or just if I’m going away or can’t get to pool for few days?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are going to want to bump up your CYA to at least 30, probably a little more. The pucks will get you there, but it will be slower than adding CYA with the sock.

You should take the pucks out of the skimmer and put them in a floater if you are going to use them. They are very acidic and can cause damage in there. I would personally take them out and add CYA with a sock.

They sell it as Stabilizer at Wal-Mart and the "big box" hardware stores. Look for 100% CYA. Put it in a sock, tie the end and either suspend it in front of a return or massage it in the water to get the powder dissolved. Pool Math will tell you how much to add.

Sorry, don't mean to confuse things or butt in, just a word of caution.

I don't have the TF100 kit, but the CYA test I use can't even go down to 20. Can the TF100's CYA test do that? And the CYA test is the hardest, and (IMO) the least accurate of all. Be sure you are confident in that "20" number before you add in any CYA. Even if you are, you might add in a portion at a time, and work your way up to the target amount, testing as you go, to make sure you don't overshoot, otherwise you have to drain water if you do.

And CYA can take a while to show up on the test, so don't be fooled by a test that was done before the CYA was actually mixed into your pool thoroughly. And that can take a day, or even two, depending on several factors. Be patient with the adding, and the testing, is what I'm saying...

I think he would be safe adding enough to bump the CYA to 30 using 20 as his current number as that will be a little bump. With the summer heat coming on if he goes over a bit it will not hurt.

Jimmy here is a basic schedule of pool care. Tweak it to fit your needs: Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Once you learn your pool you will know what it needs each day so things will go faster than now. For right now FC and pH are every day tests until we get things really steady for you. You will need to add FC every day. I add mine in the last afternoon after the sun is off the pool.

pucks-Do as Mr. Bruce says and take them out. Go ahead and throw the used ones away but NOT in the house. Those things can throw some fumes. You are on the right path in saying to use them when you will be away from the house/pool a couple/few days.

CFFCC0AA-E642-4D62-AC0B-FBEA330B090D.jpgCFFCC0AA-E642-4D62-AC0B-FBEA330B090D.jpgAlso, I am trying to get a more accurate measure on how many gallons this pool is. I have looked at pool math and not sure what shape to call the pool. I have a shallow end at 3 ft and deep at 5 feet....I have attached a picture. Should I measure the shallow end, the deep end and then add them together or should I just avg it at 4 ft and measure total length by width even though it’s not a square. What method would you use for most accurate measurement?

thanks

Jimmy that is where KNOWING your pool comes in. I keep a log of all of my tests with notes of the weather. You have an advantage over me in that you can get the pool math app where it was not available when I started with TFP. Here is a link to it: Pool Math This will keep track of all of yours tests! I have switched over but still have my paper journal for the beginning.

In the spring and summer I DO add chlorine each day. I know how much FC my pool uses on average so I know how much to add each day. I tip the jug and pour 1/3 of the jug in and call it good. LOL In the last fall and winter I only add about every two or three days depending on the water temps.

With my pool being vinyl my pH and the rest does not change as much so I am able to only test pH and TA once a week. Now if I have a big rain I do test the pH as it tends to go up from a big rain event.

With your plaster being so new your pH will climb up fast so you really need to keep a close eye on it. After a while you start to see it does not go as high as fast. Again this is where your test results journal will come in handy. You will start to see a trend and can adjust as needed.

Pool size---I would cut the pool in half like you said and see what you come up with. THEN let me know and we will dial in your size. I have my ways LOL

So I get 5700 + 6700= 12,400 so a little smaller than you have posted in your siggy.

Now are you ready to test your pool size? Use my size of 12,400 and adjust the pH using pool math......adjust it down to 7.2 from where it is now. Make sure the pump is on and brush it good after you adjust it with the muriatic acid. Wait about 15 mins and retest. How close to your goal did your pH get? We will go from there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.